Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

In Ca how is an emissions inspection performed.

Old 04-17-2007, 11:58 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Default In Ca how is an emissions inspection performed.

How do they go about doing an emissions inspection on a 96 up vehicle with obd2. Do they just do a visual and check the im monitors or is there more to it than that.

Last edited by 01WS6/tamu; 04-17-2007 at 12:04 PM.
Old 04-17-2007, 02:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

they do two parts.

1) visual: look for cats in stock location, muffler, stock intake setup.
2) sniffer test: they run the car in rollers at both 5 and 20 mph (or was it 15?) and they look at several variables and compare them to the DMV ranges for that model car. while this is done their computer is plugged into OBDII to verify the vehicle.
Old 04-17-2007, 02:43 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Welcome to Kalifornia! Land of the **** smog techs! Home of the limousine liberal and half-million dollar 1200 square foot homes.......

Boy am I glad I left for greener (?) pastures....
Old 04-17-2007, 03:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wrote this in another thread.

I'm a guru when it comes to smog in California, been through it MANY times...

There are three main parts to the test: Visual inspection, Computer inspection, "Sniffer" test. However, depending on your ZIP code, the testing and limits vary. There are basic areas and enhanced areas, some in between and some don't require smog at all. I test in an enhanced area, where they put your car on rollers and test at different speeds under load.

Visual: This one is pretty basic, they just look over the engine bay and under the car and look for anything damaged or aftermarket. They look for cats of course and make sure they are in the proper location. They will also look for the emission control devices such as AIR and EGR. They know this by the underhood sticker. If you are feeling sly and remove it, their computer will tell them what you are supposed to have. They will also look for other engine related aftermarket parts and request CARB numbers for any you have. An inspector can ignore the visual and many of us know.

Computer: This one is a little more complicated and I don't know the entirety of it. They plug your PCM into their computer and scan your PCM. If you have an SES light you automatically fail. I think codes pending delete also will raise their eyebrows. As Richard said, you get two free "Not Ready" codes. A not ready code usually arises when you delete a function of the PCM, such as the EGR, AIR, CAGS, or rear O2 sensors. The PCM can be properly tuned so these "Not Ready" codes don't show up. If you pass this, then you do the sniffer. The inspector cannot ignore this step as it's 100% computer operated.

Sniffer: Here's the fun one. All they do is shove an O2 sensor on crack down your exhaust pipe and measure the contents of certain chemicals in PPM or %, so having dual exhaust doesn't help, so don't ask. If you don't have cats, you pretty much won't pass. However, I've heard stories of catless cars passing. They test for five main things, CO2(%), O2(%), HC(hydro-carbons, PPM), CO(carbon monoxide, %), and NO(nitrogen monoxide, PPM). Only the last three can you be failed for if you exceed the max limit. This step is also computer automated and can be difficult to get by. For enhanced areas, they test the car at 15mph and 25mph on dyno-like rollers. My results are below:

My car stock:
15mph:
HC: Max: 49, Ave: 9, Meas: 7
CO: Max: 0.47, Ave: 0.02, Meas: 0.01
NO: Max: 409, Ave: 57, Meas 245

25mph:
HC: Max: 33, Ave: 7, Meas: 5
CO: Max: 0.44, Ave: 0.03, Meas: 0.00
NO: Max: 696, Ave: 50, Meas 26

My car w/ TR224/114, tuned, 31% alcohol, Carsound cats, LT's, 2 years later:
15mph:
HC: Max: 51, Ave: 9, Meas: 41
CO: Max: 0.48, Ave: 0.02, Meas: 0.01
NO: Max: 419, Ave: 57, Meas 215

25mph:
HC: Max: 35, Ave: 7, Meas: 27
CO: Max: 0.46, Ave: 0.03, Meas: 0.03
NO: Max: 706, Ave: 50, Meas 249

Looking at these results, our cars actually are cleaner than the average stock. However, throw in a cam and you start dumping hydro-carbons. The cam actually lowered the emissions of NO at 15mpg which may be a glitch or something. I also find it funny how CA is trying to cut down on smog, yet they raised the max limit for all three tests between these two years.

Now, if you want a FAST car in CA while still being able to pass smog without "assistance", there isn't much too it. Either go with a P1SC supercharger, or large cubes, which can't be seen in any of the tests. Choose a reasonable cam. Overlap of the cam is the primary generator of emissions. Overlap is determined by both duration and LSA. A 224 would be a reasonable CA cam in a 408. The more cubes "use up" more of the cam, so you could even run a larger cam and still pass.

My best advice is to not always rely on someone to help you with smog. If you want your car to pass smog legally, then build it right, know the system, and you will have no issues at all.
Old 04-17-2007, 04:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

your 2nd test says you have Long Tubes... since when did you pass the visual with Long Tubes? and obviously relocated and aftermarket cats??
Old 04-17-2007, 06:23 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

I was just curious as there has been rumblings as of late about adopting Kali emissions testing as opposed to the check im codes and send you on their way as they do now in a few larger cities. I live in the middle of nowhere so it is not a problem for me just curious.
Old 04-17-2007, 08:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GR33N GoblinM6
your 2nd test says you have Long Tubes... since when did you pass the visual with Long Tubes? and obviously relocated and aftermarket cats??
We all have our ways.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: In Ca how is an emissions inspection performed.