Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

HID install

Old 06-08-2010, 04:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default HID install

Ok so I bought HID's from DDM tuning, I got the 55w 9006 bulb 5000k kit for $60 shipped. I waited a month for this and on their site it said new orders take 7-10 business days I ordered May 10, 2010 and received the order today June 8, 2010. They gave me three explanations as to why it has not been shipped, one was the item had shipped out but no movement from FedEx. THe second was they were back ordered on the item to which I replied to that email "I ordered this 3 weeks ago and it was not stated as being on back order then why is it now and I want to know why I was not notified". No response to that email. I called two more times one the guy said he does not know what is up with the order and will research and I should call back the next day. Called the next day and some chick helps me out and gets a FedEx claim started, then 2 days after that call it is Friday June 4, 2010 I get an email with a tracking number and info stating my item was shipped.

DDM Tuning sucks ***** for customer service, I understand that they are inexpensive but damn those people there are some serious idiots.

Now the install they for some reason design their ballasts reverse of GM wiring so you have to flip the plugs over to make it work, the whole install took a total of 45 mins including the time to call ZexGX and ask what he did, then found out wiring was reversed. I am pretty pleased with the kit to an extent one plug did not work that well but works well enough.

I would say if you want to buy a DDM kit, do so at your own risk, I know ZexGX and another friend of mine had no issues plugging everything in or waiting for their order but this was a pretty big mess.
Old 06-08-2010, 04:11 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im waiting on mine. It should be here on saturday hopefully.. Ill ask ya for some help dude.
Old 06-08-2010, 04:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

No problem man.
Old 06-08-2010, 07:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i was mad as **** trying to figure out why my hids weren't working when i installed mine and after like an half hour of searching i found out that you had flip the connectors
and then like six months later i was trying to install my high beam hids and the bulbs fit like complete ****
both of them i had ordered from ddm
Old 06-08-2010, 07:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah dude I am not too happy with it, but then again I guess it's what i get for ordering cheap *** parts. Glad others had an issue.
Old 06-08-2010, 07:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

This is why I got mine in DownTown LA. 140 for headlights and fogs and did the install myself. Took me 20-30 min :-) good ol downtown.
Old 06-08-2010, 09:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

After this I had a friend hit me up and tell me he could match the price I paid and it is super great quality HID's eff me right?
Old 06-08-2010, 10:12 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by LS1Adam84
After this I had a friend hit me up and tell me he could match the price I paid and it is super great quality HID's eff me right?
from a personal hookup or a website?
Old 06-08-2010, 10:27 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by LS1Adam84
Ok so I bought HID's from DDM tuning, I got the 55w 9006 bulb 5000k kit for $60 shipped. I waited a month for this and on their site it said new orders take 7-10 business days I ordered May 10, 2010 and received the order today June 8, 2010. They gave me three explanations as to why it has not been shipped, one was the item had shipped out but no movement from FedEx. THe second was they were back ordered on the item to which I replied to that email "I ordered this 3 weeks ago and it was not stated as being on back order then why is it now and I want to know why I was not notified". No response to that email. I called two more times one the guy said he does not know what is up with the order and will research and I should call back the next day. Called the next day and some chick helps me out and gets a FedEx claim started, then 2 days after that call it is Friday June 4, 2010 I get an email with a tracking number and info stating my item was shipped.

DDM Tuning sucks ***** for customer service, I understand that they are inexpensive but damn those people there are some serious idiots.

Now the install they for some reason design their ballasts reverse of GM wiring so you have to flip the plugs over to make it work, the whole install took a total of 45 mins including the time to call ZexGX and ask what he did, then found out wiring was reversed. I am pretty pleased with the kit to an extent one plug did not work that well but works well enough.

I would say if you want to buy a DDM kit, do so at your own risk, I know ZexGX and another friend of mine had no issues plugging everything in or waiting for their order but this was a pretty big mess.
dude, sorry to hear adam, that sucks.
you should of hit me up, i would of stopped by to help.
i was also going to metion that other night coming home from simi,
how did my hids look while i was behind you? haha.
because we have the same hid set-up.
sucks on the wait, but hope you like the outcome.!
Old 06-09-2010, 12:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sick! you get them with a warranty??
Old 06-11-2010, 12:38 PM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

The wires being backwards is a GM thing, not a DDM thing, and it's all over LS1tech if you look into the HID install threads. Any other HID ballasts you buy will have to be installed the same as the DDM ones.

