Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

So I finaly got collector car insurance.

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 01:44 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default So I finaly got collector car insurance.

I decided to go with Grundy Worldwide http://www.grundy.com/default2.asp 'cause they offer unlimited millage and other good stuff. Fully covered at $199.80 a year and valued at $12,000. That's $136.20 cheaper than what I was paying with regular car insurance with just liability. Even though they offer unlimited millage, The SS does less than 500 miles a month. I gassed up yesterday. Last time I filled up the SS was Thanksgiving. I think most of the gas goes to idling in the garage.
Old 03-04-2011, 01:52 PM
12 Second Club

Did you price Hagerty? Just curious how they compared.
Old 03-04-2011, 02:00 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Anniversary "Z"
Did you price Hagerty? Just curious how they compared.
I did price Hagerty, but they wouldn't insure the Camaro because my Jeep and Saturn was not new enough If I remember, your DD or any other car can not be older than 5 years.
Old 03-04-2011, 02:14 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by chevystyle
I did price Hagerty, but they wouldn't insure the Camaro because my Jeep and Saturn was not new enough If I remember, your DD or any other car can not be older than 5 years.
Yikes, wish I knew you were looking. Somebody fed you some BS or didn't know the proper steps. I'm appointed through Hagerty and I have lots of customers who would have been denied based on that type of guideline. Although I couldn't sell you a policy since I'm not licensed in your state, I may have been able to give you a hand.

Either way, it sounds like Grundy got you a good deal and I know they are usually the closest competitor for Hagerty that I usually hear of.
Old 03-04-2011, 07:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

this is awsome
im going to look into it as well
did you just do it online or go to a office?

Last edited by tripblackls1; 03-04-2011 at 07:51 PM.
Old 03-04-2011, 07:54 PM
TECH Resident

what are the qualification to get a car insured this way? I have a 79 z28 im re doing and i daily drive my 94. since its unlimited miles does it matter if the car is a daily driver?
Old 03-04-2011, 08:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes. It also matters where its stored and your age.
Old 03-04-2011, 10:14 PM
12 Second Club

Not that this affects everyone, but fair warning Nitrous is a big no no!!
Old 03-05-2011, 12:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Site isn't working. I want to pay that little
Old 03-05-2011, 09:12 AM
TECH Apprentice

FWIW & IMHO, I looked into collector car insurance a few years back for my '87 turbo Buick. At that time, I was unable to find any of the collector car insurance companies willing to sign me up. Most and / or all require minimum requirements for car age, specific models, locked garage with pic submitted, etc., etc. I am in a mobile home without a garage. All or almost all have that requirement. Some would insure a Grand national, but not a T-Type or a Turbo-T. HTH
Old 03-05-2011, 11:03 AM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

I think one of any of the collector car insurance policies restrictions is that the car be kept/stored is a locked dedicated garage, I have Grundy too and the other is I cant drive my car to work.
Old 03-05-2011, 11:31 AM
Launching!

Op thast good deal.i went through my insurance and they covered my car for $20,000 for$200 a year.they took pictures and she asked is it really worth that much?
Old 03-05-2011, 09:30 PM
On The Tree

^ the 67'??? she'd be getting the back hand if I had a 1st gen haha
Old 03-06-2011, 10:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

How does this differ from regular car insurance? I assume it doesn't take the place of, yet supplements if the payout from a total loss (for example) is less than what they value it at?
Old 03-06-2011, 09:10 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by BigDaddyBry
How does this differ from regular car insurance? I assume it doesn't take the place of, yet supplements if the payout from a total loss (for example) is less than what they value it at?

Most common insurance is going to settle on "fair market value" which we all know especially on older vehicles is crap. This amount can also come into play when the insurance company is deciding whether or not to total it out. If sic7 had common insurance on his classic and had $7K in damage they would probably total it out.

With collector car coverage they base settlement on "agree'd value". Between supplying pics, receipts, and average auction value on the specific vehicle the company and the consumer come to an agreement on coverage. This does usually include some strict usage guidelines but with a dedicated agent most should not have any issues getting covered.
Old 03-07-2011, 10:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Anniversary "Z"
Most common insurance is going to settle on "fair market value" which we all know especially on older vehicles is crap. This amount can also come into play when the insurance company is deciding whether or not to total it out. If sic7 had common insurance on his classic and had $7K in damage they would probably total it out.

With collector car coverage they base settlement on "agree'd value". Between supplying pics, receipts, and average auction value on the specific vehicle the company and the consumer come to an agreement on coverage. This does usually include some strict usage guidelines but with a dedicated agent most should not have any issues getting covered.
Sounds similar to gap insurance.
Old 03-07-2011, 10:55 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't think that GAP insurance is available once a vehicle is paid off.

Angel
Old 03-08-2011, 09:54 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by BigDaddyBry
Sounds similar to gap insurance.
Actually they are almost opposite, but based on the same idea

GAP - Car is worth less than the value (loan amount)

Collector - Car is worth more than the value (fair market, kbb, NADA)

All gap insurance is for is to cover the "gap" between what a car is worth and what you owe on it. It is a supplement to your regular coverage. I believe 100% in using gap insurance but don't buy it from the stealership, most all insurance companies have their own form for far less and they manage it better.

A dealership sets up their gap coverage and will keep it in place for the life of the loan, when generally speaking your value should be higher than your debt after year three (varies based upon length of loan, interest, and obviously type of car) deeming your gap coverage useless (no gap )

Collector car coverage is a replacement for your regular coverage and will cover your car for the full amount of it's value as agree'd upon between the company and consumer. This type really has nothing to do with loan values whatsoever.

Quick Reply: So I finaly got collector car insurance.