Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Has anyone applied for a "SPCNS Certificate of Sequence" ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2005, 11:57 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anyone applied for a "SPCNS Certificate of Sequence" ?

As everyone here in California knows, having to register or having a smog inspection done to a vehicle here is very risky busines if the car is not EXACTLY how you bought it from the dealer.

I was looking to apply for a SPCNS Certificate to register my car as a "specially constructed vehicle" so I could do some very limited street driving and not have the car impounded by the smog *****.

I found thise paragraph interesting....

"In 2001, Senate Bill 100 passed which allowed the first 500 specially constructed passenger vehicles and pick-up trucks presented for original (initial) registration to DMV to have the year model for emissions control equipment and inspection purposes based on the appearance of the engine or the vehicle as a whole. In addition, if the vehicle or engine does not resemble an established make or year model BAR (Bureau of Automotive Repair) is required to assign 1960 as the year model for emission control purposes. In 2002, another Senate Bill passed, SB 1578, which allowed previously registered vehicles to be allowed this special consideration by BAR in addition to initial registrations."

I think this may be a good loop hole. If the motor doesn't look much like the original, and it doesn't, the car is smog exempt.

If anyone has gone through this process and can offer some helpful tips it would be MUCH appreciated. They only give out 500 of these certificates every year and I want to make sure I have everything ready before I walk into the DMV.

Thanks,

Ross

Last edited by bad2000ss; 10-28-2005 at 12:09 PM.
Old 10-28-2005, 10:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

i'd love to find out the same, sounds like a worthy cause and loophole

Anything on the DMV web site?
Old 10-29-2005, 10:29 AM
12 Second Club

Here is the link...

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/vr/spcns.htm

3rd paragraph

Old 10-29-2005, 03:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

All i can say is good luck! If it works, more power to ya. But from what i'm getting when reading it, there's no way in hell they'll let a newer car get that kind of deal
Old 10-29-2005, 04:55 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Kens_02SS
All i can say is good luck! If it works, more power to ya. But from what i'm getting when reading it, there's no way in hell they'll let a newer car get that kind of deal
The last sentence of that paragraph gives me a little hope...

"In 2002, another Senate Bill passed, SB 1578, which allowed previously registered vehicles to be allowed this special consideration by BAR in addition to initial registrations."
Old 10-29-2005, 05:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

The dmv sucks and will doubtfully go by the letter of the law. I drive my car on the street occasionally and just register my car normally. Cops are surprisingly cool with it as long as you don't drive like an idiot. I have a loud *** exhaust and never get pulled over. The only times I was pulled over before I was doing stupid stuff.
Old 11-02-2005, 12:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Sorry to bring bad news, but dont even waste your time. That law was designed for registering kit cars like a factory five cobra. Besides, its done by lottery and usually all 500 cars are registered before the end of january each year.

Quick Reply: Has anyone applied for a "SPCNS Certificate of Sequence" ?