Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Toyota Tundra to pull space shuttle Endeavour to the museum.

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2012, 03:36 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Toyota Tundra to pull space shuttle Endeavour to the museum.

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/09/15/t...space-shuttle/

c'mon, where's the American trucks at?! This is just sad. Toyota will forever hold this title. Toyota will from here to eternity.
Old 10-08-2012, 09:08 AM
On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think the Toyota is the only truck assembled in America now. My Silverado was assembled in Canada. But yeah that sucks, I guess Toyota forked out more money to get that spot.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to break it to you but the Toyota Tundra is the most American truck there is, it is also the best built. Recent studys have revealed that Toyota is the most American auto manufacturer.
Old 10-08-2012, 12:30 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 180ls1
Sorry to break it to you but the Toyota Tundra is the most American truck there is, it is also the best built. Recent studys have revealed that Toyota is the most American auto manufacturer.
I wouldn't go best built but I'd say their tied with the new fords which are stupid nice. But yes they are American built trucks more so then any truck from the big 3. I also think the titan is made out here also.
Old 10-08-2012, 03:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by HEYPAL01impala
I wouldn't go best built but I'd say their tied with the new fords which are stupid nice. But yes they are American built trucks more so then any truck from the big 3. I also think the titan is made out here also.
Yeah i should have said more reliable.
Old 10-08-2012, 06:48 PM
On The Tree

I don't care where's it's built. It's still a Japanese name plate and the profit still goes back to Japan. So there for it's a Japanese truck still.
So if it's more reliable now, does that mean the Japan couldn't build a truck to begin with??
Old 10-08-2012, 08:27 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 180ls1
Yeah i should have said more reliable.
I think that is the furthest from the truth that it could be. It depends on year make and model. Not to mention that most people dont do the correct maintenance on there vehicle.
For trucks and pulling, a TOYOTA and Nissan are the worst things you could possibly get. If you want a little pickup to but a can of paint in it or a bicycle. I tow there truck and there trailers up the pass when they brake down. I have over 1/2 million miles on my truck and pull up to 15-18.5 tons (30,000-37,000lbs). Mine also runs on veggie oil and burns less then 80-90% carbons then gas cars and it's only a 6 cylinder! Almost forgot to mention my truck also doesn't need to be slogged and has no electronics in the motor.

http://www.uship.com/profile/HAIGHTER/
Old 10-09-2012, 01:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Hope it breaks down and bring in a Chevy truck
Old 10-09-2012, 03:51 PM
Launching!

O. Forgot to mention, I can get about 26mpg on my diesel truck and that's without my water meth turned on. I also blend my fuel sometimes and get about $1.75 a gallon if not cheaper. People need to do a lot more research vs just looking at adds and what they feed us via TV and other media.
Old 10-09-2012, 04:09 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by mannyman84
Hope it breaks down and bring in a Chevy truck
That's what I'm hoping for.
I remember a few years ago Toyota was showing off one of their new models (don't remember which one) just before a NASCAR race and the car broke down on the track when doing laps. The fans were just laughing up a storm. An American truck had to come a push or tow it off the track. It was just too funny.

Originally Posted by haighter
O. Forgot to mention, I can get about 26mpg on my diesel truck and that's without my water meth turned on. I also blend my fuel sometimes and get about $1.75 a gallon if not cheaper. People need to do a lot more research vs just looking at adds and what they feed us via TV and other media.
You have got to let me in on your little secrete <spelling??
Old 10-09-2012, 04:26 PM
Staging Lane

I work there and the only reason the Toyota will pull the shuttle is because Toyota has a sponsorship with the Califrnia Science Center. The local Toyota deal perposed this ideal at the board meeting an they ran with it. They didn't give any other truck maker notificaltion to line up vs the Toyota. I'm sure Chevy Dodge Ford diesels would of made that Toyota look like crap.
Old 10-09-2012, 04:55 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Just saw a newer diesel Ram pulling a car carrier trailer with 4 cars on it at fwy speeds on the 210. Never seen a Toyota doing that.
Old 10-09-2012, 08:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by chevystyle
I don't care where's it's built. It's still a Japanese name plate and the profit still goes back to Japan. So there for it's a Japanese truck still.
So if it's more reliable now, does that mean the Japan couldn't build a truck to begin with??
Most of the money is spend on manufacturing costs so thats where your money goes. Toyota the highest percentage of its vehicles manufactured here. So more of your money stays here buying a Toyota then buying a GM or what have you. They also did not steal any of my money in the bailout.

