Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

catch can ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 03:46 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default catch can ?

Are catch cans a must now a days on ls1 based cars i have a 02 SS and wondering if i should be looking into purchasing one....
Old 08-28-2012, 07:50 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wouldn't say a must, but after I took apart my motor for the first time and saw oil everywhere coated inside the intake manifold, that is when I started running a catch can system.
Old 08-29-2012, 08:21 AM
Launching!

Cheap insurance. I would say its worth the money.
Old 08-29-2012, 08:48 AM
Teching In

So witch one you guys go with i saw the ws6 store one looks decent but what's the word on that one
Old 08-29-2012, 09:02 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the one from WS6store, its seems like a quality piece. Alot of people on here have it as well.
Old 08-29-2012, 09:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

There a lot of options here .I have a norris can. There are cheap ones that do a poor jobs but that can has never had any issues
Old 08-29-2012, 02:17 PM
Staging Lane

All cans have draw backs, some are better than others, some sealed up prevent from 100% clean up/verification, so none are perfect, but good one will do a better job!

My Elite was used, came with a good price, I have modified internal heavily, among "other" things externally to help blow by condensation!

OP, if you are into performance, then, do you want to introduce oil into your combustion chamber?
Old 08-30-2012, 12:10 PM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

My recommendation is a Saikou Michi dual catch can (for NA applications). Have only heard good things about them, ever. I'll be going with a Saikou Michi brand catch can when I install my Procharger: http://www.saikoumichi.com/Stage1_LS1_page.html

Right now I have a ghetto rigged setup of two Kobalt (Lowes) brand Air/Water Separators. One for the PCV system to intake manifold, and one for the valve cover to throttle body. The filters they come with aren't adequate for oil, and are known to break down in contact with synthetic oil, so I replaced the filter element with a piece of same-dimension copper tubing I had laying around by drilling a ton of holes in it. Sealed the drain valve with a nut/bolt and RTV. I used copper non-tear scrubbing pads from a retail store to act as an oil catch element (something for the oil to stick to in the bottom of the can). Then built a bracket using a spare network switch rack bracket, GM metric engine bolts, and metal strap. Ghetto, but cost was minimal since I had most of it laying around, and it actually catches oil without creating any risk to the motor. I still recommend a real dual catch can setup (eBay doesn't count as real).
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v9...r/P1130004.jpg

Last edited by ZexGX; 08-30-2012 at 12:27 PM.
Old 08-30-2012, 01:12 PM
Staging Lane

^^^Their cans are sealed, so verification on built is impossible! I don't know how true that is, rumors is their new can has filters before outlet that lead back to intake. Common sense tells me that oil soaked filter before outlet can not be a good thing!

Go Corvette Forum, search for post by "The Bat Car". He did extensive write up with sectioned various brand cans for show and tell. Very detail!!

This is part of what I did to the Elite internal, machined thin walled T6 extension, extended distance to 3 1/2" between inlet and outlet from the original 1" to avoid quick suck back and providing more surface area to enhance condensation; attached to original inlet filter housing with four 4-40 cres socket head screws. Machined three 1/8" wide anti creep up grooves on reservoir wall to slow down oil creep back:

My clean up and visual is easy and 100% verifiable!
Old 08-30-2012, 02:32 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by victorf
^^^Their cans are sealed, so verification on built is impossible! I don't know how true that is, rumors is their new can has filters before outlet that lead back to intake. Common sense tells me that oil soaked filter before outlet can not be a good thing!

Go Corvette Forum, search for post by "The Bat Car". He did extensive write up with sectioned various brand cans for show and tell. Very detail!!

This is part of what I did to the Elite internal, machined thin walled T6 extension, extended distance to 3 1/2" between inlet and outlet from the original 1" to avoid quick suck back and providing more surface area to enhance condensation; attached to original inlet filter housing with four 4-40 cres socket head screws. Machined three 1/8" wide anti creep up grooves on reservoir wall to slow down oil creep back:

My clean up and visual is easy and 100% verifiable!
Do you sell these modified catch cans?
Old 08-31-2012, 09:45 PM
Staging Lane

Sorry, my mods are for personal satisfactions! But I do share my ideas so feel free to duplicate!
Old 08-31-2012, 10:18 PM
Staging Lane

Here is a better view to my catch can external performance enhancements (click on picture then zoom in for enhanced clarity):

Heat sink/radiator fitting (with internal bored to provide additional chamber to capture condensated blow bys) was machined out of T6, attached to inlet cres fitting, fins installed on exterior of catch can to help additional heat radiation and the all important milled G-10 stand off (with two titanium spreader washers to spread clamping load within the milled cavity) to isolate catch can from direct engine heat contact, although catch can is mounted 6" away with the custom T6 extension arm, but the arm is mounted directly to the passenger's head, non the less!

So there is more to catch the eyes with something seemingly as simple as a catch can!

Another hint: look at my oem valve covers and where the oem coils are mounted!!

Mods never stop!!
Old 09-01-2012, 02:11 PM
12 Second Club

If only we all had machine shops at our disposal. Thanks for sharing.
Old 09-09-2012, 12:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

A few years ago with 40k miles on the car, my 02 had oil traces on the plugs when I changed them out... SO, you can imagine what inside could look like that should been oily, like them runners of you intake manifold.
Old 09-13-2012, 02:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

RX Performance makes a good catch-can.
http://www.coloradospeed.com/rx-perf...s-p-13737.html

Quick Reply: catch can ?