Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Which Scan Tool

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 11:52 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Scan Tool

I am about to graduate for Auto and am wondering which is the better scan tool to go with

i am stuck between the snap-on ethos

and otc genysis evo

any experience in either one? please just any input as they are a lot of green to be going with the wrong choice

thanks
Old 03-25-2010, 12:21 AM
10 Second Club

OTC makes a good scan tool, but I have only used the snap on modis and solus. I perfer the snap on modis over any other scan tool i have used but it's big $$$ for one.
Old 03-25-2010, 12:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

if you already have a multimeter then forget about the graphing multimeter. go with the solus pro and forget it about the rest
Old 03-25-2010, 04:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMHO, i dont see why anyone needs one. Why spend the couple hundred dollars on the off chance that you get a code?

1. If you get a tune from a local shop they will usually check your codes for free. Put the money to that...

2. Even if you dont have a local tunner (which I HIGHLY recommend) you can go to Autozone or the like and get it scanned for free.

The only reason i can see to have the scan tool is if you constantly need to switch between multiple tunes and you dont want to have to go to your tunner.

But to each their own...
Old 03-25-2010, 04:53 PM
Staging Lane

I have the otc genesis evo it works good for scanning
Old 03-25-2010, 07:39 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by xxrillixx
IMHO, i dont see why anyone needs one. Why spend the couple hundred dollars on the off chance that you get a code?

1. If you get a tune from a local shop they will usually check your codes for free. Put the money to that...

2. Even if you dont have a local tunner (which I HIGHLY recommend) you can go to Autozone or the like and get it scanned for free.

The only reason i can see to have the scan tool is if you constantly need to switch between multiple tunes and you dont want to have to go to your tunner.

But to each their own...
i'm going to be a tech. not just getting one for the heck of it lol, and i'm not talking about a scan-tool that just reads codes, i'm talking about being able to run diagnostic tests

thanks everyone for the input
sscamed how user friendly is it? are you trying to say it's lame for diagnostic testing?
Old 03-25-2010, 08:55 PM
EkS
On The Tree

Originally Posted by xxrillixx

But to each their own...
Autozone doesn't check codes anymore in Cali.

Quick Reply: Which Scan Tool