I think that is the furthest from the truth that it could be. It depends on year make and model. Not to mention that most people dont do the correct maintenance on there vehicle.
For trucks and pulling, a TOYOTA and Nissan are the worst things you could possibly get. If you want a little pickup to but a can of paint in it or a bicycle. I tow there truck and there trailers up the pass when they brake down. I have over 1/2 million miles on my truck and pull up to 15-18.5 tons (30,000-37,000lbs). Mine also runs on veggie oil and burns less then 80-90% carbons then gas cars and it's only a 6 cylinder! Almost forgot to mention my truck also doesn't need to be slogged and has no electronics in the motor.

http://www.uship.com/profile/HAIGHTER/
Im assuming you have a 12v cummins? I love those trucks.

Toyota currently does not compete in the 2500/3500 market but its tundra is really stout and tow's over 10k lbs which is more then 95% of the population will need. It has also been the most reliable truck 7 years in a row, regardless of who does the maintenance. Just look at all the other reliability tests for other class cars and trucks and i bet the majority of the time it will be a Toyota/Lexus that wins in its class.
Old 10-09-2012, 08:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thats not fair comaring it to your 12v cummins either hahaha. The 12v cummins is literally THE BEST engine ever put into a vehicle. Better then a sbc 350, Ls1, 2jz, ect....
Old 10-09-2012, 09:07 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by C5natie
Just saw a newer diesel Ram pulling a car carrier trailer with 4 cars on it at fwy speeds on the 210. Never seen a Toyota doing that.
I live up in the high desert and about 99.999% or trucks pulling a travel trailer, 5th wheeler, bed full of toys, etc, are American trucks....and that's pulling up the cajon pass.
I drive a company truck though Orange County during work hours and all I see pulling car haulers are American trucks.
Old 10-09-2012, 09:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

I live up in the high desert and about 99.999% or trucks pulling a travel trailer, 5th wheeler, bed full of toys, etc, are American trucks....and that's pulling up the cajon pass.
I drive a company truck though Orange County during work hours and all I see pulling car haulers are American trucks.
Its true but you also have to consider that there is no "import" truck that is a 2500 or 3500 so it only makes sense. I guess you could call GM an import though since they are made in mexico and canada, you could include dodge for that matter also.
Old 10-10-2012, 01:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sorry.......heres the shuttle transport they are using.
http://video.msnbc.msn.com/nbc-news/49359577/
Old 10-10-2012, 01:53 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

The physical size and everything on the tundra screams 2500 though, so it would be more fitting to compare it to a 2500 truck. There was even a commercial that Toyota was even comparing it to a 2500 series truck.

One more thing.......Don't send a Tundra to do a Sierra's job!
Old 10-10-2012, 03:05 PM
Launching!

You have got to let me in on your little secrete <spelling??
Feel free to call me at 209-559-7342.
Old 10-11-2012, 12:43 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 87silverbullet
The physical size and everything on the tundra screams 2500 though, so it would be more fitting to compare it to a 2500 truck. There was even a commercial that Toyota was even comparing it to a 2500 series truck.

One more thing.......Don't send a Tundra to do a Sierra's job!
well im not gonna say alot. but i am a toyota technician and i can vouch for the tundra. its a badass truck. and more importantly reliable. with massive low end torque. im not saying its better then an american truck but im just saying it can hold its own and in its class i belive it will outperform 1500s. a few years ago i would not have said the same thing. on that note. i dont know about any commercials where they compare it to a 2500 series truck. however have u been in a new tundra? they are the size of a 2500 series truck. no joke. there is talk about a diesel in the near future aswell..

Quick Reply: Toyota Tundra to pull space shuttle Endeavour to the museum.