Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Question for the California guys.

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 02:50 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question for the California guys.

I'm just curious as to how emission regulations go in your state. I live in Florida and we don't have them here so people just drive with open downpipes, true duals with no cats, etc. and nothing happens.

Are the laws there really as bad as I hear? I've contemplated moving there at some point in my life but I'd hate to give up modding cars being that it's my one true hobby.

Can you guys still run longtubes and stuff with H/C and pass emissions?

Thanks for any input.
Old 06-06-2010, 03:09 AM
11 Second Club

No. California is very strict on emissions...

You need cats and they need to be in the stock location
Old 06-06-2010, 03:22 AM
On The Tree

In the state of California, it is not legal to replace an emissions sensitive device without the replacement part having an exemption from CARB. Although replacing a particular device might have no apparent effect on the emissions, and the car might even pass a tail pipe "smog-check", the replacement part is still not considered emissions legal. In many cases, the mandatory visual inspection of the vehicle prior to an official state required smog-check may result in immediate failure of the test if a non-exempt part is identified.

A part that has been issued a CARB exemption has been subjected to strict laboratory testing as required by CARB in order to demonstrate that the replacement part will not increase emissions. (These tests are NOT the same as the "smog check" test and often require "cold start" testing procedures in order to test the efficiency of the emissions system during the initial seconds of the start-up cycle.) A part that has successfully passed these tests will be appointed an Executive Order number and will be listed on the CARB website for reference. Every Executive Order part or modification has an assigned number that can be verified by Smog Check stations, BAR Referee stations, or by the ARB. This number should be displayed on or near the emissions sensitive part for reference by a smog check technician.

Although a part may be advertised as "50 State Legal", this may be more of a marketing statement than reality. Unless an emissions sensitive part has been issued an Executive Order number by CARB, or an EPA exemption, FOR THAT SPECIFIC VEHICLE OR ENGINE CLASSIFICATION, the part is NOT legal for street use.

Parts that are typically appointed CARB exemptions include: headers, air filter/intakes, turbo kits, and supercharger kits. Parts that are typically not eligible for a CARB exemption include, but are not limited to: replacement catalytic converters, downpipes or headers that remove or relocate a catalytic converter, and performance carburetor kits. Contact the manufacturer of a product that you are considering purchasing for details regarding that specific component.

An exhaust system that is installed AFTER the catalytic converter is considered a "cat-back" system and is considered emissions legal. (Sound level restrictions may be an issue in your state, check with the exhaust manufacturer or you local authorities for more information.)

New catalytic converters sold or installed in CA must be designed to meet the following requirements:
1. Must be an OE replacement only - no "high flow" or performance cats
2. Must be granted an ARB exemption
3. No used or rebuilt used cats can be installed

Briefly, this means that you are now required to obtain a new ARB-exempt catalytic converter for your specific vehicle if you require a replacement. The street use of aftermarket performance "high flow" units and aftermarket mid-pipes with non-exempt cats is not legal in CA. For more information on this legislation, visit: Aftermarket Catalytic Converters

If you run headers, they need to have a CARB #. Same with heads I think. You can't run long tubes in Cali 'cause you can't move the cats. You have to have all stock emission parts. If you run an after market cam, the motor needs to be tuned (I think) or you will not pass smog. Cali sucks.

Last edited by chevystyle; 06-06-2010 at 03:30 AM.
Old 06-06-2010, 03:24 AM
Launching!

here is an idea leave the car reg in Florida and you will be fine
Old 06-06-2010, 03:35 AM
Launching!

its gettin harder and harder every year.... smog refs and ref tickets... trick is to not make your car really loud, but true duals 3inch wont help w/o cats lol
Old 06-06-2010, 03:43 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by racerfox
here is an idea leave the car reg in Florida and you will be fine
EXACTLY. Good O'l CA
Old 06-06-2010, 10:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The whole point of them being so strict is so they can fine the offenders, they don't really give two ***** about the environment. The state is so broke its not even funny. Just keep that in mind, when the government wants your money they will find a way to get it
Old 06-06-2010, 10:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

In my 01 GMC I run a LS1 swap ,Comp 212/218 114lsa, PRC 2.5 5.3 heads and long tubes with magnaflow spun cats and I passed...Barely...If you pop my hood it appears "stock"...I put a JBA carb tag on my headers with a e.o #
Just need to know the right people and not go too crazy..or buy a new car/truck every 4 years and sell before smog time...We also have rural areas/Indian reservations that are exempt
Old 06-06-2010, 11:04 AM
Staging Lane

Ben Franklin will give you the smog pass.

Run a quiet muffler and keep tips out the back as it's also considered illegally modified if you dump it before the axle.
Old 06-06-2010, 11:48 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Arc00TA
The whole point of them being so strict is so they can fine the offenders, they don't really give two ***** about the environment. The state is so broke its not even funny. Just keep that in mind, when the government wants your money they will find a way to get it
Trust me dude I know. I live in a stat that's major economic activity is tourism, so when they goes down the cops are out in force just looking for any reason to ticket anybody for anything.

What I'm getting out of all this info is generally if you have cats you'll be fine.
Old 06-06-2010, 12:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been running my car with out cats for years with no problem. There is always ways around the smog test.

Quick Reply: Question for the California guys.