Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

California - smog info needed about tune.

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2014, 01:58 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default California - smog info needed about tune.

I live in California, and what I plan to do is put long tube headers and give it a tune (maybe LS6 intake if I can get the funds by then).

Question #1: (not really related to thread) If I get headers WITHOUT AIR/EGR, can I just simply plug the AIR/EGR valves that would go into the header plugs (which are not there)? Would that be the same as removing it, without actually removing it? (I want to keep it for future smog purposes).

Now, question #2, the main question: If I get headers and get a tune, will I pass smog IF I change my headers back to the stock ones? Or would I have to re-tune with the stock headers to pass smog? I plan to keep the stock headers with the cats for smog, I just want to know if I will be able to pass smog after getting a tune with long tubes, and switching back to the stock ones.
Old 08-04-2014, 10:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Question #1
Yes, just get some block-off plates for the AIR/EGR mounts on the headers.
Question #2
I would recommend having it tuned for the stock exhaust manifolds & cats. If you switch it back to stock after getting it tuned for LT headers & ORY-pipe you'll likely FAIL smog. I'd talk to your tuner he should be able to explain this a lot better then I can.
Old 08-04-2014, 11:12 AM
Teching In

Ok, thanks. What I meant for question #1 was actually the opposite. I mean if the headers have no EGR stems for me to connect my EGR valves to, could I just leave them there?
Old 08-04-2014, 04:27 PM
12 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

I'm sure you could use the block off plates in the opposite way to block off the AIR/EGR lines (opposed to the headers like most use them for), however at that point I think that you would be better off getting headers with the emissions ports. If you get "race" headers and keep the AIR/EGR lines in the car I would assume that they would be flopping around in the engine bay which probably wouldn't be good.
Old 08-06-2014, 11:44 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by z-camaro
I'm sure you could use the block off plates in the opposite way to block off the AIR/EGR lines (opposed to the headers like most use them for), however at that point I think that you would be better off getting headers with the emissions ports. If you get "race" headers and keep the AIR/EGR lines in the car I would assume that they would be flopping around in the engine bay which probably wouldn't be good.
I would really like to get headers with the AIR/EGR lines on them, but the only ones that have them from my local shop are the 1 3/4 primaries. They also sell the 1 7/8 primaries, which are the ones I want, but they don't have the EGR lines and are called "race version". So I was just wondering if it could work that way.
Old 08-07-2014, 04:27 PM
12 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Then just buy some 1-7/8" headers with AIR/EGR fittings from a vendor here and likely save some money at the same time.
Old 08-08-2014, 07:32 AM
Teching In

Haven't looked around much on these vendors, how much do they charge for a set? My local place sells them for $269 a set.
Old 08-08-2014, 08:21 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

Your best investment would be in EFILive or HPTuners. That way when you reinstall the stock manifolds and cats for inspection, you can reflash it to the stock tune. Then once you pass, pull them off and reflash your LT tune. You're in control and you don't need to rely on a tuner.

I'd definitely get LT's with EGR and AIR ports to save the hassle of reinstalling those systems as well as the manifolds and cats. Be careful to get good quality, because those tubes have been known to break off.

Lastly, you're a better man than I to go through a complete header uninstall and install every two years. If I move back to CA full-time, I'll stick with manifolds and cats. That's the plan for my M6 car.

Last edited by RevGTO; 08-08-2014 at 08:30 PM.

Quick Reply: California - smog info needed about tune.