Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Dyno Tune Results

Old 04-04-2005, 08:33 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unhappy Dyno Tune Results

On Saturday I took the Z28 to be dyno tuned. The shop had a different kind of dyno that is more accurate then the conventional Mustang and DynoJet dynos, it was a DynaPack 4000 (check it out)! It takes the tires (growth, slip, etc.) out of the equation for mor precise results, plus it can hold any load/rpm (+/-3 rpms) to effectively tune your vehicle (VE Tuning). On the first pass with the "OE" tune the results were 392.3 @ ~6200 rpm and 341.6 @ ~4800. Miserable, but on par with A&A's dyno results a couple weeks back. We noticed also that the wideband I had barrowed from a friend was not giving accurate readings, so we were forced to ignore those results and go strictly off of the DynaPack's WB readings. The AFR was 13.44 @ ~5400 rpms. We noticed that after the ~5500 rpm range, they would plummet! We tried adjusting the VE table and timing, but it turned out the intake and throttle body are the bottle necks. I am now looking at a more serious intake setup that will not be a restriction, nor will it be "street friendly". Not that the car is street driven. Anyway, the final results as best we could do were 405.2 @ ~5000 rpms (which only climbed to 408.2 @ ~6300 rpms) and 459.1 @ ~4000 rpms. That is an increase in HP by 15.9 at peak (76.5 at the bottleneck) and 117.5 in TQ. We noticed that she was leaving with about 110 ft/lbs of TQ off of the transbrake, while lifting the tires ... now she will be leaving (off of the transbrake) with over 460 ft/lbs of TQ. Can you say wheel stands! When I get the intake tract figured out, I will head out to this dyno place again to finalize the Z28's tuning. My engine builder and Tuner (Strictly Performance and HPTuners respectively) think this setup should hit 460rwhp no problem. It does look like it was on it way to that goal had it not been for the LS6 intake and ported OE throttle body.
Old 04-04-2005, 11:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

George, why the ? +13 from tuning and over 400 with that power-gobbling trans? Sounds to me like it's ready for 10's next trip to Fontana.
Old 04-04-2005, 12:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Flame Throwing SS
We tried adjusting the VE table and timing, but it turned out the intake and throttle body are the bottle necks.
Are you running mafless?
Old 04-04-2005, 12:50 PM
TECH Junkie

The reason for the is because I know need to upgrade the TB and intake to see the full potential of this setup. I guess you are right Micah, 400+ with my power robbing drivetrain is very good. With that much more torque, she should run 10s this Friday at the private track rental. We fixed the brakes.

Yes, this is an open loop, speed density (MAFless) tune.
Old 04-04-2005, 01:40 PM

I know what you mean, I'm still running the LS6 intake and stock throttle body. I just can't see shelling out the huge cash required for the 90/90 upgrade.
Old 04-05-2005, 09:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Would it be safe to run an open loop on a car as a daily driver
Old 04-05-2005, 11:15 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by sevanseriesta
Would it be safe to run an open loop on a car as a daily driver
Nope, it is best to allow the car to go into closed loop to compensate for daily changes in the weather conditions. Plus, it is more economical/emissions friendly due to the O2s keeping the AFR near 14.7.
Old 04-10-2005, 06:17 PM
Staging Lane

I was @ the private rental on the 8th and saw one pass it looked like an 11.1,seems you ran into problems on the second pass.I was going to meet and talk to your group but I had bad timing right as she was going to make her second run and was just getting into her car.Than after that run I didn't want to bother you guys after having some problems on that run,plus you left a little while after that pass.I was in a 99 mbm T/A and ran a best of 12.8 @ 104.44 1.714 60ft. with just a tci3500 hoosier qtp's and a catback and lid stock tuning
Old 04-10-2005, 07:11 PM
9 Second Club

I wish you would have come over and talked to me. I love to meet people who want to meet me!!!! I always have time to talk. Please next time come on over!! Everyone in my group is doing their job, my job is to drive fast and mingle. So you live in Santa Clarita? I wonder if I have seen you around town?
Old 04-10-2005, 07:14 PM
Teching In

Hey MuscleMachine,

I was the guy in the white 99 Z28 who also ran a few 12.8's. I had alot of fun racing you. Are you going next month?
Old 04-10-2005, 07:20 PM
Teching In

Hi Jenibella,

I too was going to come over and say hello to you and George but you guys looked a little busy so I also didn't bother.

BTW, Was that you cruising around on that scooter?

I'll stop buy next time!

