Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Anyone here in CA been to an unemployment hearing???

Old 04-21-2012, 12:21 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Anyone here in CA been to an unemployment hearing???

I was denied benefits and appealed the deicision and won, not my former employee is appealing that decision...

Anyone here in CA been through a similar situation?
Old 04-21-2012, 12:38 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have but they never called into the hearing so I won. Pretty much a judge hears both sides and presents whatever evidence they have and he makes a decision.
Old 04-21-2012, 01:03 AM
TECH Addict

well I went to that first meeting and my manager showed up and we argued our cases, i won that hearing.

Now the owner of the business didnt like that outcome and now he wants to appeal that decision..
Old 04-21-2012, 11:55 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Burken01
well I went to that first meeting and my manager showed up and we argued our cases, i won that hearing.

Now the owner of the business didnt like that outcome and now he wants to appeal that decision..
Didnt the ruling come with any paper work explaining what the next steps are?

I have been on both sides of this as a business owner and as someone who represented my wife at a EDD hearing.

The only appeal left with the EDD is to the Apeals Board. This is only for the technical (legal) issues of the case, and has nothing to do with the actual facts. Meaning did the appeals judge follow EDD case law(s) and regulations to the facts as determined by the appeals judge.

Now there is a civil court action that can be filed in Superior Court. You will be able to represent yourself, depending on the business structure the "owner" may or maynot be able to represent his own company. He might need a lawyer to do that.
I just went throught this with my wife and our lawyer said it would be $5k to $10k to fight this in court since I would not be able to represent her in court.

Last edited by petercln; 04-21-2012 at 11:57 PM. Reason: typo
Old 04-24-2012, 12:50 AM
TECH Addict

well yes hes filing for the board of appeals claiming he has new evidence that he didnt bring to the intial meeting.. but the letter i got said there will not be another meeting, only a panel of 3 people will listen to the recording of the intial meeting that i had and I guess they will listen to mistakes.?? and 5k-10k for court? f that ill just let him have it at that point..
Old 04-24-2012, 08:25 PM
Staging Lane

My understanding is the three member board will NOT listen to any new evidance, only how the law relates to how the facts (not evidance) of the case. The judge you saw determined the facts. If that judge made a mistake on the evidance (to determianthe facts) thats what the court would need to be used for. Since you won the original case I think you would do just fine in court if needed ,you would not need to hire a lawyer. Your old boss may need to hire one depending on his business structure.
Old 04-25-2012, 01:40 AM
TECH Addict

ok i understand now, i just dont get why he's going through all th trouble trying to prevent me from receving the measly 215$ i get a week..??
Old 04-27-2012, 11:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good advice petercln that will undoubtedly be helpful to more people.

Good luck Burken01.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anyone here in CA been to an unemployment hearing???