Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

>engine Help<

Old 04-23-2007, 11:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question >engine Help<

Hi,

I am new to this forum AND also to muscle cars... (I've been playing with BMW for the last couple of years) that being said I want to know how to tell between a regular 454 and an LS5 or LS6 the original 454 that Chevelles' came with. I have one that has everything original except engine and tranny ... SO I am looking for an engine to put in my ride. 1) would it be worth buying an LS5/6 and putting it on the ride even though it wont be matching numbers? AND how could I tell IF its a REAL LS engine... Are there any numbers I need to look out for, I've seen some with 396..... 2) Would it be the same IF I just purchase a non LS 454 and rebuilt that and slap that on. SORRY IF this a STUPID question... then again that IS why I'm here so I could learn FROM people that know their CHEVYs

Thanks in advance and go on and eat me up if it is a stupid question.
Old 04-23-2007, 12:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Post this in the Engine area that would be ale to help a lot more.
Old 04-23-2007, 10:35 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i dont know the casting number for the ls5/ls6 blocks, but it can be found on google.

in order for it to be worth something that isnt "numbers matching" the parts must be correct date-coded parts. ie block, heads, cam, intake, carb, dist etc.....it gets really expensive trust me, people think those date coded N.O.S, and original parts are gold.

is the car bench seat, bucket, auto, or stick, and does it have a console?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: >engine Help<