Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

All F-Body owners. Quick question.

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2010, 01:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default All F-Body owners. Quick question.

So today I was in LA and when all of a sudden I see all my lights dim and my radar detector turns off. I see my battery Gauge and it was real low (at yellow). It's never given me trouble and it's weird because as I kept driving the gauge went all the way down then everything turned off. I got the battery charged at an autozone I pulled into and drove home with about 10volts all the way. Can alternators just go like that? Wouldn't it start messing up with in time? And as I rev the engine up wouldn't the voltage go up? Mine stayed down no matter what. And also does anyone have a good extra alt laying around? I want to try another one before I actually buy one
Old 07-04-2010, 04:28 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

they say that when you're around a UFO, your power flickers off / on and electronics get messed up. i think you just had a UFO experience.

but being serious, it might sound like the alternator. autozones test out alternators too. the alternator charges the battery and gives power to the electrical system in your car. i'm guessing when your lights got dim and the radar detector turned off, your alternator might have crapped out and you were running on a weak output of power + your car battery.
Old 07-04-2010, 04:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Its the alternator.
That happen to me once at work.
It was break time. I went and bought lunch.
On the way back to work, the car seem to have been idling kinda low, voltage low, no power going through the radio. I managed to get back to work safely, but at the end of the day, it was the alternator. It was burned.
Old 07-04-2010, 11:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by benoh
they say that when you're around a UFO, your power flickers off / on and electronics get messed up. i think you just had a UFO experience.

but being serious, it might sound like the alternator. autozones test out alternators too. the alternator charges the battery and gives power to the electrical system in your car. i'm guessing when your lights got dim and the radar detector turned off, your alternator might have crapped out and you were running on a weak output of power + your car battery.

Damn these aliens! ... I sure will test out the alternator before I buy a new one. I'm sure it is, I can't think of anything other than that.
Originally Posted by Mr.z/28
Its the alternator.
That happen to me once at work.
It was break time. I went and bought lunch.
On the way back to work, the car seem to have been idling kinda low, voltage low, no power going through the radio. I managed to get back to work safely, but at the end of the day, it was the alternator. It was burned.
It's a scary feeling because the damn car seems like it's on it's last minutes of life. Lol
Old 07-04-2010, 02:55 PM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

It's the aliens, stealing the life force from your almighty LS1.
Old 07-04-2010, 03:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah definitely aliens, those bastards abducted me last year and did all kinds of **** probing, just not right, I swore I would make them pay, every time I fart I swear my *** goes on fire.

LOL.
Old 07-06-2010, 12:04 PM
TECH Junkie

It's not the aliens. It's the GM engineers who thought of the idea of putting an alternator under the power steering pump as well as a place that it can get splashed on when going through puddles.

You might also want to check your battery out too. I had an autozone/duralast battery that had an internal short that caused me to go through two alternators.
Old 07-06-2010, 01:16 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I may have a 305 TPI but the same thing happened to me. The alternator went out. I had the guy at autozone check it and it was bad. I bought a new one, had the battery recharged and its been fine ever since.
Old 07-06-2010, 03:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well guys after replacing the alternator I checked cables and one of the ones that goes to battery was grounding out. I just put the alternator and repaired the wire. It's all good now

Quick Reply: All F-Body owners. Quick question.