Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Evo Shop Dyno Day Competition Incident

Old 06-15-2010, 10:56 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Evo Shop Dyno Day Competition Incident

Thought you guys might want to know the fun I had last week. A bit of a long read, but hey, never a dull moment! This was also posted on several other boards.

Just a side note: Steven's evo made 499awhp and was the leader on the dyno day until I showed up in my stock "looking" vette to go on the dyno.

On to the craziness...

On Sunday, June 6th , there was the dyno shootout held by Reese Tuning in Santee which was posted up here on SocalEvo. I’m the guy with the Z06.

For starters, I thought long and hard about whether I should call the police for threatening people with an automatic rifle, but I took into consideration that he’s only 25 years old and he has a wife and kids to look out for. Nevertheless,

I am going to post about the events of that day.

On Sunday, I got a call from some friends about a dyno competition shoot-out. I asked if it was open to cars other than EVO’s for the competition. My friends said that they talked to James Reese and since there weren’t a lot of cars in the shootout, I can compete. When I arrived, I also asked James myself if I can compete in the dyno shootout for the $500. He asked me if I thought I was going to win and I told him I’d like the chance to try. A LOT of people witnessed this.

I parked the car directly in front of the garage and opened the hood to let it cool (there’s even a pic showing this).

James had no problem with me entering the $500 contest because he was convinced that it wouldn’t make that much power. Not only were they talking smack about the car, but James even joked that Steven’s Evo would make more power than my car and the Evo X parked next to it combined.

Knowing how much power his own car made (shop car), I specifically asked if he was going to enter his own shop car for the contest. He said no.

Reese also posted that I am the one that got angry. There’s no way he could accurately know this since he was smoking out and drinking during the shoot out.

Finally, my car came up for its’ turn to be dyno’d. At no point, I never ‘tricked’ anyone into not saying/showing what my car had. You can look at the pics in the other post, you can see the red Z06 with the hood open for all to see.

But when James drove the car up onto the dyno, he asked me what it had and I told him (twin turbo kit). This information, apparently, seemed to change his attitude on the car.

He also kept trying to screw with the dyno numbers as well, like trying to dyno it in the wrong gear and keeping the traction control on. Regardless, he dyno’s the car, and it puts down a best of 609 rwhp on his Mustang Dyno.

At this point, James looked pretty upset. He spent the next 30 minutes calling a bunch of people. My guess? Trying to find someone that would make a higher hp number than the (gasp) Corvette. He even put Ozzy’s car on the dyno and railed it while it was still cold to get the most power out of it. He put down a very respectable 523 whp, but when it wasn’t enough, he got out of the car and continued to call people. I think Ozzy and Steven had to unstrap the car themselves (Btw, if this is a Evo only contest, James Reese now owes Ozzy the $500).

(Remember, James told everyone that his personal shop car is not part of the contest)

Frustrated, after a while pacing around the shop, he finally goes and straps his own shop car to the dyno. Boom, the EVO does around 680 awhp with 35 lbs of boost on Q16, but it’s still the shop car.

Then he comes up to me and starts bragging about how he’s only got 1 turbo and just 2.0l. That’s fine, I’m happy for him. So I tell him “that’s nice, so, um, how about that $500?”

At this point, he flips. He starts deflecting the conversation telling me “let’s race, right now! Race Steven’s car for $2,000……right now!” So I reply “Ok, we can talk about racing, after you pay me my money”. He continues to demand a race with him for cash, and I keep replying that basically I’ll be open to talk about it, AFTER HE PAYS ME THE $500 he owes me.

This goes on for about 5 minutes of him trying to get me to race another car to get off the subject that James himself said that it was okay for me to enter the contest, but now that I had the highest hp number, he’s backing out.

So we’re arguing, and he’s trying to tell me it’s an EVO only contest. For the next 30 minutes plus, we go back and forth that James SAID it was ok for me to enter the contest, that’s what I paid $70 for, not for a dyno run.

At one point, someone showed on his cell phone that it did, in fact, say something to the tune of $500 for the highest horsepower EVO. However, like I said above, it was a small showing at this event, and James gave me (and a bunch of other people) the okay to enter the contest since there weren’t that many cars there (maybe 10 or 11?). Even as my brother looked at the rules, it still a little unclear…..

Prize will be $500 to the highest horsepower, highest tq EVO.

However, it also says…..

All cars are welcome to enter the shootout.
(Does this mean we’re eligible for the prize money)

Still, even though my brother saw this, it was STILL overrided by the FACT that James, told me, and in front of other people, and to the other people at the shop, that it was okay for me to ENTER THE CONTEST .

Alright, I just went by the man’s own words.

But now, he was going back on his word, changing his mind. Had I known that I could not enter the contest, but only dyno my Vette to see what it could do, I wouldn’t have dyno’d it. I already know what my car makes.
But this isn’t the worst of it.

James is starting to lose his mind, almost out of desperation. Before I know it, and in front of a LOT of people, he’s cussing back and forth, calling me on many occasions “a g*d damn Jew*, a ni**er (!), a mf’er and just about everything you can possibly come up with. We have multiple witnesses that heard James say it was okay for my Vette to compete (meaning, eligible for the prize money).

