Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

What's SLC, UT like? Thinking of moving there...

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2006, 11:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What's SLC, UT like? Thinking of moving there...

Time for a change for the family, and I'm wanting to move out west. Have considered Albuquerque, NM, and I'm going to check it out next month.
My father-in-law already lives in Salt Lake, and is REALLY trying to talk us into moving there. Of course, he wants to be closer to his only daughter, and our 4 kids, but he says he really likes it. Keep in mind, he's single, and makes WELL in th six fgures, what's it like for NORMAL people?
I'm not too worried about a job, I sell cars now, and can go to work at one of the stores I am already associated with now (Acura) or go to work at Aetna, since I have a few years under my belt in Health Insurance admin and call center managaement.
Anyway, what's the housing like; size, availability, location, land size, and more importantly price? I don't think finding a 4+ bedroom house will be aproblem out there with all the large Morman families LOL
Any advice, pros, cons, areas to stay away from?
Weather, happening, events, street scene (important to me LOL) whatever else might be good to know...
THANKS GUYS!!!
Old 04-14-2006, 01:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i live about 40min south of SLC.. very nice..

Pro: English is the 1st language, No smog, Housing is 3rd of the cost, so is the cost of living when compaired to SoCal, relaxed lifestyle, VERY family oriented state, 4 seasons. Numerous lakes, Snow Skiing is 2nd to none in the US.

Cons: No beach, Dry air, 4200ft altitude (cars loose some HP)
Old 04-14-2006, 02:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

what is it like where you are specifially, I'm not opposed to living just outside SLC either, looking for some land preferably. I don't want to be in a cookie-cutter neighborhood any more, but don't want to be too far removed from things either.
THANKS!
Old 04-14-2006, 07:09 PM
TECH Addict

Pleasant Grove..

no cookie cutter housing here.. the area where I live, each house is about 30 yards from wall to wall.. i have just over half an acre of land.. 4000sqft home.. housing out here is cheap.. but its going up so if you move.. move now...

if you live in Utah County(where I am), not Salt Lake County, housing is better, not cookie cutter, less expensive, and you get more room. There are also some awesome places to go driving here. I like to road race myself, SCCA or other events, but if you go out late at night like 2am.. i know some awesome canyon/mountain runs we like to do, and no PO-PO's..
Old 04-14-2006, 07:55 PM
11 Second Club

if i were you i would go visit for a week and talk to many people.i grew up out there and its very nice lots to do but the people there are verry different from anywhere else imo.
Old 04-14-2006, 08:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by myws6istheshiznit
if i were you i would go visit for a week and talk to many people.i grew up out there and its very nice lots to do but the people there are verry different from anywhere else imo.
heading out there for a few days next month. Father-in-law has lived there for over 3 years now. HE LOVES IT
Old 04-14-2006, 10:21 PM
11 Second Club

like i said its super nice out there i miss the mountains, bike trails,and the fishing was great iwould move back there as long as its away from the crowds dont take this wrong im not prejudice but mormons are just strange.i guess i just kinda felt like an outsider since i was catholic they thought we were weird.it just seems like there is a bit of good old boy mentality.i hope i didnt offend anyone thats just my opinion.
Old 04-14-2006, 11:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

like i said its super nice out there i miss the mountains, bike trails,and the fishing was great iwould move back there as long as its away from the crowds dont take this wrong im not prejudice but mormons are just strange.i guess i just kinda felt like an outsider since i was catholic they thought we were weird.it just seems like there is a bit of good old boy mentality.i hope i didnt offend anyone thats just my opinion.
I'm Catholic also, and was very surprised at the number of Catholic churches and schools there. I'll be moving out there with my family, as well as my mother-in-law. We're also trying to get my wife's grandmother to move out there also. Believe it or not, she's Mormon, so maybe we can use her as a cover! LOL
I'm looking at real estate now, seems pretty reasonable. Where do I need to look, if I want some land though? (1-3 acres)
Old 04-14-2006, 11:51 PM
11 Second Club

my buddy just bought land in toole (im not sure i spelled that right) but it is nice and lots of land
Old 04-15-2006, 12:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

my buddy just bought land in toole (im not sure i spelled that right) but it is nice and lots of land
Thanks, I was just checking a map to see that in relation to SLC. That's what I was thinking. That's kind of like where I live in relation to Jacksonville now. That's actually the third or fourth time that area was recommended to me.
Old 04-15-2006, 06:26 PM
TECH Addict

toole (pronounced Two-illa)

is a total hick, Roedo riding, look at you funny unless you drive a Ford truck with a gun rack, inbred town.. its also on the south side of the lake.. so you get the nasty salt lake smells.. and wind.. look into the Lehi area.. or Jordan..
Old 04-16-2006, 04:39 PM
On The Tree

well i moved to salt lake in 2000 from cali....i didnt like it much. the home prices and people are good but its a different life style. much slower i think, but good for a family. the biggest problem i had was that nothing is open on sunday other than the arcade and cinnabun hehehe.
Old 04-16-2006, 04:39 PM
On The Tree

oh and it sucks not being able to drive the ride in the winter.
Old 04-16-2006, 04:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thank God **** is closed on Sundays. I'm sick of working 270+ hours in a month!
I was raised in WI, I'm looking for a MUCH slower paced environment rto raise my kids in.
Old 04-16-2006, 05:08 PM
On The Tree

yeah my family still lives in salt lake and its nice and quiet but im still 23 and need some beaches and b.... well you get the point hehe. jk. its nice and my dad bought a 6 bedroom 3 bath, new home for 147k 4 years ago. maybe ill see you around one day there.
Old 04-16-2006, 05:10 PM
On The Tree

also have all of my dads side of the family there and a lot of my younger cousins go to catholic schools there. nice living but tooo slow for me right now, maybe later when i get married. good luck
Old 04-17-2006, 12:25 PM
12 Second Club

I moved here from TX, and honestly, Im having a HARD time with it. It is clean, safe, pleasent weather(yes, I like snow), but the people(at least in Cache Valley) are not outgoing or friendly. Feels like one of those sci-fi movies where there is a big secret that everyone knows but you.. Weird. But outside of the valley seems a little better.
Old 04-17-2006, 12:32 PM
11 Second Club

thats exactly what i was talking about it is very damn wierd
Old 04-17-2006, 07:49 PM
TECH Addict

thats because you live in Logan... good lord thats out in the boonies..
Old 04-17-2006, 09:22 PM
On The Tree

utah is just hard to get used to when you come from a more populated state i would say.

Quick Reply: What's SLC, UT like? Thinking of moving there...