Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Possibly purchase for a car in UT, so I have some questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 02:07 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Possibly purchase for a car in UT, so I have some questions

I'm thinking about purchasing a car in Cross Woods, UT. The car is a 2011 and has ~7000 miles. I'm originally from the Midwest, and they use salt there in the winter months. Cars in the Midwest start to show signs of rust within a few years, so I'd rather not deal with that headache anymore.

I was wondering if the western states use salt or any other de-icer in the winter that is corrosive to cars. I've heard the region also used to use some ash mix or something years ago.

Or maybe with so little miles, should I even worry about it? I plan to keep this car until it dies; so probably 10+years. Its a Honda, so feel free to hate lol.
Old 02-20-2012, 02:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah the cars in the midwest are brutal.....the undercarriages of the trucks/cars are brutal.... Glad when i took my 98 out there i had a garage to put it in. I personally wouldnt worry about it being brasically brand new with so low miles. I know one used at times is deep thaw around here
Old 02-20-2012, 12:55 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I lived in UT for 5 years, most areas use de-icing sand. However, salt is used as well in a lot of private areas. My trans am was driven occasionally during the winter, and i have no rust. If the car only has 7K miles I would guess you will be good.
Old 02-21-2012, 08:29 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks for the info. The dealer has gone AWOL on me. There goes the $4k I was going to save, even AFTER the trip expenses.

Quick Reply: Possibly purchase for a car in UT, so I have some questions