Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

v8 swap...but im broke...help?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2014, 05:48 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default v8 swap...but im broke...help?

Ok long and short of it. I was saving for a bike until someone ran over my front bumper (big truck little car...yea). So now I'm taking my down payment and putting it towards car parts. Body wise in gonna keep a formula look with a raised hatch and a ram air hood. As for the mechanics, I'm gonna do a 5.3 with a t56 (5.3s are hella cheaper than ls1s and I want a 6 speed).

I know on my budget and given my lack of space at my apt complex, I can't do everything at once. So what I'm asking is can I switch out things here and there until I'm ready to drop in the engine trans brain (lik rear end, upgraded brakes, etc) or should I just find somewhere to hold everything until I'm ready

Prices I'm finding
3.73 rear end 500
5.3 engine 300
T56 1400
Ls1.. (manifold?) 100

Also I'd like, if possible, to rebuild the engine myself (I want the glory and the experience) how hard of a job would that be? I'm not trying to do any crazy upgrades. Like I don't need 400+ horses...yet... so just basic things that will push the engine from 295 stock hp to ls1 specs or close to it?

Also if u can't tell I'm a n00b to major repairs aka anything over maintenance (headlights, oil, cooling system, brakes) so forgive me for my n00bness n advance

Sgv hacienda Heights
Old 11-09-2014, 06:07 PM
12 Second Club

Well.... First you need the right tools for the job, google a "how to" and then do your research on that to double check before you start. If your removing the engine from the bottom realize how high the vehicle must be and again I stress have the right tools to make the job easier. Google is your friend here and you can learn a lot from videos on you tube and reading forums but still double check everything. The job itself is involved and not really for a novice however if you have common sense, the right tools and a good "true" write up plus resources and TIME... You can definitely do it.
Old 11-09-2014, 06:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its a big job and its the little things that make it hard and expensive. Wait till you have absolutely everything. Everything from the k member to fuel lines to harness all has to be swapped. My advice would be scrape every penny you can and just get a v8 car whether it be a donor or just a whole new one. A 5.3 would never be legal anyways and you couldn't carb certify it. Best of luck either way
Old 11-10-2014, 07:41 AM
Teching In

I've thought about the donor car. It's the cheapest way to get everything I need. I just don't want to deal with having to sell the roller or parting it out. And y wouldn't the 5.3 b legal?
Old 11-10-2014, 01:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by NIghtHAwk01
I've thought about the donor car. It's the cheapest way to get everything I need. I just don't want to deal with having to sell the roller or parting it out. And y wouldn't the 5.3 b legal?
5.3 is a truck engine. If u decide to carb certify your car that way you can smog it legally it needs a donor engine from the same class of car and same year or newer. When they inspect it they'll check block numbers, heads, etc.
Old 11-10-2014, 01:43 PM
TECH Regular

If you get a 5.3 you will still need... oil pan,car intake,pulley set up, pcm unless you already have them
Old 11-10-2014, 01:48 PM
TECH Regular

And from your lack of experience I would try and have somebody walk you through a engine build your first time, and I doubt your going to do all this in a apt complex. You need a lift or at least cherry picker and engine stand, and you will have a mess, if you think your going to do this in a parking lot I'd reconsider, your going to take days so you will be leaving stuff right were it sits overnite, you need a 2 car garage and a lot of tools, a couple buddy's preferably with some knowledge in rebuilds oh and some beer and funny cigarettes to pay your friends since you are in a budget, not tryin to discourage you just trying to start you off realistically before you car is torn apart and in pieces at your apartment
Old 11-10-2014, 02:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Read this thread, he did it and went thru certification in Cali
https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversions-hybrids/1165822-99-l36-v6-01-ls1-v8-swap-w-pics.html
Old 11-10-2014, 03:58 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ws6turbo
And from your lack of experience I would try and have somebody walk you through a engine build your first time, and I doubt your going to do all this in a apt complex. You need a lift or at least cherry picker and engine stand, and you will have a mess, if you think your going to do this in a parking lot I'd reconsider, your going to take days so you will be leaving stuff right were it sits overnite, you need a 2 car garage and a lot of tools, a couple buddy's preferably with some knowledge in rebuilds oh and some beer and funny cigarettes to pay your friends since you are in a budget, not tryin to discourage you just trying to start you off realistically before you car is torn apart and in pieces at your apartment
Naw man I don't get easily butthurt lol I figured it wouldn't b a one day thing. Now that putting a Lil more thought into this yea... I'll have to do this project at my boys place. Even with doing the engine and everything there, it wouldn't make sense to transport the engine to my complex and then bring more stuff when I can just leave my car at his place and call it a day
Old 11-10-2014, 05:34 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by NIghtHAwk01
Naw man I don't get easily butthurt lol I figured it wouldn't b a one day thing. Now that putting a Lil more thought into this yea... I'll have to do this project at my boys place. Even with doing the engine and everything there, it wouldn't make sense to transport the engine to my complex and then bring more stuff when I can just leave my car at his place and call it a day
if you got a buddy who will let you do it all there than I would have already had it there, then you can collect parts and work on it when you get the chance without having to clean up at night, that is if it will be in a garage
Old 11-11-2014, 10:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

I know a guy that has done one in a day. 5.3 to LS1... K member out, car up on a lift, swap motors, back in... Took 5.5 hours. But he is really good with a wrench. And he had good help. The car was running when it came in and drive itself out... The right tools make all the difference.
Old 11-12-2014, 01:32 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ryridesmotox
I know a guy that has done one in a day. 5.3 to LS1... K member out, car up on a lift, swap motors, back in... Took 5.5 hours. But he is really good with a wrench. And he had good help. The car was running when it came in and drive itself out... The right tools make all the difference.
Yeah and a Pitt crew could do it in 30 minutes, lol

But he's not a mechanic or a Pitt crew member

He doesn't have a lift or the knowledge to do it any were near that fast,no offence,... like you said 5.5 hours because he had proper tools,lift,shop,and help...and most likely has done multiple ls swaps if he can get to it in 5.5 hours. ..

Quick Reply: v8 swap...but im broke...help?