Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

should i risk it? and run my car at la invasion

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 10:20 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default should i risk it? and run my car at la invasion

like the title says should i risk running my car at la invasion? the reason i ask this is because this guy at work has a 99 cobra with full bolt ons and full exhaust called me out in my ws6 and i ran him once before but it was when i had my car for like a week so i wasn't use to the car, he beat me from a dig but i was pulling him from a 40 roll, but the reason i am hesitant to run my car at la invasion is because my rear end is starting to howl and i don't wanna risk my rear end taking a **** at the track , but i really want to show him up since he talks trash all the time(100% ford guy his whole family has fords) and i know i can take him... so what do you guys think ,make a slowbra look bad or risk looking bad myself by busting my rear end or wait till next year untill i get a 12 bolt or should i just rebuild my rear end ?and do you guys think it will hold up a couple of passes, the howling is very minimal right now nothing to bad but you can hear it.... car is a 02 ws6 m6 , slp lid , slp lm1 , full bmr suspension... 47,xxx
Old 04-26-2011, 10:23 PM
On The Tree

o yea its my DD so it cant down for repairs for a long time
Old 04-26-2011, 11:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, what would satisfy you more? Killing the Cobra and busting your diff, or going to the track, without killing the Cobra, and busting your diff? Haha, just make the decision that is least likely to take the car out of commission since it is your DD.

I couldn't tell you how long I think your rear end will hold up at the track...

Either way, you have to kill the Cobra one day!
Old 04-27-2011, 12:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Is it clunking too? The houling is just the bearings going bad! Same thing happened to me on my 02. Changed all the bearings and noise went away. I was also thinking that my rear end was about to take a dump. But believe me that the rear end is tight in there! As long as u don't hear clunking as u accelarate and slow down u are fine! So now go show some fords what u are about. I also ran my car at the track with a houling noise and nothing happened. And still running it today. sounds like grinding houling noise, aslong as no clunk then u are ok.
Old 04-27-2011, 12:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Plus u gotta show that u atleast tried.
Old 04-27-2011, 12:43 PM
TECH Resident

if its for decent money, why not, I would do free "ego-stroking" run how ever
Old 04-27-2011, 01:23 PM
TECH Regular

if your on street tires you wont break your rear end. Even if you are not you shouldn't your basically a stock car. Plus you can find used rear ends on here for $200-300. You better make sure his cobra isnt on nitrous or FI.
Old 04-27-2011, 05:59 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by allblacksrt4
if your on street tires you wont break your rear end. Even if you are not you shouldn't your basically a stock car. Plus you can find used rear ends on here for $200-300. You better make sure his cobra isnt on nitrous or FI.

Can I point out how much of a retard you are?

Originally Posted by allblacksrt4
if your on street tires you wont break your rear end. Even if you are not you shouldn't your basically a stock car.
I broke 2 rear ends, on street tires, launching ON THE STREET. Not nitto dr's or anything, piece of **** KUHMO tires... 2 rear ends POOF done. I know countless other in person and on the board that have done the same, on the street or at the track... ESPECIALLY M6 cars because they hit the tires/drivetrain so hard

our lovely S10 inspired rear ends can go at anytime, street tires mean nothing. It might help the chances of it living, but its not a sure thing. I hate seeing everyones threads "OMG i blew up my rear end on street tires i dont know what happened?!? JoeDick said if I was on street tires I was okay nevermind that i was on a prepped track and trying to launch like an X275 car"

Being an M6 and full suspension I would guess he can hook that car decent, and traction = boom in most cases.

god Im over on the bullet way to much now..
Old 04-27-2011, 06:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

The howling could just be your crush sleeve getting more crushed from hard driving.. if you rebuild it, you shouldn't need more than bearings and a solid pinion spacer..

Personally, I would run it.. If it pops, then you have an excuse to put a better rear in sooner.
Old 04-27-2011, 06:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I just live with the noise, gives me an excuse to upgrade to a 9in sooner than later :-).
Old 04-27-2011, 07:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Cobraaaaaaa
Old 04-27-2011, 08:32 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by V68Sweep
Well, what would satisfy you more? Killing the Cobra and busting your diff, or going to the track, without killing the Cobra, and busting your diff? Haha, just make the decision that is least likely to take the car out of commission since it is your DD.

I couldn't tell you how long I think your rear end will hold up at the track...

Either way, you have to kill the Cobra one day!
well i really want to kill the cobra plus i have been wanting to go to the la invasion but haven't had a chance to go and i want to make it out this year.

