Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

i got a state ref ticket :(

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 11:34 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i got a state ref ticket :(

so last night im driving home n i get pulled over by chp.

got a ticket for modified exhaust, modified emission, tinted windows, and no front plate.

n other words im ****.

anybody now around how much the ticket
Old 10-03-2012, 11:40 AM
On The Tree

http://www.lasuperiorcourt.org/bail/pdf/misd.pdf

check it out. they are pretty strict about emissions out there...
Old 10-03-2012, 12:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Must have been a dick of a cop.
What's your exhaust setup?
Is it long tubes with no cats and no AIR?
Old 10-03-2012, 07:57 PM
Teching In

its a 99 camaro z28.

long tubes no cats and no air...

is there another way to just pay the ticket or do i have to take it to ref
Old 10-03-2012, 09:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How did he know that you had no cats and no AIR?
Old 10-04-2012, 12:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

throw in a stock exhaust and I mean super quiet exhaust. take it to a local court house. a sheriff will go with you to check the car. he will tell you to turn it on and rev it, if its quiet, hell sign the ticket, and just pay the fine. I got pulled over a while back when I had no cats on my car, just installed my stock catback and yea. I passed.
Old 10-04-2012, 01:17 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Mr.z/28
throw in a stock exhaust and I mean super quiet exhaust. take it to a local court house. a sheriff will go with you to check the car. he will tell you to turn it on and rev it, if its quiet, hell sign the ticket, and just pay the fine. I got pulled over a while back when I had no cats on my car, just installed my stock catback and yea. I passed.
Was yours a Ref ticket with the sticker in the back or just a modified exhaust ticket?
Old 10-04-2012, 01:56 PM
Teching In

I can shed some light on the situation. I've gotten two state referee tickets when I've owned my Honda. I got one recently, in fact.

Originally Posted by SuperSlowCamaro
got a ticket for modified exhaust, modified emission, tinted windows, and no front plate.
The state referee will treat your modified exhaust and modified emissions infractions separately. They won't deal with the tinted windows and no front plate. For those two, you'll have to have CHP inspect it. Just get those two fixed and go to your local CHP station and have them look at it. I've heard from others that they charge a fee, but I haven't experienced that myself.

As for your modified emissions, you MUST make sure your modifications are CARB approved. Your bolt ons MUST have a CARB sticker on them even if you know they are CARB approved. If you have anything disconnected, AIR, catalytic converter, throttle body coolant lines, make sure you reconnect them. They do both a visual and functional test so make sure they actually work, too. Your LT headers will have to be replaced and you'll have to go back to stock unless they're CARB approved.

With your modified exhaust, they will just test and see if it's within legal noise limits. Since an exhaust is post-cat, it will not affect emissions. Just make sure it's under 96dB. The only way to really find out though is at the state referee.

If you're going to choose one in the relative area, I would recommend against the Goldenwest College simply because the guy that works there is a *****. They do have an in-ground dyno so if your car is lowered it'll work fine. I've only been to that one and the one in La Habra. The one in La Habra has a cool guy that works there, except their dyno is above ground, so clearance is limited.

Good luck with your ticket and if you have more questions, I'll try to help.

-The Honda owner that gets harassed a lot by CHP

Edit: I forgot to mention that you can just throw on your stock cat-back exhaust to ensure you pass the noise level test as mentioned by Mr.z/28

Last edited by stirfriedferret; 10-04-2012 at 02:02 PM.
Old 10-04-2012, 10:46 PM
Teching In

can i just pay a ticket or do i have to take it to ref for the modified mission ticket? if i can just pay the fine ill b more than happy
Old 10-04-2012, 10:46 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 94'BLKBRD
Was yours a Ref ticket with the sticker in the back or just a modified exhaust ticket?
yes it has the sticker on the back of the ticket
Old 10-05-2012, 10:28 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SuperSlowCamaro
can i just pay a ticket or do i have to take it to ref for the modified mission ticket? if i can just pay the fine ill b more than happy
You have to get your smog test done at the state referee which comprises of the visual/functional test. It sucks that there's no other way around it. On your ticket it should say *state referee certification required*. You can't pay the bail amount on that violation.
Old 10-05-2012, 01:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I got a modified exhaust ticket, along with tinted windows, no front plate and lowered vehicle. I put a front plate, took the tint off and raised the car back up....(Vette). I just paid the exhaust ticket which was 2xx ifself. So everything came out to about 300 +/-.

I also remember that previous to that I had got another modified exhaust ticket in which I had to go to a state ref. I just had cutouts at the time so I capped them. I went to the ref located at El Camino College and even after passing the deb test, he still failed me...*****. He said the exhaust must look like it came from the factory. My car lowered at the time so they got under there with mirrors.

I remember just paying that fine because I was not about to go buy a whole catback system.
Old 10-05-2012, 02:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Mr.z/28
This works for a modified exhaust ticket. a ref ticket is another story.
Old 10-05-2012, 02:20 PM
On The Tree

How did the cop know you didn't have any cats on the car?
Old 10-05-2012, 03:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by my_99Z
How did the cop know you didn't have any cats on the car?
That's exactly what I said when they gave me my ticket. If you looked closely you could clearly see my cats. So he just wrote down some BS charge.
Old 10-05-2012, 03:33 PM
12 Second Club

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Maybe find a ref station where you can grease his palm
Old 10-07-2012, 02:45 PM
On The Tree

I got a REF ticket about a year ago. I have heard and read conflicting things regarding just paying off the ticket. Some say you can just pay it off and be done with it. BTW I know someone that went that route and he paid $520. Others say if you pay it off you are not in the clear. If you get pulled over again for the same violation, you are screwed. A friend of mine said he knew someone that just paid the ticket. When he got pulled over his car got impounded. I put my car back to stockish. I had a mild aftermarket cam installed but the car still passed the REF test. The ticket was $285.

Quick Reply: i got a state ref ticket :(