Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

is nitrous legal. .

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2006, 11:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is nitrous legal. .

like title says . . i want to mount the bottle on the trans hump in the back seats and just wnat to know when im driving around i need to have it unpluged bottle closed or worse out of the car.. . ive searched to the end of google. .
Old 02-21-2006, 03:33 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

leave it unhooked with the valve opened you'll have to vent it outside the car, and probably have it unhooked just driving around town in case you get pulled over. I'm not sure how it works out with track tech though...
Old 02-21-2006, 05:59 PM
11 Second Club

I asked highway patrol about this and he said that if i carry a compressed gas in the car i have to have a special license of some kind (i dont remeber which one) or at the minimum a placard on the out side of the vehicle.
Old 02-21-2006, 06:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

so i have to go talk to the chp about it . . i just dont want to get a huge ticket for transporting. .
Old 02-21-2006, 06:28 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by OOOJOHN
I asked highway patrol about this and he said that if i carry a compressed gas in the car i have to have a special license of some kind
Well, the rule couldn't be "compressed gas" or every SCUBA diver in the state would be cited. And I know for a fact that transporting SCUBA tanks is legal as long as they have DOT stamps on them. Even transporting compressed pure O2 (which I do regularly for a decompression gas) is legal.

I know nothing about nitrous systems - if it's stored as a liquid, that might be different. But if it's just a compressed gas, then you would just need a DOT stamp on the tank.
Old 02-21-2006, 08:44 PM
TECH Regular

Regardless of its it's legal or not, I would just hide the bottle. Get a gym bag or something to cover it at the least if you're really dead set on tunnel mounting it.

Having a fast car means we get away with less crap then people with slow econoboxes. Getting pulled over for speeding or some other offense with a nitrous bottle in plain view is asking for a ticket regardless of if the cop was going to let you off or not.
Old 02-21-2006, 09:02 PM
TECH Addict

I know a guy who just got pulled over here in norcal. The cop saw N2O lines, but no tank. He gave him a ticket for modified emissions device. The tank doesn't even have to be in the car for a ticket. You can get pulled over for no front license plate, tinted side windows, etc. etc., and if the cop looks under your hood and sees nitrous lines, you're going to the smog ref. Whether it's legal or not, the ticket means you get to pull off all your mods and go to the smog ref for a complete inspection. I love CA!!

Last edited by Redneck Z; 02-21-2006 at 09:08 PM.
Old 02-21-2006, 10:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Compressed gas is BS. Unfortunately, there are no CARB approved kits for the LSx series cars, so it is a smog hit. Now, if you did get hit with the smog hit, you could probably successfully argue in court that since it has no effect on emmisions and you weren't using it and it is purely installed for offroad use and get it thrown out. But yeah, you would end up going to the ref.

Short version, if you feel you may be in a situation that it would matter, hide it.
Old 02-21-2006, 10:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Funny trivia, the NOS dry kit for one of the years of LT1 fbodies does indeed have a CARB EO number...

I spent a few hours at the ref one time trying to convince him that I shouldn't have to remove my nitrous to smog, he was said yeah its kinda bs but you still have to take it off to smog.
Old 02-21-2006, 11:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

aight i guess ill just end up hiding it . . only reason i wanted to mount it there. was to save sum money on the remote bottle opener. . but time to invest in one thansk fellas. .
Old 02-22-2006, 02:24 AM
10 Second Club

remote bottle openers are effin expensive, it's the only thing at this point that's holding me back from buying a system, the emissions friendly dry kit of course
Old 02-22-2006, 10:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Sounds like you would have to hide your switch panel and guages also??? If they look for nitrous lines I'm sure it won't be hard for them to see a guage and switch panel.
Old 02-22-2006, 02:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

im just going to end up puttin my switchs in the ash tray and the guage in my arm rest . . i didnt know just for tinted windows or no front license plate they can pop ur hood. .just like ur trunk .. or is that a myth .?
Old 02-22-2006, 02:58 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by flash12t
im just going to end up puttin my switchs in the ash tray and the guage in my arm rest . . i didnt know just for tinted windows or no front license plate they can pop ur hood. .just like ur trunk .. or is that a myth .?
they cant pop your hood for those but have every reason to pull you over... once pulled over your in there hands and can pretty much do whatever bullshit to make you look like a puppet
Old 02-22-2006, 04:13 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by RrCoX22
they cant pop your hood for those but have every reason to pull you over... once pulled over your in there hands and can pretty much do whatever bullshit to make you look like a puppet

You guys must have missed my post. I know someone who just got pulled over for no front license plate/tinted window's, and the officer asked him to pop the hood. This is when he found the N2O lines. Whether they can or can't do it, it happend and now he has to go to the smog ref. CA cops have a hard on for streetracing and car mods right now, and will have you pop your hood anytime they get the chance.
Old 02-22-2006, 06:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

At least cops are still reasonable in San Diego.

If you make a cursory attempt to hide your system (put the noids somewhere out of plain view and paint them black, cover the braided lines with plastic conduit), hide the bottle in the pass rear wheel well, put the switches in the ashtray, you should stand a decent chance of coming clean from a traffic stop.

Is it legal for them to make you pop your hood? Probably not. You would have to be willing to spend a lot of money to get it thrown out though. It isn't an illegal search until you challenge it in court.

My advice is that if you car is grossly illegal in the smog department, tinting the windows and running no front plate is the stupidest thing you could do. Thats why I have the quietest heads/cam/longtube/!cats/front plate/ no tint car you'll probably ever hear.

Last edited by Bombguy99z28; 02-22-2006 at 06:58 PM.
Old 02-22-2006, 07:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

i have tinted windows. . very rarely do i have no front license plate but i take a screw driver with me. . so i can take it off in a hurry . . and ussally drive with my windows down weather permitted. .so now i have to hide all traces of my nitrous just to be safe. .?? wow cali = **** state. .
Old 02-22-2006, 08:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

If a cop asks and you let him search your car, you can forget about getting it thrown out later. Always say "no" and either let him fabricate PC (then you have a leg to stand on) or let them go on their merry way. At least that way you live to fight another day.
Old 02-22-2006, 08:55 PM
Dan
11 Second Club

A few years ago I got pulled over for doing something stupid, My Nitrous tank is in the trunk in plain view..The cops eyes lit up & said "Is that Nitrous"? I said yes, but it's not open..Nothing else was said about it..I think it depends on where you live, But I have done a boat load of car shows with cops around & have not been harassed once..All my Nitrous selonoids & lines are in plain view. Either I am lucky or there is some mis-info here..
Old 02-22-2006, 11:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Naw, you aren't the only one. I got pulled over for speeding (95/65) a few years back and had a nitrous bottle sitting on the passenger seat. They just laughed and gave me a ticket for 80 in a 65.

Quick Reply: is nitrous legal. .