Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

what are "general purpose" police?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 07:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what are "general purpose" police?

I saw a police car on the freeway today. it was a hemi charger and all it said in the back was POLICE. The plate was CA EXEMPT so I know its an official vehicle. The side said General Purpose Police. They usually are identified with a city as Police are, by definition, owned by the city. State police in CA are called CHP, and county are Sheriff.

I would have thought they were security but first off they had the CA EXEMPT plates and their light bar had red and BLUE lights. kinda confused, is this a new thing?
Old 06-29-2011, 09:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Think thats wierd I had a new silver tahoe with steel wheels no plates up my *** on the 60 then he hauled around me and pulled a van over, had hidden light but no decals anywhere.
Old 06-30-2011, 12:15 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

More than likely a brand new car either being tested by a manufacturer or it hadnt recieved the proper badging. Sounds more like a new car that hasnt been bought by an agency yet. Even before theyre bought they are registered in CA as emergency orpolice vehicles explaining the exempt plates.

As for unmarked cars, especially suv's, just look in the grill. Youll see either red/blue or clear LED's.
Old 06-30-2011, 12:30 AM
Banned

Here, some police cars here are marked with 'traffic enforcement' and others with 'drug enforcement', which I assume denotes the primary purpose of that car/officer. They do usually also say '<City Name> Police' or whatnot as well... Perhaps in that city 'general purpose' is just a marking to denote that it's NOT devoted to one specfic area of enforcement or another.
Old 06-30-2011, 01:23 AM
On The Tree

idk.. but a couple years back a black n white .. tahoe .. General Police pulled me overr for having my foglights on..

"off road " bumper lights while driving on the freeway.. and because they're sposed to have the covers on them..

look like COPS to me.. gave me a ticket
Old 06-30-2011, 02:25 AM
On The Tree

That's weird I saw a CHP Charger today. I didn't know they joined the Charger bandwagon. It was about 1:30 and they exited the 210 freeway at Lincoln in Pasadelna.
Old 06-30-2011, 11:29 AM
On The Tree

the chargers been out man..

Cal State Northridge has a wagon and an impala Police vehicles..
Old 06-30-2011, 12:05 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by rhinosarge
idk.. but a couple years back a black n white .. tahoe .. General Police pulled me overr for having my foglights on..

"off road " bumper lights while driving on the freeway.. and because they're sposed to have the covers on them..

look like COPS to me.. gave me a ticket
So then you have been pulled over by a General Purpose Police vehicle as mentioned by the OP?
Old 06-30-2011, 12:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

i let my friend drive my car once, and he got us pulled over by al all black unmarked crown vic. two officers got out of the car wearing jeans and polo shirts with embroidered badges. They were DEA officers. They told my friend, "I dont normally enforce traffic, but you were driving like an a$$hole" they wrote him a ticket and made me drive home!

so long story short, any "officer" can pull you over in pretty much any kind of car, so just be careful. Im even careful around firetrucks, ambulances, etc because ive heard that they will just radio in to the cops to come find you.
Old 06-30-2011, 03:03 PM
TECH Resident

the chargers been out man..

Cal State Northridge has a wagon and an impala Police vehicles..
I actually haven't seen those lately? The Dodge magnum is a K9 unit. The Impalas are just regular School Police.
Old 07-01-2011, 12:48 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by KILLER-LS1
so long story short, any "officer" can pull you over in pretty much any kind of car, so just be careful. Im even careful around firetrucks, ambulances, etc because ive heard that they will just radio in to the cops to come find you.
Yes we do. Lol. Mostly only if theyre doing something really retarded and dangerous.
Old 07-01-2011, 06:25 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 93Z28rare
So then you have been pulled over by a General Purpose Police vehicle as mentioned by the OP?
yea.. for illegal lights violation.. got a ticket..

Originally Posted by oChristiano
I actually haven't seen those lately? The Dodge magnum is a K9 unit. The Impalas are just regular School Police.

yea.. the k9 unit.. the school police still goes out about 3 mile radius from school and patrols around frat / party areas too
Old 07-01-2011, 10:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

From my understanding there is no such thing as the idea that if you were to get pulled over say by an Irvine PD officer somehow in Tustin or Santa Ana that he is breaking some sort of jurisdiction law ("Hey man, you can't arrest me! You're out of your jurisdiction!") is false. Technically, an officer could make a traffic stop and enforce laws in any state. I'm sure there are certain technicalities that come into play, but still.
Old 07-01-2011, 10:25 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

We've got a version of General Police in GA too. Georgia Dept of Public Safety. White cars with typical squad car appointments with GA Dept of Public Safety on the side. I think they're part of the state patrol, but their cars are marked differently.

