Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

24x ignition in CA how can I pass smog?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2011, 08:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 24x ignition in CA how can I pass smog?

I am going to change over to the efi connection 24x ignition system, but I need to pass CA emissions. So being that I can no longer run my egr system with the lsx pcm, could I take the egr off, install a block off plate, then bolt the egr up, block off the pipe on the back of the intake and bolt the pipe back up? This will give the appearance that the egr is hooked up even though it is blocked off. My question is will this change the way the car runs? And will it pass a sniffer test like this? I know of some guys who delete the egr system to run long tubes, do these cars pass the sniffer test? Is any one in CA running a 24s system on a lt1 and passing smog if so how?
Old 05-20-2011, 08:41 PM
TECH Resident

It will all depend on you cam and how good of a tune you get
Old 05-20-2011, 09:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have the lt4 hot cam, and passed with the stock ignition and lt1 pcm; but the ls1 pcm will not run my egr and I think there are a few other problems with not having a ls1 pcm.
Old 05-21-2011, 01:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You may or may not pass the Sniffer depends.Like said before the tune and other details will come into play.Now the visual is possible too but,first you gonna need to find a blind smog tech.
Old 05-21-2011, 07:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I am almost sure it will pass the sniffer, but when they run the vin and hook up to the PCM that is when I am going in trouble.
Old 05-22-2011, 10:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 412 Likes on 293 Posts

Originally Posted by henry172
I am almost sure it will pass the sniffer, but when they run the vin and hook up to the PCM that is when I am going in trouble.
The OBD 2 test only searches for Readyness monitors and weather or not there in the pass or fail state.

You can de-activate an electonic EGR in the tune but if it does not function and they manualy test it you will automatically fail the test. I am not sure what years they preform an EGR function test but on some of the cars withen a certin year range they test to see if the electonic EGR is functioning properly.

a Vacum based EGR system is tested manualy with a Vacum gauge.
Old 05-22-2011, 10:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

BTW since you have to tune the PCM any way You can change the VIN to match your vehical. You most likely Have to turn off the VAT system too so that the vehical will run.
Old 05-22-2011, 11:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have decided to go with the LTCC setup instead; I know it will pass smog with that system. The 24x system would have also been a pain to install, and coast about double the price of my LTCC setup.
Old 05-22-2011, 11:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

I have decided to go with the LTCC setup instead; I know it will pass smog with that system. The 24x system would have also been a pain to install, and coast about double the price of my LTCC setup.
what is the LTCC set up???
Old 05-23-2011, 01:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I hooked up my EGR but it was not functional-it was simply bolted up and blocked off, and I passed with better emissions results than a stock Camry!
Old 05-23-2011, 11:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 1FastBrick
what is the LTCC set up???
http://www.bailey-eng.com/LTCC.html it uses the opti as a sensor, but removes the high voltage that passes through it; this is one of the causes of premature opti failure. I am going to mod the cap and rotor of my MSD opti to make the opti sensor more reliable.
Old 05-24-2011, 11:53 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The OBD 2 test only searches for Readyness monitors and weather or not there in the pass or fail state.

You can de-activate an electonic EGR in the tune but if it does not function and they manualy test it you will automatically fail the test. I am not sure what years they preform an EGR function test but on some of the cars withen a certin year range they test to see if the electonic EGR is functioning properly.

a Vacum based EGR system is tested manualy with a Vacum gauge.
if you turn off the all the related codes to the EGR in the tune, it will set the readiness test to complete... i do this all the time..... you wont be able to change the vin the tune, because hptuners requires the vin to be of the same year and same operating system... obviously a 97 vin wont work.... of course will have to be shut off.... the efi connection setup is badass.. i have tuned a few, one be and fairly radical 385ci lt1, the system works flawlessly
Old 05-24-2011, 12:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Ryne @ CMS
if you turn off the all the related codes to the EGR in the tune, it will set the readiness test to complete... i do this all the time..... you wont be able to change the vin the tune, because hptuners requires the vin to be of the same year and same operating system... obviously a 97 vin wont work.... of course will have to be shut off.... the efi connection setup is badass.. i have tuned a few, one be and fairly radical 385ci lt1, the system works flawlessly
You are correct Ryne. I have EFI Live and have used it for similar corrections on my own vehicles... on some vehicals they still test the EGR system. I just don't know which ones. Mine is disabled in the tune but still there so if the test it, it works and if they need to see it its there for the visual part of the inspection.

I have a friend that wants to try the 24x conversion. We just purchased some ecu's from the wrecking yard.
Old 05-24-2011, 12:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

http://www.bailey-eng.com/LTCC.html it uses the opti as a sensor, but removes the high voltage that passes through it; this is one of the causes of premature opti failure. I am going to mod the cap and rotor of my MSD opti to make the opti sensor more reliable.
Thanks for the link I will look into it more tonight. Sound more economical then the eficonnection stuff.
Old 05-24-2011, 04:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yep and it is not as much of a pain to install.
Old 05-24-2011, 09:03 PM
On The Tree

You will not pass the visual inspection nor because a efi24x is not a stock engine in any car you willl fail
Old 05-25-2011, 12:53 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You are correct Ryne. I have EFI Live and have used it for similar corrections on my own vehicles... on some vehicals they still test the EGR system. I just don't know which ones. Mine is disabled in the tune but still there so if the test it, it works and if they need to see it its there for the visual part of the inspection.

I have a friend that wants to try the 24x conversion. We just purchased some ecu's from the wrecking yard.
yeah that will work.... the system works well, the cars drive and run better then ever could have with a lt1 computer.... remember run a fair amount more timing at WOT, because these lt1's need them the chamber is nowhere near as efficient as the ls motors
Old 05-25-2011, 01:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Ryne @ CMS
yeah that will work.... the system works well, the cars drive and run better then ever could have with a lt1 computer.... remember run a fair amount more timing at WOT, because these lt1's need them the chamber is nowhere near as efficient as the ls motors
Thanks for the tip!!! I will probably leave the real tuning to the pros like your self. I know how to the basic stuff but when it comes to timing and fuel curves thats were I stop. I'm still reading up on it. I have heard so many horror stories I would rather leave that to some one with more experince for now....

Quick Reply: 24x ignition in CA how can I pass smog?