Old 01-31-2011, 11:25 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh hai!
https://ls1tech.com/forums/western-m...st-2011-a.html
Old 01-31-2011, 11:54 AM
Banned

Wont this make it harder to pass under the table? I would assume the computer would have the year and all the necessary info to let the test know its your car and not an imposter.
Old 01-31-2011, 12:18 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SIK02SS
Sorry if you have a pre-2000 fbody or other
Thanks a lot! I was jumping for joy. lol
Old 01-31-2011, 12:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by thegooseman
Wont this make it harder to pass under the table? I would assume the computer would have the year and all the necessary info to let the test know its your car and not an imposter.
Yeah, but if you tune out the codes, you will be able to pass having no emissions equipment. And since there is no sniffer, you can have a cam, long tubes, etc. The only thing you have to get around now is the visual inspection. I imagine this would be easier to do and cheaper than getting a special smog before.
Old 01-31-2011, 01:05 PM
TECH Addict

For now it's a start. Better a visual and scan type of check than multiple including a sniffer. It's yet be seen/known if you can just clear them with HpTuners, but I imagine you can. As Ryne from CMS has said, there's no way a government made program is going to include software tools in their own program that are car manufacture/model specific to know otherwise. It's just not in a governments budget unless auto manufacturers just give it away (doubtful)
Old 01-31-2011, 02:05 PM
TECH Addict

this is good but there are also readyness test that have to have xx amount of engine cycle before they are ok . this may be the only part that hurts. is getting your vehicle to have them all ok , especially when you reflash they are re set
Old 01-31-2011, 02:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 2004SSS
this is good but there are also readyness test that have to have xx amount of engine cycle before they are ok . this may be the only part that hurts. is getting your vehicle to have them all ok , especially when you reflash they are re set
That's how it's always been...
Old 01-31-2011, 02:38 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I believe Ryne said that if you delete the readyness codes (like the cats or evap ****) that it automatically sets it to pass/ready/whatever it is.

Originally Posted by 2004SSS
Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
That's how it's always been...
i think hes talking about for the people that have before had to pay to be passed and can now maybe pass "legally"
Old 01-31-2011, 02:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by SS4Luck
I believe Ryne said that if you delete the readyness codes (like the cats or evap ****) that it automatically sets it to pass/ready/whatever it is.

i think hes talking about for the people that have before had to pay to be passed and can now maybe pass "legally"
I was referring to the OBDII scan part of smog. That was always a part of the test. The first thing they did was plug in thier scanner and test to see that there are no codes and all emissions equipment were at pass/ready/ok. If you had those codes tuned out, you'd pass that portion of the smog, then you had to worry about the visual and the sniffer...
Old 01-31-2011, 04:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

This sounds like really good news to us with 2000 and up vehicles. Its gonna be allot easier to pass now.
Old 01-31-2011, 04:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

I wish it went into effect this year it would save me 250+$ lol
Old 01-31-2011, 04:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by tripblackls1
I wish it went into effect this year it would save me 250+$ lol
Ouch, that's a pretty expensive smog.
Old 01-31-2011, 05:49 PM
LS1Tech Editor

My question is: Say you have a CARB exempt blower kit with the supplied hand-held tuner software loaded into the ECU. That would mean the parameters are outside stock and thus you would fail?

-Either every CARB exempt tune is included in that database (highly doubtful).
-You'll fail b/c you're outside the parameters even though you're CARB exempt, which would suck
-Or it's all nonsense and either it'll still pass or a good tuner will have the answers.

Anyone?
Old 01-31-2011, 06:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by loloone
My question is: Say you have a CARB exempt blower kit with the supplied hand-held tuner software loaded into the ECU. That would mean the parameters are outside stock and thus you would fail?

-Either every CARB exempt tune is included in that database (highly doubtful).
-You'll fail b/c you're outside the parameters even though you're CARB exempt, which would suck
-Or it's all nonsense and either it'll still pass or a good tuner will have the answers.

Anyone?
From what I understand, the only thing that is changing is that the tail pipe emissions test is no longer required for '00+ vehicles. The same OBDII scan that has always been done will remain the same. As long as you are not throwing any codes, you'll pass the scan portion, simple as that. As long as you have all of your emissions equipment in place and your CARB sticker for the blower displayed, you'll pass the visual portion of the test...done and done.
Old 01-31-2011, 06:28 PM
LS1Tech Editor

From what I understand, the only thing that is changing is that the tail pipe emissions test is no longer required for '00+ vehicles. The same OBDII scan that has always been done will remain the same. As long as you are not throwing any codes, you'll pass the scan portion, simple as that. As long as you have all of your emissions equipment in place and your CARB sticker for the blower displayed, you'll pass the visual portion of the test...done and done.
Yeah, that was my understanding as well. But then I read that other thread and that one guy seems to think the new tests are going to be a huge interconnected ball of uncertainty that CANT be passed unless you're stock, stock, stock.
Old 01-31-2011, 06:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by loloone
Yeah, that was my understanding as well. But then I read that other thread and that one guy seems to think the new tests are going to be a huge interconnected ball of uncertainty that CANT be passed unless you're stock, stock, stock.
Doubtful...

P.S. You have a CARB certified blower kit, no matter what, you're covered, unless CARB revokes it's approval of your product, then you are fine.
Old 01-31-2011, 08:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

there scanners will not be able to tell the code has been tuned out or if it passes because once its tunes out it automatically passes and i highly doubt they will have the ability to see if the ecu has been flashed .
also there are many codes programmed into the ecu that are never activated from factory (for different reasons) therefore checking if a code is deactivated will not work for them
Old 02-04-2011, 02:37 PM
Teching In

Doubtful...

P.S. You have a CARB certified blower kit, no matter what, you're covered, unless CARB revokes it's approval of your product, then you are fine.
The big question is will a tune make you fail? So unless the ECU has a baseline tune you cannot pass smog. But if you have a supercharger installed that is CARB certified you are fine. But if the supercharger requires a tune, will it fail? What I am wondering is, an owner can install a supercharger. But can he legally tune it.
Old 02-04-2011, 03:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Mister Will
The big question is will a tune make you fail? So unless the ECU has a baseline tune you cannot pass smog. But if you have a supercharger installed that is CARB certified you are fine. But if the supercharger requires a tune, will it fail? What I am wondering is, an owner can install a supercharger. But can he legally tune it.
Sure it can have a tune. The OBDII scan doesn't care about your fuel trims, timing, knock, etc...it just cares about fault codes and emissions readiness. How do you think people pass right now with tunes?

Last edited by ss.slp.ls1; 02-08-2011 at 11:18 AM.

Quick Reply: Better news for future of Smog laws in CA