A friend got pulled over for one while showing off his new full exhaust on his Z28. Jumped on the hwy for one exit, got it to 120 in a 5 lane and then got off at the next exit. At the top of the ramp one of those guys pulls up behind us with blue lights, we make a right at the light and pull into the first driveway, he pulls up next to us, chews us out a bit from his car and says it's a warning. Looked like he was busy on the way to somewhere else. Buddy lucked out.
Old 07-01-2011, 10:47 AM
On The Tree

yea.. for illegal lights violation.. got a ticket..
So they aren't just test cars or for sale emergency vehicles. This General Purpose stuff is news to me. Good thing to know that they can ticket you.

Originally Posted by C5natie
Yes we do. Lol. Mostly only if theyre doing something really retarded and dangerous.
Yes we do???? Nate you're not pulling over anybody.
Old 07-01-2011, 12:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by V68Sweep
From my understanding there is no such thing as the idea that if you were to get pulled over say by an Irvine PD officer somehow in Tustin or Santa Ana that he is breaking some sort of jurisdiction law ("Hey man, you can't arrest me! You're out of your jurisdiction!") is false. Technically, an officer could make a traffic stop and enforce laws in any state. I'm sure there are certain technicalities that come into play, but still.
Not true. My dad was a city councilman (back in the day) and his career is in city, county, and state politics. He has explained it to me. These only apply to CA as each state has their own setup.

Police: On the CITY payroll. They are direct employees of the city and only have jurisdiction on the streets of the city that employs them. Their jurisdiction does NOT include freeways. They might be able to stop you, but they need to call the appropriate officer to cite you.

Sheriff: On the COUNTY payroll. Their jurisdiction is anywhere in the county that employs them. This includes freeways and streets. sometimes a city will not have their own police force but has a contract with the sheriff where they have a certain number of vehicles that belong to the city and act as their police force. Those officers still have jurisdiction on the freeways.

CALIFORNIA HIGHWAY PATROL: On the STATE payroll. They have jurisdiction ANYWHERE in the state. people think that because of their name they only have jurisdiction on the freeways, not true. These guys are the state troopers.

this is why I was confused with the POLICE car that I saw. It did not specify a City, but yet it said POLICE. Ive seen similar cars but ended up being security officers (private) but those guys dont have CA EXEMPT vehicles.

Also, the idea that its a test car doesnt seem valid. It needs to say "out of service" if its not patrolling. These guys had uniforms on and they even flashed their lights for a second. I thought they were going to pull me over because I kept looking at them.
Old 07-01-2011, 01:36 PM
On The Tree

west hollywood does not have a PD division

weho has a a sheriff division that regulates that city

i agree with you ^^ (fast01z28)
Old 07-01-2011, 04:32 PM
Teching In

There all over Cal-Poly Pomona, Mt sac. I was supprised when I saw them the first time.
Old 07-01-2011, 04:54 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by fast01z28
Not true. My dad was a city councilman (back in the day) and his career is in city, county, and state politics. He has explained it to me. These only apply to CA as each state has their own setup.

Police: On the CITY payroll. They are direct employees of the city and only have jurisdiction on the streets of the city that employs them. Their jurisdiction does NOT include freeways. They might be able to stop you, but they need to call the appropriate officer to cite you.

Sheriff: On the COUNTY payroll. Their jurisdiction is anywhere in the county that employs them. This includes freeways and streets. sometimes a city will not have their own police force but has a contract with the sheriff where they have a certain number of vehicles that belong to the city and act as their police force. Those officers still have jurisdiction on the freeways.

CALIFORNIA HIGHWAY PATROL: On the STATE payroll. They have jurisdiction ANYWHERE in the state. people think that because of their name they only have jurisdiction on the freeways, not true. These guys are the state troopers.

this is why I was confused with the POLICE car that I saw. It did not specify a City, but yet it said POLICE. Ive seen similar cars but ended up being security officers (private) but those guys dont have CA EXEMPT vehicles.

Also, the idea that its a test car doesnt seem valid. It needs to say "out of service" if its not patrolling. These guys had uniforms on and they even flashed their lights for a second. I thought they were going to pull me over because I kept looking at them.
There are private security agencys with full police powers within a jurisdiction like the BNSF/UP Railroad police and they do write tickets for running Railraod Xings ($$$) and trespassing and can detain and question you, old laws give them these powers.

The law states in CA that if an officers primary duty is traffic then they must be in a uniform and a marked car. I fought a ticket after being pulled over and cited for tinted windows by an UC ICE in Riverside fishing, based on that law I won.
Old 07-01-2011, 06:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by fast01z28

Well I guess I'm a bit lost...my information came directly to me by more than 1 local CA police officer.

Quick Reply: what are "general purpose" police?