Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Anyone familiar with troubleshooting startup issues in phoenix?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 12:49 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Anyone familiar with troubleshooting startup issues in phoenix?

So ive got some issues with the car starting and Im sure its pretty simple to find a solution however I cant for the life of me figure it out. Is there anyone willing/able to help me figure out whats goin on with the car? Willing to pay in beer/small reward for helping me get the car back on the road.
Old 02-14-2012, 01:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What does it do?
Old 02-14-2012, 09:46 PM
On The Tree

I am sure you can find some folks to help. I would not have time to swing by until the weekend, so if you are still having troubles maybe we can arrange a meet up. No guarantees that I can fix it... or anything at all, but willing to help try and figure it out.
Old 02-14-2012, 10:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Starting issues are very easy to troubleshoot usually. What's it doing? Cranking and not starting? Not cranking?
Old 02-15-2012, 12:55 AM
TECH Addict

Ok well heres basically whats goin on... A few months ago I had been driving the car and it would just shut off, I would start it back up while coasting, and it would backfire. Let it sit in the garage for 2 weeks, started it back up and it died on me, restarted it and it backfired again so I shut it back off. let it sit for about a month or so, battery died, got it charged, went to crank it back on and it just started cranking but wouldnt turn over and start. my fuel pressure gauge showed 0 on the pressure, we connected a mechanical gauge and tried cranking and it showed 70psi on the mechanical gauge and mine inside the car was fully pegged. Tried cranking it multiple times and the battery just dies so I got it recharged and its just been sitting like that for the past 2 months. Thats where I stand so far.

But I will make time for anyone that has time to come over and help. Even if we cant get it to start any help is appreciated, I just dont wanna pay a motorsport company 1000 bucks to trouble shoot something that should be somewhat simple (unless I have no choice).
Old 02-15-2012, 01:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Fuel pressure gauge? Inside the car? Well make sure you have fuel+spark. Backfire could be low fuel pressure, incorrect signal from MAF to PMC, cam sensor.
Old 02-15-2012, 01:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2000 Tran Zam
Ok well heres basically whats goin on... A few months ago I had been driving the car and it would just shut off, I would start it back up while coasting, and it would backfire. Let it sit in the garage for 2 weeks, started it back up and it died on me, restarted it and it backfired again so I shut it back off. let it sit for about a month or so, battery died, got it charged, went to crank it back on and it just started cranking but wouldnt turn over and start. my fuel pressure gauge showed 0 on the pressure, we connected a mechanical gauge and tried cranking and it showed 70psi on the mechanical gauge and mine inside the car was fully pegged. Tried cranking it multiple times and the battery just dies so I got it recharged and its just been sitting like that for the past 2 months. Thats where I stand so far.

But I will make time for anyone that has time to come over and help. Even if we cant get it to start any help is appreciated, I just dont wanna pay a motorsport company 1000 bucks to trouble shoot something that should be somewhat simple (unless I have no choice).
Sounds like you have fuel then. Pull a plug and see if its getting spark. To check this just leave the plug attached to the wire and have someone crank the motor. Where did you check fuel pressure with the gauge? At the fuel rail?
Old 02-15-2012, 01:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Is the check engine light on?
Old 02-15-2012, 01:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Also... I wouldn't crank it too much. You're not getting oil pressure and could possibly spin a bearing. If you have spark I'd guess its either a cam crank or map sensor. I had a bad map and my car would just randomly die. But thats a sign of fuel pressure, too. But 70 seems high... should be around 58 I believe.

EDIT: if this is your sig monster then 70 psi is understandable.

Last edited by jermzz; 02-15-2012 at 03:02 PM.
Old 02-15-2012, 01:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Is the car in question the one in your Sig? LOL
Old 02-15-2012, 09:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jermzz
Also... I wouldn't crank it too much. You're not getting oil pressure and could possibly spin a baring. If you have spark I'd guess its either a cam crank or map sensor. I had a bad map and my car would just randomly die. But thats a sign of fuel pressure, too. But 70 seems high... should be around 58 I believe.
If he has spark it means his crank sensor is ok.

How does it cut off? Does it just die like you would cut the key off or does it stumble and die? You can determine wether it's spark or fuel problem.
Old 02-15-2012, 03:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by mannyman84
If he has spark it means his crank sensor is ok.

How does it cut off? Does it just die like you would cut the key off or does it stumble and die? You can determine wether it's spark or fuel problem.
Yeah but it could need a crank relearn if it's running like **** and dying. But since it won't start at all anymore, yeah it's probably not the crank sensor. If he's getting fuel pressure at the rail it's most likely a spark issue.
Old 02-15-2012, 06:35 PM
TECH Addict

ya the mechanical guage was connected at the fuel rail. yes it is my car in the sig... Im running hp tuners 3 bar setup on stock pcm, no maf...

when i restarted the car after reconnecting the battery it would need about 70% throttle to idle without dying, and even after 2 mins of keeping the foot on the throttle I let off and the car dies. And no SES light. otherwise I would have read the code.
Old 02-15-2012, 06:37 PM
TECH Addict

Oh.. and stock fuel pressure normally is at 58 or so and fluctuates as rpms increase. at WOT usually see 70 or so if I remember correctly.
Old 02-15-2012, 07:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2000 Tran Zam
ya the mechanical guage was connected at the fuel rail. yes it is my car in the sig... Im running hp tuners 3 bar setup on stock pcm, no maf...

when i restarted the car after reconnecting the battery it would need about 70% throttle to idle without dying, and even after 2 mins of keeping the foot on the throttle I let off and the car dies. And no SES light. otherwise I would have read the code.
so it starts, or it doesn't start? I don't get it. What are you using to see the throttle percentage? Sounds like the cam sensor to me.
Old 02-15-2012, 09:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

No cam sensor. I doubt the car would start. You need a proper scanner to check data. Your basically looking for your black underwear in pitch black without a flashlight. Just don't be one of those parts changers that throws parts and doesn't fix it. End up spending 100's and can be a simple vaccum line that's broken
Old 02-15-2012, 10:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by mannyman84
No cam sensor. I doubt the car would start. You need a proper scanner to check data. Your basically looking for your black underwear in pitch black without a flashlight. Just don't be one of those parts changers that throws parts and doesn't fix it. End up spending 100's and can be a simple vaccum line that's broken
When I first built my 454 and installed it i had to swap the cam wires around and one of them fell off and this is exactly how it ran. Took me like 45 min to figure out wtf had happened LOL. Car will hard start and **** all over itself then die if the cam sensor isnt working properly or at all.

Could be a lot of things though. Anything from one of the sensors, to a vacuum line to just needing an idle relearn. Try cleaning the IAT too, this can cause abnormal idle issues. Lot harder to diagnose then a car that just won't start, which is what the original problem was. Or so I thought.

Best off to have someone come or tow it to someone with a scanner as mentioned above. Above doing the obvious stuff he's right, you're just guessing and wasting cash.
Old 02-16-2012, 01:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

It's best to look Around your area and see who has a scanner and knows how to use it. If u would live close I wouldn't mind checking it out.
Old 02-16-2012, 12:36 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by jermzz
so it starts, or it doesn't start? I don't get it. What are you using to see the throttle percentage? Sounds like the cam sensor to me.
It does not start... it tries to but never does.

Im using my foot as an estimation process to guess throttle opening lol.

anyone local have a scanning tool to bring over? Ill make it worth your while if we can get it up and running!!
Old 02-16-2012, 05:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Oh man!! What are you doing in return?

Quick Reply: Anyone familiar with troubleshooting startup issues in phoenix?