Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Is there anyone in San Diego that can tune an LS1?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 12:03 PM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Is there anyone in San Diego that can tune an LS1?

I moved here last summer. When I came, I towed my unregistered T/A and garaged it. I am finally in a situation to get it going again, but I have run into a problem:

I can't get the car registered without getting a tune and inspection. I have no plates. The closest option I really have is Ryne at CMS. However, he is just over 60 miles away. Are there any other options? Does CA offer a temporary registration other than the red-oh-****-I-didn't-pass-emissions-so-inspect-my-car-extra-carefully temporary?

Thanks for any advice!
Old 02-06-2012, 07:50 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

JBA is down close by you. They are more than capable of tuning your LS1. Great shop with a really relaxed atmospher. Check their website out for any questions you may have (www.jbaracing.com). They also have thier upcoming cars & coffee this sunday (Feb 12th) from 0600 - 1000 at thier shop. If you are curious and want to see the facility first hand stop by and hang out. It will not be a waste of your time. Lots of old school and modern muscle show up.

If their not your thing PM me and I can hook you up with a very capable tuner.

Mel
Old 02-06-2012, 07:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ive never been hassled with the red temp tag in teh window, I have one in mine right now because I need to repair it so that it passes smog. All you need to do is have proof that it failed smog and then you can register it with the temp and drive it for a couple months.

Ryne is the only place id ever trust to do a tune or any work on my cars for that matter.
Old 02-07-2012, 02:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Give RPMM a call, they're in Miramar, which is north of you. My experiences with JBA were unsatisfactory, but I never had tuning work done by them.

http://mustangsandmotorsports.com/
Old 02-07-2012, 10:19 AM
9 Second Club

Thanks for all of the suggestions! Those are both quite close to me (9.7 and 13.7 miles). I wish I could make it to CMS, but I have new injectors in, so driving it isn't the option I thought it was.
Old 02-07-2012, 10:57 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by transsam
Thanks for all of the suggestions! Those are both quite close to me (9.7 and 13.7 miles). I wish I could make it to CMS, but I have new injectors in, so driving it isn't the option I thought it was.

Why don't you just mail cms your ECM for a base tune and then drive it up there for a full dunk tune? Taking it to cms will be well worth your time. He also used to do free updates and pro rate your tune if you upgraded parts on it. Call to make sure he still offers that. If you need it towed I can help you out with that too. I have a large flat bed trailer with a dove tail.
Old 02-07-2012, 11:10 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by haighter
Why don't you just mail cms your ECM for a base tune and then drive it up there for a full dunk tune? Taking it to cms will be well worth your time. He also used to do free updates and pro rate your tune if you upgraded parts on it. Call to make sure he still offers that. If you need it towed I can help you out with that too. I have a large flat bed trailer with a dove tail.
I'll give him a call about a base tune then. That is where I want to take it. I guess I need to fail emissions now to get a temp permit. Thanks for the tow offer. I think I'll be good to go, but we'll work something out if I need it.

Thanks again.
Old 02-08-2012, 08:44 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just send me the pcm and i will throw a base on it for $150, that $150 goes towards your final full tune bill

Quick Reply: Is there anyone in San Diego that can tune an LS1?