Originally Posted by mannyman84
Is it clunking too? The houling is just the bearings going bad! Same thing happened to me on my 02. Changed all the bearings and noise went away. I was also thinking that my rear end was about to take a dump. But believe me that the rear end is tight in there! As long as u don't hear clunking as u accelarate and slow down u are fine! So now go show some fords what u are about. I also ran my car at the track with a houling noise and nothing happened. And still running it today. sounds like grinding houling noise, aslong as no clunk then u are ok.
it howls mostly once you go over 40 mph i also notice when i shift real slow you can hear a clunking noise coming from the rear.. but the clunking noise is not there when i accelerate or decelerate

Last edited by 88_thirdgen; 04-27-2011 at 08:48 PM.
Old 04-27-2011, 08:44 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SS4Luck
Can I point out how much of a retard you are?

I broke 2 rear ends, on street tires, launching ON THE STREET. Not nitto dr's or anything, piece of **** KUHMO tires... 2 rear ends POOF done. I know countless other in person and on the board that have done the same, on the street or at the track... ESPECIALLY M6 cars because they hit the tires/drivetrain so hard

our lovely S10 inspired rear ends can go at anytime, street tires mean nothing. It might help the chances of it living, but its not a sure thing. I hate seeing everyones threads "OMG i blew up my rear end on street tires i dont know what happened?!? JoeDick said if I was on street tires I was okay nevermind that i was on a prepped track and trying to launch like an X275 car"

Being an M6 and full suspension I would guess he can hook that car decent, and traction = boom in most cases.

god Im over on the bullet way to much now..
very nicely put ss4luck, stock 10 bolts are crap my old car was a 88 v6 camaro and i managed to break that one too.... after installing the suspension on my ws6 i started to practice launching and was loving how the car hooked but it obviously slowly killed it

Originally Posted by SVThuh
The howling could just be your crush sleeve getting more crushed from hard driving.. if you rebuild it, you shouldn't need more than bearings and a solid pinion spacer..

Personally, I would run it.. If it pops, then you have an excuse to put a better rear in sooner.
yea im going to end up doing that .. by the way what is the thickest gear oil we can run on our rear. i drained and filled it with 75-90 and lsd additive in hopes it would help but didnt change anything..

Last edited by 88_thirdgen; 04-27-2011 at 08:50 PM.
Old 04-28-2011, 02:00 AM
11 Second Club

if you can't afford to fix it if it breaks, then dont race it. because as the saying goes " you have to pay to play."
Old 04-28-2011, 03:31 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by jsteele90
if you can't afford to fix it if it breaks, then dont race it. because as the saying goes " you have to pay to play."
very true..
Old 04-28-2011, 03:33 PM
On The Tree

anyone running 3.73 in a m6? how do you like it
cant decide between 3.73 or 4.10 anyone?
Old 04-28-2011, 04:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 88_thirdgen
like the title says should i risk running my car at la invasion? the reason i ask this is because this guy at work has a 99 cobra with full bolt ons and full exhaust called me out in my ws6 and i ran him once before but it was when i had my car for like a week so i wasn't use to the car, he beat me from a dig but i was pulling him from a 40 roll, but the reason i am hesitant to run my car at la invasion is because my rear end is starting to howl and i don't wanna risk my rear end taking a **** at the track , but i really want to show him up since he talks trash all the time(100% ford guy his whole family has fords) and i know i can take him... so what do you guys think ,make a slowbra look bad or risk looking bad myself by busting my rear end or wait till next year untill i get a 12 bolt or should i just rebuild my rear end ?and do you guys think it will hold up a couple of passes, the howling is very minimal right now nothing to bad but you can hear it.... car is a 02 ws6 m6 , slp lid , slp lm1 , full bmr suspension... 47,xxx
If you're going to be on street tires then that'll lessen your chances of blowing your diff but it may still blow regardless of what tires you run. If it's making a clunking sound I would check the torque arm and make sure the bolts aren't lose or the bracket is damaged.

Just give the car a complete look-over before you go to the track. It would also help to have a AAA card handy or someone that does...just in case.

TIP to help the diff live a little longer: don't do any dry burnouts or pop the clutch when launching the car. When I had my 98 Z28 I would always run on street tires. I would do a burnout in the waterbox, stage and launch the car without poping the clutch. Just slip it out of the hole. It'll help with traction and give you a launch. Just don't smoke the clutch. I remember my diff lived up till the 1st day I put drag radials on it and did a dry burnout.

If you're willing to come down to south bay area I can put it on the lift and give it a "once-over". Just PM me.
Old 04-29-2011, 12:02 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by SVThuh

lol couldnt be more wrong.... once the gears howl, they will always howl... the pattern is worn into the gears....
Old 04-29-2011, 08:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Ryne @ CMS
lol couldnt be more wrong.... once the gears howl, they will always howl... the pattern is worn into the gears....
+1
Old 04-29-2011, 08:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

"Gotta risk it, to get the biscuit!"

lol