I have a warranty on mine, through Brian at BlackbirdLightingSolutions (who sold me the DDM HID & Hella projector kit). The kit works great, minus some issues I have which I think may be related to not enough voltage or something at turn-on for the Bird headlamp control module due to aftermarket fog lamps being turned on when trying to turn on the headlights. I am pretty sure I have fixed the issues because I have not been having any problems for about a week now.

Like I said earlier, sucks that it took so long, but most people have been satisfied with their lights and the fast response from DDM. I know that they purchase their HID kits in bulk from somewhere in Asia (maybe Hong Kong?) and I believe that they ran out of stock and were waiting on another container to arrive and were just taking orders and hoping nobody would bitch when their order showed up late. They recently had a sale in which they sold out quickly and had to wait for a new container to fill the back order, so maybe they are still recovering from that sale a month or so ago.

Last edited by ZexGX; 06-11-2010 at 12:47 PM.
Old 06-11-2010, 12:47 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SoCal01z28
from a personal hookup or a website?
Personal, are you looking for some by anychance. I'm not a sponsor on here and I'm not trying to get written up, but I get them for a great deal with warranty PM for more info.
Thanks
Old 06-11-2010, 01:00 PM
Staging Lane

I've been to the DDM tuning location in Huntington Beach because I wanted to save on shipping + lifetime warranty on the bulbs and ballast.

I think the reason why your shipment was so late was because the 9005/9006 kit was on backorder. I think the only bulbs they had left were 3k and 12k when I went about 3 weeks ago.

If anything, you can always ask someone that lives in and around the Huntington Beach area to stop by and pick you up a set and ship them out to you as a favor.

On a side note, the guys who work @ the Huntington Beach location are pretty damn rude and the customers who come to that location don't make it any better. Poor customer service but they seem to have a lot of customers (primarily BMW owner customers) who go there for cheap "look pretty" parts.

Heard this from a friend last night; What's the difference between a cactus and a BMW? In a BMW, the ****** are on the inside.
Old 06-11-2010, 01:34 PM
TECH Resident

eh did mine on the vette with ebay ones. **** used ebay ones on about 4 of my many cars. never had a problem with them or teh wiring.
Old 06-11-2010, 09:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by benoh

Heard this from a friend last night; What's the difference between a cactus and a BMW? In a BMW, the ****** are on the inside.

Lol thats hilarious. Lee I did not know that the wiring was a universal issue, i did however come up with a way for me to remedy it but will do that at a later date.

I have almost never had an issue buying parts from any place I guess it's about time I did but still was not what I would want to deal with again.
Old 06-14-2010, 02:48 AM
TECH Addict

My HID headlight install went fairly simple...almost a year ago. LSpeed1 helped me with my fog light install. We did the fogs in about 35 mins. Never had an issue. However, my delivery took about 2 1/2 weeks not the 3-4 days promised. NEVER pay for the faster delivery time. You'll still get the "out of stock" email. Then you've spent priority shipping $$ for nothing.

Zex or Adam, or anyone else....every now and then, both headlights wont come on. Just one will. The quick fix is to just flick the high beams on, then back to the lows. They'll both come on again. It's basically a quick shut off and turn on.
Old 06-14-2010, 03:41 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Sommer86@6LE
Zex or Adam, or anyone else....every now and then, both headlights wont come on. Just one will. The quick fix is to just flick the high beams on, then back to the lows. They'll both come on again. It's basically a quick shut off and turn on.
I had the same issue on mine but a relay system fixed it right up. It's a pain in the *** for me so I gave in and bought the relay. DDM sells a relay harness as well.
Old 06-14-2010, 12:03 PM
Staging Lane

I have had their low beams on the car for a year with no problems, but when my buddy got me the fogs for a christmas gift I had the same problems with the reversed lights pissed off at first and we found on their website to flip the connector and all we did was run a couple of zip ties just to make sure they couldn't wiggle loose.
Old 06-15-2010, 10:47 AM
On The Tree

Bought DDM fogs and have been working fine with no issues. My order came in about 2 days. Sorry your experience wasn't as good as mine Adam. I think it's just something that happens every so often to different customers and different times. Luck of the draw.
Old 06-15-2010, 11:10 AM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Sommer86@6LE
That doesn't work because I have a Firebird. I just turn the headlights off then on using the nifty headlight switch that none of you V8 Camaro owners seem to know how to work because your cars came with auto-headlights and high/low beam separation... LOL
Originally Posted by benoh
I had the same issue on mine but a relay system fixed it right up. It's a pain in the *** for me so I gave in and bought the relay. DDM sells a relay harness as well.
Mine has the relay harness. For some reason it still did it. I messed around with the wiring everywhere and it no longer does it...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: HID install