Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

"Professional" tuner warning

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2006, 06:36 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Professional" tuner warning

I had one of the more respected tuners in the LA area tune my car last year which I paid $ 650 for (supposedly a combined street & dynotune). The dynosheet showed very nice numbers indeed so I had no reason to be unhappy. However, it did behave a bit strange when driven under normal (not WOT) conditions. As an example, torque down low was almost non-existent which made it a pain to drive. This became more and more noticable and I also had major issues with my idle that constantly hung at 2k for extended periods of time (I approached the tuner with this several times and he "had no clue what it could be").
Unfortunately, I moved away from Cali (europe) shortly after the work was done and had almost no chance of complaining in person.
After a while, and a lot of thread reading, I found out that my TB had been drilled way too much which caused the idle problem. I ended up replacing the TB which solved the problem. I had not told anybody to drill my TB! Cost me app. $ 300 (freight to europe).
I have spent the last couple of months learning how to tune myself with HP Tuners and WB hardware and all I can say is that the "tune" that was done to the car is terrible. I paid $ 650 (+ the new TB) for some changes to the timing table, some [incorrect] VE changes, and a PE table increase up high. Nothing else was done. NO apparent effort was made to actually tune the car and I definitely feel cheated. It's obvious that this person either didn't know how to tune properly or didn't really give a damn since I was a dumb customer who new nothing.
This is a lesson learned for me and possibly a warning to other people who plan on having your cars tuned by a professional - make sure he/she is really a serious professional.
Old 08-08-2006, 08:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

ok i give up, who is it?? Doesn't mean jack without names
Old 08-08-2006, 08:58 AM
On The Tree

Man thats fawked up!.... So yeah who was it??
Old 08-08-2006, 09:52 AM
Teching In

strictly...
Old 08-08-2006, 10:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

My car was sticking at 1.5K RPM after my first tune there too. .
Old 08-08-2006, 11:16 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will give you guys some input, and hopefully it will allow you to make better decisions as to how you select a tuner. Most tuners will only do dyno tunes (wot passes only) and typically in an hour's time. That is not enough time to fully calibrate the VE Table and MAF Table, as well as the timing table for the most power. There are tables in the code that dictate what AFR ratio to use at a given time/condition. Ask your tuner what he is changing and why, most reputable tuners will explain all of this. If they do not want to at least let you know how they plan to tune your car or answer questions you have, move on. The old way of tuning used to be to butcher the IFR table or butcher the PE table. These are set tables that should not be modified to get the fuel in line, that is what the VE and MAF tables are for ... and should be used to follow the Commanded AFR very closely (verified with a wideband). Good luck with your future tuning, and I hope you others success in finding a reputable tuner. This is why I started tuning, I do/did not like what I saw from some "tuners".
Old 08-08-2006, 11:17 AM
Launching!

Wow, that's messed up. I can't believe they drilled your TB without your permission. And $650 is outrageous for a tune, dyno or not.
Old 08-08-2006, 12:16 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 12secSS
I will give you guys some input, and hopefully it will allow you to make better decisions as to how you select a tuner. Most tuners will only do dyno tunes (wot passes only) and typically in an hour's time. That is not enough time to fully calibrate the VE Table and MAF Table, as well as the timing table for the most power. There are tables in the code that dictate what AFR ratio to use at a given time/condition. Ask your tuner what he is changing and why, most reputable tuners will explain all of this. If they do not want to at least let you know how they plan to tune your car or answer questions you have, move on. The old way of tuning used to be to butcher the IFR table or butcher the PE table. These are set tables that should not be modified to get the fuel in line, that is what the VE and MAF tables are for ... and should be used to follow the Commanded AFR very closely (verified with a wideband). Good luck with your future tuning, and I hope you others success in finding a reputable tuner. This is why I started tuning, I do/did not like what I saw from some "tuners".
I know all that now but not then. Don't most people use tuners because they don't know how? Guess I learned my lesson. The car was not initially in for a dynotune only, I wanted it tuned for normal driving and idle problems. I later asked for a dyno(WOT)tune in addition to this.
Old 08-08-2006, 01:28 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my personal experience is dont drill the TB, unless there is absolutely no way to get enough air at the motor at idle to make it idle, this usually only happens with very large cams, and large cams in stroker, but for the most part you can tune the think to idle without altering the TB at all.
Old 08-08-2006, 01:29 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by goofy
I had one of the more respected tuners in the LA area tune my car last year which I paid $ 650 for (supposedly a combined street & dynotune). The dynosheet showed very nice numbers indeed so I had no reason to be unhappy. However, it did behave a bit strange when driven under normal (not WOT) conditions. As an example, torque down low was almost non-existent which made it a pain to drive. This became more and more noticable and I also had major issues with my idle that constantly hung at 2k for extended periods of time (I approached the tuner with this several times and he "had no clue what it could be").
Unfortunately, I moved away from Cali (europe) shortly after the work was done and had almost no chance of complaining in person.
After a while, and a lot of thread reading, I found out that my TB had been drilled way too much which caused the idle problem. I ended up replacing the TB which solved the problem. I had not told anybody to drill my TB! Cost me app. $ 300 (freight to europe).
I have spent the last couple of months learning how to tune myself with HP Tuners and WB hardware and all I can say is that the "tune" that was done to the car is terrible. I paid $ 650 (+ the new TB) for some changes to the timing table, some [incorrect] VE changes, and a PE table increase up high. Nothing else was done. NO apparent effort was made to actually tune the car and I definitely feel cheated. It's obvious that this person either didn't know how to tune properly or didn't really give a damn since I was a dumb customer who new nothing.
This is a lesson learned for me and possibly a warning to other people who plan on having your cars tuned by a professional - make sure he/she is really a serious professional.
and your cam is very small, should almost idled fine on the stock tune.
Old 08-08-2006, 01:54 PM
12 Second Club

I had my car tuned there and lets say that i will never go back. My afr was commanding at 10.7 and the timing was at 17 degrees. I now have a good friend who does it for me.
Old 08-08-2006, 02:05 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

well this isnt good to hear
Old 08-08-2006, 03:52 PM
On The Tree

thats why i am having 12secss do hptuners on my car, hopefulyl tomorrow. he treats the tune as if the car was his, i have heard he doesnt just do a quick tune and say see ya later. he has a good rep of taking his time and maing sure u r happy when u leave. hopefully i am not jinxing myself!!!dammmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Old 08-08-2006, 04:26 PM
On The Tree

i know its off subject but how difficult is it to learn how to tune? ive already payed 550 fora dynotune and with some extra mods i dont feel like doing it again.

sandro
Old 08-08-2006, 04:41 PM
On The Tree

I aired out my "bad experience" with strictly on this board about this time last year. I try to warn unsuspecting others now a days like goofy is doing.
Old 08-08-2006, 10:59 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

stickboy, no tune will help you now....
Old 08-08-2006, 11:17 PM
11 Second Club

not too long ago i also posted some issues i had with them. nice to know im not the only one speaking out about this shop
Old 08-09-2006, 11:32 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by myws6istheshiznit
not too long ago i also posted some issues i had with them. nice to know im not the only one speaking out about this shop
Actually, I had problems with them, too, and I haven't been back since. But this was a couple of years ago, and I didn't see anyone else complaining, so I never said anything.
Old 08-09-2006, 12:52 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

damn people are coming out of the woodwork
Old 08-09-2006, 01:04 PM
On The Tree

Sooner or later it was bound to happen.

Quick Reply: "Professional" tuner warning