James accuses me of trying to trick him and the evo community. I was invited here by my friends with Evo’s! I even know a couple of Evo’s that make more power than my car thinking that they might be there. James keeps trying to come up with stuff to say I’m a import hating Vette owner, but being a former manager of an import tuning shop myself, not only do I have a bunch of friends with imports, I’ve also owned many modded imports.

Now he’s getting more and more pissed off, pacing back and forth, and starts threatening to ‘kick my ***’ if I don’t get out of his shop. To be honest with you, I lost count how many times he threatened me, threatened to hit me with a wrench, or kick both my brother’s, and mine, asses. He’s sweating now and getting real desperate, and finally he goes into his shop, pulls out an HK UMP 40 or 45 (fully automatic gun) and starts waving it around so all around the shop can see how badass he is with his gun. A few people ran for cover but I happen to be standing with not only his wife, but a bunch of his own customers so I knew he wasn’t going to do anything.

Towards the end of this, his wife comes out, and she talks to us about what happened. I realize that James was going to recant on my prize money and I ask for my money back. She goes inside, grabs $70 cash, and hands it to me. At that point, I bail.

I’ve been modding cars for years now and I’ve never seen such a pathetic, cowardly and embarrassingly display for a shop owner. Not only did he let down his family and kids, but the entire Evo community in San Diego for being extremely unprofessional.

So if you guys have any friends with Evo's, send them to LA!
Old 06-15-2010, 11:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

where the hell have you been seth lol

Last edited by Raptor_WS6; 06-15-2010 at 11:23 AM.
Old 06-15-2010, 11:28 AM
11 Second Club

I lol'd, good story.
Old 06-15-2010, 11:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Some one pulls a gun on you, it's SERIOUS! Call the f'ing cops.

EDIT: And for only a measly 500 bucks...

Last edited by ss.slp.ls1; 06-15-2010 at 11:50 AM.
Old 06-15-2010, 11:30 AM
TECH Regular

That was a good read, indeed. If what you say is true, then I am pretty sure he already lost his credibility. I really don't understand the point. So what if a Vette beats out a EVO, especially on a freaking dyno!
Old 06-15-2010, 11:30 AM
Launching!

wow. craziness.
Old 06-15-2010, 11:43 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Seriously I wouldve had him arrested and gotten taken home his cash register asthe cops take him away. Thats a Grade A coward for you right there.
Old 06-15-2010, 11:47 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think I would have called the cops. Threatening someone's life with a gun for no reason other than intimidation is wrong in sooo many ways. If he didn't feel that his life was in danger, he is in the wrong. People like that give gun owners a bad name.
Old 06-15-2010, 11:49 AM
On The Tree

how did he get a hold of a full auto UMP???
Old 06-15-2010, 11:53 AM
TECH Addict

Damn man, thats shitty i would have made a call and had his *** in cuffs for all the Evo community to see. What a ******* coward!
Old 06-15-2010, 11:54 AM
10 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by white2001formula
I think I would have called the cops. Threatening someone's life with a gun for no reason other than intimidation is wrong in sooo many ways. If he didn't feel that his life was in danger, he is in the wrong. People like that give gun owners a bad name.
I agreed about dumb gun owners. I would have called the fuzz
Old 06-15-2010, 11:59 AM
11 Second Club

What a f'n childish maniac.
Old 06-15-2010, 12:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

A guy pulling a gun out is one thing...

A drunk, high, angry man pulling a gun out, despite the presence of others, his family included is another!
Old 06-15-2010, 12:14 PM
Launching!

You can find the thread on SocalEvo.net. The Tuner pop's in at one point and say's " It didn't get too serious. Some word were exchanged, the usual. "
good times.

http://www.socalevo.net/index.php?op...opic=96673.280
Old 06-15-2010, 12:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Dude seth man sorry to hear you had to deal with a gay evo guy like that. Just because he can wave a gun in the air I guess that means he is a bad ***.

I don't know Seth it sounds just like you to be getting all heated and mad, I dunno you always looked like a loose cannon to me LOL.
Old 06-15-2010, 12:46 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SoCal01z28
You can find the thread on SocalEvo.net. The Tuner pop's in at one point and say's " It didn't get too serious. Some word were exchanged, the usual. "
good times.

http://www.socalevo.net/index.php?op...opic=96673.280
What a collection of morons that place is. They are all over the place
Old 06-15-2010, 12:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by djsanchez2
I guess they locked the thread too. by the way, Whutup seth!
Old 06-15-2010, 12:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by djsanchez2
There are some cool evo owners then there are the ricers with some money who got one and think they are now the coolest turd in the swimming pool.
Old 06-15-2010, 12:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LS1Adam84
There are some cool evo owners then there are the ricers with some money who got one and think they are now the coolest turd in the swimming pool.
Its pretty much the same with us. There are some cool people and there are some jerks, though I never heard of any of the shop owners pulling out some straps, but then again I'm sure they've never heard of any shops keeping a car for over a year "Working on it"
Old 06-15-2010, 01:14 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Raptor_WS6
where the hell have you been seth lol
Apparently, living it up in San Diego!!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Evo Shop Dyno Day Competition Incident