Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Tune or stall problem?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 01:50 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Tune or stall problem?

Im having a few issues with my car. Its a heads/cam/ 3600 stall car.

1.on the freeway at speed the car does not accelerate full out when i go wot, it kind of gradually and slowly accelerates. As if its not dropping to the lowest gear to go full out.

2. At times when i floor it from a dead stop, the car takes off hard but then the rpms drop extremely low and then climb back up rapidly.

3. When i tried to do a burnout once in drive, i floored the car and almost no power went to the rear wheels.. I held the pedal to the floor and it was almost like the car was in 4th gear not 1st (even though it was in drive at a dead stop). I had to get off the gas then start again before it acted correctly.

4. When both in drive and when manually shifting at times when the car is at wot and going from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd the rpms drop about 1k too low on each shift instead of staying at the higher rpm to have a consistent and steady pull. It kind of dies out just a bit on each shift..

Is this a stall problem or possibly a tune issue?
Old 01-30-2013, 03:43 AM
Teching In

Try your fuel pressure. Maybe b going out n causing the car to act dum cuz of low fuel. Pressure. Happen to me once
Old 01-30-2013, 04:04 AM
Teching In

Never heard of this problem but you may want to get your fuel pressure .checked . Dnt think a stall should be acting up like that .. Was it new or used?
Old 01-30-2013, 09:48 AM
Staging Lane

Maybe you dropped a gear in the tranny?
Old 01-30-2013, 12:24 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by la_blue_ss
never heard of this problem but you may want to get your fuel pressure .checked . Dnt think a stall should be acting up like that .. Was it new or used?
Originally Posted by jeremy 92 rs
maybe you dropped a gear in the tranny?

everything is new and built as well. Could it be the stall is not locking up how it should be?
Old 01-30-2013, 12:25 PM
On The Tree

What do you mean by drop a gear in the tranny?
Old 01-30-2013, 12:29 PM
On The Tree

Cms tuned it so i highly doubt the tune is wrong, however during the tune the trans was acting up in the regard that it wouldnt easily shift into 3rd gear (it would redline)as i found out the drum was cracked but that has since been fixed.. Maybe he couldnt tune the entire trans due to the cracked drum?
Old 01-30-2013, 08:22 PM
Staging Lane

The way you describe it, it sounds like a gear is missing out of the trans. Like its shifting from 1, to 3, to 4. It skips a gear and thats why it bogs.
Old 01-30-2013, 09:22 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Jeremy 92 RS
The way you describe it, it sounds like a gear is missing out of the trans. Like its shifting from 1, to 3, to 4. It skips a gear and thats why it bogs.
i dont think its that, i can go through all the gears manually and they are all there, its more like the car isnt dropping to the right gear at wot though
Old 01-30-2013, 11:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Who built the trans? I went through a couple before my last one was perfect.
Old 01-30-2013, 11:22 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LS1Adam84
Who built the trans? I went through a couple before my last one was perfect.
xtreme transmissions...
Old 01-31-2013, 12:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hmm yeah my first one from then went due to bad converter but I got an SES light and I got a lockup code. The next was the drum exploded but mine was the bullet proof drum. The last one lasted me a long time.

Hmm I would ask Ryne if he has any time to quickly take a look, he is usually very helpful.
Old 02-01-2013, 01:58 AM
On The Tree

so, i changed my rear springs and the problem seemed to go away completely. the story on the springs is this... the ra-tard i bought the car from took out the rear spring bushing, and then cut the rear springs almost in half. the car was always bottoming out, swaying ridiculously and all other types or rear suspension problems.... i went and put a set of 95 v6 camaro springs with the rubber bushings and it has been night and day... im thinking maybe with the previous cut spring the car was putting too much load on the rear end causing issues in acceleration and performance? any thoughts guys?
Old 02-01-2013, 08:34 PM
On The Tree

thoughts anyone??
Old 02-03-2013, 12:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Are there any cuts or grooves on the rear tires? Like maybe under WOT when there is more force on the rear the tire was scrubbing the fender well or the 1/4 panel itself.
Old 02-03-2013, 04:06 PM
On The Tree

Are there any cuts or grooves on the rear tires? Like maybe under WOT when there is more force on the rear the tire was scrubbing the fender well or the 1/4 panel itself.
the inside fender wall was smoothed out from the tires
Old 02-04-2013, 12:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I am wondering if it might have been hanging up the tire... I mean it could happen, but I am not that sure. If the issue is gone, then awesome.
Old 02-04-2013, 01:55 AM
On The Tree

I am wondering if it might have been hanging up the tire... I mean it could happen, but I am not that sure. If the issue is gone, then awesome.
i wish i would have taken a pic of the cut spring, if you laid it side by side to the v6 spring/bushing i have in now, it would barely be half the size of the v6 spring... the car bottomed out over every little bump, it floated almost uncontrollably in the rear. i dont know how the dude drove this car like that.. i can maybe see cutting the spring and keeping the bushing but to just cut it halfway and not re use the bushing is out of control....

w the v6 spring/bushing it feels great... like i said im thinking maybe with the old *** 98 spring being cut and having no strength to it, possibly too much weight was being put on the rear end causing these problems of acceleration.... its quite possible a tire was getting hung up which may explain the one time not being able to do a burnout in drive.....

Quick Reply: Tune or stall problem?