Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Smog checkpoint on Laurel Cyn

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2012, 07:37 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Smog checkpoint on Laurel Cyn

In front of San Fernando High School. Had an older Saturn up on the treadmill when I drove by after work. Hope this might help someone
Old 07-31-2012, 02:36 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I had no idea they did this stuff!!
Old 07-31-2012, 08:43 AM
TECH Apprentice

they even have sniffer radars that check C0 and Nox from the plume your exhaust leaves. There was a thread on here last year that someone from SoCal posted with pictures of the thing.
Old 07-31-2012, 11:22 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LT1559
they even have sniffer radars that check C0 and Nox from the plume your exhaust leaves. There was a thread on here last year that someone from SoCal posted with pictures of the thing.
Yup

https://ls1tech.com/forums/western-m...og-device.html

https://ls1tech.com/forums/western-m...ut-beware.html

https://ls1tech.com/forums/western-m...eckpoints.html
Old 07-31-2012, 11:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah they do this mostly for pre 96 vehicles, but they can grab you if the cop decides to have you tested, you can decline but that may not look so favorable.
Old 08-03-2012, 04:46 PM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Another reason why I try to make my car look legal under the hood... Just a cover-your-*** thing for when these become Naziforniaized (mandatory).
Old 08-06-2012, 10:23 PM
LS1Tech Editor

FYI. Those are voluntary. You can refuse to take them and all they do is take your license plate down...for whatever reason. I refused three times in my little Toyota Truck and they waved me on.
It's more about checking cars against shops to see what cars pass/fail and when and where they were smogged. They're looking for "crooked" shops.

Check page 9, 4.3
www.epa.gov/oms/regs/im/roadside.pdf
4.3: Inspection Protocol
Currently, AQR teams use the following test procedure. Using the random sample method, a
CHP officer selects vehicles and directs them into the test lane as soon as the test of the previous
vehicle is complete. The greeter explains to the driver that the test is part of a survey to evaluate
the Smog Check Program and that there are no penalties, emissions-related or otherwise,
associated with the test. The BAR greeter also provides the driver with a consumer information
handout (Appendix D) that further explains the Roadside Inspection Program. If the driver
agrees to participate in the inspection process, the vehicle is inspected. If the driver refuses, the
vehicle is released and another vehicle is quickly directed into the test lane. The license plate
numbers of vehicles whose operators decline to participate in the Roadside Inspection Program
are recorded and entered into a laptop computer for later analysis.

A similar process exists if the team is using the stratified sample method. However, once the
vehicle enters the test lane and stops at the appropriate location, the BAR greeter determines the
vehicle model-year. Using a worksheet providing model-year stratification, the greeter
determines the model-year of the vehicle. If the vehicle is one of the desired models, the driver
is asked to participate in the Roadside Inspection Program. If it is not, the driver is thanked for
their time and the vehicle is directed out of the lane. Note that every driver has the option not to
participate.
All testable vehicles receive a 90-second ASM 5015 and a 60-second ASM 2525
test."
Old 08-06-2012, 10:26 PM
LS1Tech Editor

I printed this document and highlighted these parts. Simply showed it to them and off I went.
Old 08-06-2012, 10:28 PM
Launching!

i feel bad for you cali guys... i really do...

Hell i really feel bad because its only a matter of time till that B.S shows up everywhere
Old 08-07-2012, 01:32 AM
On The Tree

**** chp straight up
Old 08-07-2012, 03:00 AM
Staging Lane

Exactly why all my post 75 cars are legit... have fun long tubers with no cats
Old 08-07-2012, 09:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SVTconfused
i feel bad for you cali guys... i really do...

Hell i really feel bad because its only a matter of time till that B.S shows up everywhere
Ain't that the truth. The only reason it hasn't spread, I suspect, is because they have not proved it pays for itself. If these were profitable, they would spring-up like sobriety check points.

Originally Posted by Camaropar
Exactly why all my post 75 cars are legit... have fun long tubers with no cats
We do, thank you. This has been an issue for many years. If you know what you can get away with (not agreeing to the check), then no worries.
Old 08-07-2012, 08:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Sorry, but this just made reason 101 of why I hate Cali... I"m glad I got FL tags out here .. fheeew!
Old 08-07-2012, 09:28 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by BigDaddyBry
Ain't that the truth. The only reason it hasn't spread, I suspect, is because they have not proved it pays for itself. If these were profitable, they would spring-up like sobriety check points.

We do, thank you. This has been an issue for many years. If you know what you can get away with (not agreeing to the check), then no worries.

the other reason is all the car manufacturers offer two emissions standards vehicles... Cali and Us federal... if everyone went to Cali standards than the auto makers would have to spend alot of money to change there lines
Old 08-07-2012, 09:59 PM
On The Tree

Man that's just straight crazy. It's a good thing they still got classic insurance and out of state tags for you guys if you need them...
Old 08-10-2012, 06:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SVTconfused
the other reason is all the car manufacturers offer two emissions standards vehicles... Cali and Us federal... if everyone went to Cali standards than the auto makers would have to spend alot of money to change there lines
They wouldn't have to change it if they already have a CA compliant car. They would just produce the one instead of two.
Old 08-11-2012, 10:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by FU_I_AM_UltraZ
Sorry, but this just made reason 101 of why I hate Cali... I"m glad I got FL tags out here .. fheeew!
Until a law abiding citizen snitches you out.
Old 08-18-2012, 02:34 AM
Village Idiot

I've lived in Santa Monica California for 44 years and never once got stopped for a random Smog check...

If so I'd be ruined because my ride couldn't pass smog in any State let alone Cali.. Flying under the radar ain't easy either...

I drive Laurel Canyon all the time in the San Fernando Valley.. This is not good
Old 08-18-2012, 08:13 AM
10 Second Club

That sucks for you cali guys. It must suck be a car enthusiast, spend lots of $ on your cars and having to be watching over your shoulder because your hobby is also breaking the law.
Old 08-30-2012, 05:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sick....

Quick Reply: Smog checkpoint on Laurel Cyn