Mike
Old 04-10-2005, 07:31 PM
9 Second Club

Hi Mike,
We are never too busy to say hello. Please come over next time! Yes that was me on the scooter. I love riding that thing around. We won't be at the next track rental we are too busy with the Super Chevy Show and the Summit race at Irwindale Dragway. See you around.
Old 04-12-2005, 02:35 AM
Staging Lane

Hey Mike, I think I'm going to go.I had alot of fun racing with you also.We are 1-1.The best 2 out of 3.But with how many people are there we could go best outta 20 lol.Are you going?need to save money for a spare set of rims but think I can manage to squeeze enough money to race!

Jennibella, Next time I'll come over and chat!I'm sure I'll see you around @ lacr or fontana soon enough. Ron
Old 04-12-2005, 12:37 PM
Banned

On Saturday I took the Z28 to be dyno tuned. The shop had a different kind of dyno that is more accurate then the conventional Mustang and DynoJet dynos, it was a DynaPack 4000 (check it out)! It takes the tires (growth, slip, etc.) out of the equation for mor precise results, plus it can hold any load/rpm (+/-3 rpms) to effectively tune your vehicle (VE Tuning). On the first pass with the "OE" tune the results were 392.3 @ ~6200 rpm and 341.6 @ ~4800. Miserable, but on par with A&A's dyno results a couple weeks back. We noticed also that the wideband I had barrowed from a friend was not giving accurate readings, so we were forced to ignore those results and go strictly off of the DynaPack's WB readings. The AFR was 13.44 @ ~5400 rpms. We noticed that after the ~5500 rpm range, they would plummet! We tried adjusting the VE table and timing, but it turned out the intake and throttle body are the bottle necks. I am now looking at a more serious intake setup that will not be a restriction, nor will it be "street friendly". Not that the car is street driven. Anyway, the final results as best we could do were 405.2 @ ~5000 rpms (which only climbed to 408.2 @ ~6300 rpms) and 459.1 @ ~4000 rpms. That is an increase in HP by 15.9 at peak (76.5 at the bottleneck) and 117.5 in TQ. We noticed that she was leaving with about 110 ft/lbs of TQ off of the transbrake, while lifting the tires ... now she will be leaving (off of the transbrake) with over 460 ft/lbs of TQ. Can you say wheel stands! When I get the intake tract figured out, I will head out to this dyno place again to finalize the Z28's tuning. My engine builder and Tuner (Strictly Performance and HPTuners respectively) think this setup should hit 460rwhp no problem. It does look like it was on it way to that goal had it not been for the LS6 intake and ported OE throttle body.
How did you like the dynapack? I just bought a model 4000 myself as well. Should be here in a few days now. I like the fact that you get rid of the tires for more accuracy and you can hold loads to gain more power.

Rick
Old 04-12-2005, 01:32 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Rick@Synergy
How did you like the dynapack? I just bought a model 4000 myself as well. Should be here in a few days now. I like the fact that you get rid of the tires for more accuracy and you can hold loads to gain more power.

Rick
That thing was the best thing I have seen! What I really like was that it did not take away from shop space, the setup time is basically the same as a tie-down setup ... bolting on the adapters to the axles vs. using tie straps and crawling underneath the car. And you can tune pretty much every aspect of the car with varing loads. I don't think I would ever go to the other types of dynos again, after experiencing this setup. Great choice to add to your shop, it should make tuning a lot easier.
Old 04-12-2005, 11:14 PM
Banned

That thing was the best thing I have seen! What I really like was that it did not take away from shop space, the setup time is basically the same as a tie-down setup ... bolting on the adapters to the axles vs. using tie straps and crawling underneath the car. And you can tune pretty much every aspect of the car with varing loads. I don't think I would ever go to the other types of dynos again, after experiencing this setup. Great choice to add to your shop, it should make tuning a lot easier.

Thats why I choose it also. Thanks for another reason for me to be happy.
Old 04-12-2005, 11:23 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Congrats on the #s. I think the tuning aboility on that dyno is going to make a big difference since you can tune each cell to perfection if you wanted to.

Rick, you getting it that soon? You plan on tuning the Z71 on it or will my truck be done before you get the unit?
Old 04-12-2005, 11:27 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by F8L Z71
Congrats on the #s. I think the tuning aboility on that dyno is going to make a big difference since you can tune each cell to perfection if you wanted to.

Rick, you getting it that soon? You plan on tuning the Z71 on it or will my truck be done before you get the unit?

Dyno will run before your truck does F8lDynamite.
Old 04-12-2005, 11:33 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by Rick@Synergy
Dyno will run before your truck does F8lDynamite.

Better not make my truck the guinie pig!! Use the lil red truck!!! hahaha
Old 04-13-2005, 12:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

On Saturday I took the Z28 to be dyno tuned. The shop had a different kind of dyno that is more accurate then the conventional Mustang and DynoJet dynos, it was a DynaPack 4000 (check it out)!
What shop was it?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dyno Tune Results