Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

newtech or synergy for tuning

Old 09-15-2011, 11:03 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default newtech or synergy for tuning

just finishing up my new 418 stroker.

Wanted to get a few opinions on which might be better for tuning. I've gone through rick a few times now for the tunes. I wasnt too happy the last time i went there. With a tsunami and stg 2.5 ls6 heads. my car barely broke 400 hp. Also cold idle was a pain and the motor seems to flood occasionaly when hot.

Was wondering if there have been any good news from newtech. or should i try and stick it out w/ rick?

I don't want this to be a bash fest but i do want to try and hear people who have gone to both.
Old 09-15-2011, 12:23 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

I was tuned by newtech, never again. I now have Mark Romans tune my car, being lied to by a "reputable" shop is a bad sign. I've never been tuned by Rick but seeing the low numbers coming out and engines that run like crap shy me away.

So my opinion is neither, either go with Mark Romans or Nate at All Out Performance in Fresno
Old 09-15-2011, 12:54 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by King Nothing
I was tuned by newtech, never again. I now have Mark Romans tune my car, being lied to by a "reputable" shop is a bad sign. I've never been tuned by Rick but seeing the low numbers coming out and engines that run like crap shy me away.

So my opinion is neither, either go with Mark Romans or Nate at All Out Performance in Fresno
damn bad things about both shops that are supposed to be the best. do you have any examples you can share? my cars gonna be done soon and now you have me thinking twice.
Old 09-15-2011, 01:23 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 99 Blue Bird
damn bad things about both shops that are supposed to be the best. do you have any examples you can share? my cars gonna be done soon and now you have me thinking twice.
They WHO TO TUNE threads are great!!! I've dealt with nick for years, **** I seen nick BLOW A MOTOR UP!!! BUT IT WASN"T HIS FAULT, the owner said spray it , Nick warned him it went COOBOOM... Who's Fault?

Everyone in my crew has been to ricks, still go back, wouldn't be surprise is they were jk,

People go to mark roman, and all out..

99 blue bird, Majority of people will blame the tuner, BUT MAJORITY OF THE TIME THE TUNER TELLS THEM NO, IT'S A BAD IDEA, OR YOU NEED THIS THIS AND THAT, BUT THE OWNER IS TOO GOD DAMN CHEAP , IGNORANT OR ******* STUPIED TO LISTEN. THEN THE TUNER DOES WHAT HE CAN BECAUSE THE CUSTOMER(MORON) WANTS IT DONE....

AFTERMATH, MORON I MEAN CUSTOMERS RUN AROUND BITCHING, BASHING, CLASHING, CRYING BECAUSE THEY WE'RE TOO STUPIED AND IGNORANT TO LISTEN. I've seen it for years.. To top it off the internet makes it 5x worse..
Old 09-15-2011, 03:00 PM
Staging Lane

norcalmuscle, I understand your comments. I've seen my share of people who go and run stupid boost on stock block asking the tuner to push it.. however w/ N/A its a little harder to blow under someone seriously screwed up. I personally have no issues w/ rick, just wondering if there are other options or if rick's dynapack is just calibrated to read that much lower. however w/ my past sessions..
going from bolt on to full head/cam etc... the gains were very minimal compared to other personell on the forum. There was hardly any tq gain and there was a huge dip in power in the mid-range.
Old 09-15-2011, 03:16 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by anotheraznguy
norcalmuscle, I understand your comments. I've seen my share of people who go and run stupid boost on stock block asking the tuner to push it.. however w/ N/A its a little harder to blow under someone seriously screwed up. I personally have no issues w/ rick, just wondering if there are other options or if rick's dynapack is just calibrated to read that much lower. however w/ my past sessions..
going from bolt on to full head/cam etc... the gains were very minimal compared to other personell on the forum. There was hardly any tq gain and there was a huge dip in power in the mid-range.
Well doesn't sound like you have a tuner Problem, sounds like your worried about a stupied number.. Number means nothing.. I had a ms4,3.90 th400 400 stall it made like 373 rear wheel.. But it ran like a bat from hell, went 11.47 best even who know on nitrous... Worry about the tune not the number .. Make sure you have TORQUE ..TORQUE MOVES MASS...

Did your last tune respond good? felt responsive? Were you pleased with it?how it ran? Did the tuner have good service? Willing to fix any issues down the road you were NOT pleased with? Ask n asnwer yourself those questions, then you'll know what decesion to make.

Last edited by NORCALMUSCLE1; 09-15-2011 at 03:22 PM.
Old 09-15-2011, 04:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dunno but I saw a Newtech tuned car pick up over 20rwhp at cms just tuning alone. The car runs perfect now, its a headers and x pipe c5z that put down just under 400 to the tire. Just my .02

Last edited by LS1Adam84; 09-15-2011 at 04:53 PM.
Old 09-15-2011, 04:56 PM
Teching In

I saw this c5z also
Old 09-15-2011, 06:42 PM
TECH Veteran

There is going to be mixed reviews about this but I can say..... My car is tuned by newtech and til this day I have not ran into another car with similar mods/hp that runs harder.

