Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

California Smog requirements

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2006, 11:42 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default California Smog requirements

Hey everyone I was looking for info on what would be required to bring a car into California from another State. I dont want to purchase this car if I have a bunch of bullshit smog requirements. Please help me out Im looking at a really nice SS in Oklahoma and need to know if I can make this happen.
Old 08-22-2006, 11:59 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I been through this a couple of times. Currently all you need is the pink slip signed to you, take the car over to DMV for processing, they you take it to a smog center, return to DMV for final registration. F-bodies will pass CA smog without a rpoblem, there are no special items legally required to register an out of state vehicle in CA. Just so long as it passes smog. You do not need to add special CA onyl equipment to pass, that was ruled unconstitutional back in the 1990's.

FYI, we purchase our 1998 Z28 from Florida and registered here in CA without a hitch, back in 2004. Good luck!
Old 08-22-2006, 12:01 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks man thats some really great news!
Old 08-22-2006, 12:07 PM
On The Tree

When I brought my car in from Connecticut I just had to go through the typical CA smog checks (i.e. sniffer, visual, OBD II). If the car is completely stock there should be no problems.

Also, I think by law you are required to have the car registered in CA within 60 days of establishing residency in the state.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/brochures/howto/htvr9.htm
Old 08-22-2006, 12:15 PM
Staging Lane

Yes the car is completely stock besides some springs and wheels...
Old 08-22-2006, 12:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

you'll be fine
Old 08-22-2006, 01:24 PM
TECH Addict

Yeah you should be fine, its when you get the upgraded headers, y-pipe and cats is where you really start to get into trouble.
Old 08-22-2006, 01:33 PM
10 Second Club

http://forums.officer.com/forums/arc...p/t-34542.html

California Crackdown on Modified Cars
$5 million in federal money will fund a Sacramento, California effort to stop drivers in modified cars.

Police in Sacramento, California announced Wednesday that they would use $5 million in federal money to begin cracking down on auto enthusiasts who modify their vehicles. The money will be used to form an undercover "Drag-Net" unit to stop motorists who appear to be driving modified cars.

The concept, which originated in San Diego in 2001, has been spreading throughout the state and generated significant revenue for the California Highway Patrol and local departments. In Santa Fe Springs, for example, twelve officers on Drag-Net duty issued 300 citations and impounded 50 vehicles in just one weekend. Several cities have drag-racing ordinances that allow police to auction off seized cars and keep the profits.

Under Drag-Net, San Diego officers come to train other departments how to look out for what they believe to be tell-tale signs of illegal modification such as window tinting, large spoilers, extra gauges or racing stickers. Police say this gives them probable cause to stop and inspect a vehicle and its engine compartment.

In practice, "excessive exaust noise" tickets are the most common violation. California law does not require police to measure sound levels objectively. Instead, according to the Calfiornia Highway Patrol, the "citation is based on officer's judgment."

Drivers of stock vehicles that come from the factory with some of the characteristics of modified cars have experienced harassment under this provision. One such motorist complained on an enthusiast website that the Calfiornia Highway Patrol was using these programs to make "driving while Asian" a crime, pointing out that the department's own website has several pages dedicated to Asian involvement in street racing and "vehicle modification."

Anyone receiving a vehicle modification "fix-it" ticket must visit a California Bureau of Automobile Repair office and pay a $35 fee to have their car inspected. If the car fails, a judge can impose another fine of up to $2000 for failing to meet California emissions requirements.

Article Excerpt:
"We're looking to make a heavy impact on speeding and street racing in this area," Sacramento Police Deputy Chief Steve Segura said during a press conference with local and state officials on Del Paso Road in North Natomas.
Source: Area law enforcers to receive training to combat street racing (Sacramento Bee, 8/4/2005)
Old 08-22-2006, 01:41 PM
On The Tree

Everytime I read that article I can't help but feel a strange mixture of rage, and pity.
Old 08-22-2006, 02:09 PM
NKAWTG...N

Cali section...
Old 08-22-2006, 02:13 PM
11 Second Club

DragNet isn't too harsh on domestics, just the imports, of course if you're tearing through the streets being a complete ***, then be prepared to have a rectal exam by DragNet.
Old 08-22-2006, 04:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Brought mine from Texas, stock, no problems with registering it.
Old 08-23-2006, 12:05 AM
10 Second Club

How does this affect those of us that are legally registered in other states (Texas), and have a heavily modified car?
Old 08-23-2006, 01:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BlueThunder2
How does this affect those of us that are legally registered in other states (Texas), and have a heavily modified car?
If you move to Cali and don't keep it registered in another state, then you would be fucked (assuming it is a post-197x car).
Old 08-23-2006, 04:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

the fact of the matter is, if you have an out of state plate you're fair game. Cops love making a quick buck, especially if you're just passing through. I plan on moving to Texas in a few months and the first thing on my list of "things to do" is get a Texas plate. CA is cracking down on modded cars (mostly imports) especially north and south. The bay area isn't bad (knock on wood) but it's only a matter of time.
Old 08-23-2006, 10:49 AM
10 Second Club

Is anyone a cop or lawyer and know where you would stand if pulled over? In the county I'm registered in (Texas), my car does not have to pass smog. It has to pass a safety inspection, and have Cats. installed. So, if I'm stationed out here in Cali., and leave my car registered in Texas, can I receive a ticket for running long tube headers and a heavily modded engine? Do they have a legal leg to stand on?
Old 08-23-2006, 12:51 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 12secSS
I been through this a couple of times. Currently all you need is the pink slip signed to you, take the car over to DMV for processing, they you take it to a smog center, return to DMV for final registration. F-bodies will pass CA smog without a rpoblem, there are no special items legally required to register an out of state vehicle in CA. Just so long as it passes smog. You do not need to add special CA onyl equipment to pass, that was ruled unconstitutional back in the 1990's.

FYI, we purchase our 1998 Z28 from Florida and registered here in CA without a hitch, back in 2004. Good luck!
Actually, if you just want to make one trip to the DMV, you don't need a pink slip to get your car smog tested. The smog tech can just use the VIN off the engine. That's what I did recently with a newly purchased daily driver.
Old 08-23-2006, 01:53 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by BeachZ
Actually, if you just want to make one trip to the DMV, you don't need a pink slip to get your car smog tested. The smog tech can just use the VIN off the engine. That's what I did recently with a newly purchased daily driver.
Whatever, Jen did it not I. But I beleive you are correct.

How's it going Bruce?
Old 08-23-2006, 01:59 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by BlueThunder2
Is anyone a cop or lawyer and know where you would stand if pulled over? In the county I'm registered in (Texas), my car does not have to pass smog. It has to pass a safety inspection, and have Cats. installed. So, if I'm stationed out here in Cali., and leave my car registered in Texas, can I receive a ticket for running long tube headers and a heavily modded engine? Do they have a legal leg to stand on?
what sucks for you -- and i just recently went thru this with someone on this board that came out to CA (stationed in oxnard).

California Military bases allow you to leave your car registered in other states, but in order to get a permit to be on base you have to pass the CA Smog test. (basically the same as registering your car in CA).

good luck to ya.
Old 08-23-2006, 02:02 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 12secSS
Whatever, Jen did it not I. But I beleive you are correct.

How's it going Bruce?
Doing ok, George. I can't believe how good my car is running. I'm just about ready to add nitrous, so I guess I'll be giving you another call one of these days.

Quick Reply: California Smog requirements