I have met rick and he seems like a cool guy and a few of my friends are tuned by him. If I were you I would go back to him because its cheaper then going to a new tuner and he is a knowledgeable guy. Just let him know you weren't happy with your last tune

Last edited by BayAreaSS; 09-17-2011 at 02:00 PM.
Old 09-15-2011, 10:19 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 99 Blue Bird
Well since you ask when my car was tuned at newtech all I had was a SLP MAF, ported TB and ported LS6 (close to 90mm) I gained less than 10rwhp. I was also told he was adjusting my shifts points and line pressure, I decided to see another tuner when I put the newer stock engine in my car, mark looked at my tune and the first thing he looked at to double check was the shift points and line pressure . . . it was still bone stock to my surprise and that really pissed me off. The fact that I paid $400 for a dyno tune at newtech and he focused solely on WOT he didn't pay attention to the leaning out at idle-1400rpm which also pissed me off, that and my car was running richer at WOT then it should have been, and let's not forget the whole being lied to thing. Mark did a great job tuning my car and he's the only guy I'll let touch the tune now. I love how the car runs now, runs stronger than ever. Yes I did drive with newtech's tune on the newer stock engine and it never felt this good.

That is my experience.
Old 09-16-2011, 12:42 AM
Staging Lane

who is this mark person? =) excuse the ignorance. did a little searching and he just does street tunes?
Old 09-16-2011, 12:44 AM
11 Second Club

youre gonna hear mixed reviews with a lot of tuners, but my motor loves the Synergy tune!
Old 09-16-2011, 12:45 AM
11 Second Club

btw your screen name is funny to me because I am a AZN guy lol
Old 09-16-2011, 07:11 AM
TECH Veteran

who is this mark person? =) excuse the ignorance. did a little searching and he just does street tunes?
his name is mark romans. he does dyno tunes also, but his street tunes are great. eventually when i'm done with what i'm planning i'll have him dyno tune it
Old 09-16-2011, 01:19 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by NORCALMUSCLE1
They WHO TO TUNE threads are great!!! I've dealt with nick for years, **** I seen nick BLOW A MOTOR UP!!! BUT IT WASN"T HIS FAULT, the owner said spray it , Nick warned him it went COOBOOM... Who's Fault?

Everyone in my crew has been to ricks, still go back, wouldn't be surprise is they were jk,

People go to mark roman, and all out..

99 blue bird, Majority of people will blame the tuner, BUT MAJORITY OF THE TIME THE TUNER TELLS THEM NO, IT'S A BAD IDEA, OR YOU NEED THIS THIS AND THAT, BUT THE OWNER IS TOO GOD DAMN CHEAP , IGNORANT OR ******* STUPIED TO LISTEN. THEN THE TUNER DOES WHAT HE CAN BECAUSE THE CUSTOMER(MORON) WANTS IT DONE....

AFTERMATH, MORON I MEAN CUSTOMERS RUN AROUND BITCHING, BASHING, CLASHING, CRYING BECAUSE THEY WE'RE TOO STUPIED AND IGNORANT TO LISTEN. I've seen it for years.. To top it off the internet makes it 5x worse..
yea i get where your coming from. thanks for the input
Old 09-16-2011, 01:24 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks KING for letting me know your experience with Newtech. Ihave been considering both Newtech and Synergy but they are both over 1.5 hours from me. Thats y i figure i might go with Mark since he is only 30 minutes away.
Old 09-16-2011, 03:25 PM
Staging Lane

same.. i am about 1.5 hrs away from both synergy and newtech, due to the fact that it is a track only vehicle i always have to tow which makes it a lil longer. i don't know if i can go w/ mark cause it is track only and cannot be street driven.
Old 09-16-2011, 06:19 PM
TECH Veteran

same.. i am about 1.5 hrs away from both synergy and newtech, due to the fact that it is a track only vehicle i always have to tow which makes it a lil longer. i don't know if i can go w/ mark cause it is track only and cannot be street driven.
He does dyno tunes also=no street required lol
Old 09-17-2011, 12:58 PM
TECH Resident

I have heard good and bad about both shops as well, however I am Newtech tuned. I was when I was cam only and I am now. Every tuner no matter how good has made a mistake. Thats how they learned and became who they are. The only thing I can say for Newtech is how many other shops can lay claim to so many high horsepower cars that actually perform. They have countless c6z0s in the 750+hp range, a couple 850+ and a 1000hp one in there resume of work. I would say call talk to Josh or Nick and get a feel for them as well as let them get a feel for you. I have no complaints with there service.
Old 09-18-2011, 01:36 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Rick @ synergy is good...... take that from a tuner..... i cant comment on the other tuners

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: newtech or synergy for tuning