Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Advice from Edwards AFB Lancaster CA area

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 07:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Advice from Edwards AFB Lancaster CA area

Well im from the we east of over here in pennsylvania...i work at a small air force reserve base..

anyways a position came open in CA at edwards afb that i would qualified for..
but all i hear from people that live in pa that ever been there are eww good god thats in the desert...

any local live around that area...

shoot me an email

aaron.spangler@pittsburgh.af.mil
Old 08-03-2007, 08:35 AM
10 Second Club

I just got back from inspecting a Marine Unit up there. I would NOT want to be stationed there. Unless, you only enjoy Desert toys (i.e. Dirt bikes, ATV's, etc.) The mornings are beautiful. Great time to go running. The golf course on the base is nice. Lancaster is nearest town that has anything to do. Lots of motocross tracks though. That's about it. Not exciting. Good luck to you though in your possible move.
Old 08-03-2007, 01:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BlueThunder2
I just got back from inspecting a Marine Unit up there. I would NOT want to be stationed there. Unless, you only enjoy Desert toys (i.e. Dirt bikes, ATV's, etc.) The mornings are beautiful. Great time to go running. The golf course on the base is nice. Lancaster is nearest town that has anything to do. Lots of motocross tracks though. That's about it. Not exciting. Good luck to you though in your possible move.

raced dirtbike and rode atvs all my life...no sounding bad..

i could care less about mon - fri

from what i see its nice central location..lil bit your in LA lil bit the other way your at big bear lake...

dunno anyone live around there?? like to ask some questions

i currently live in pittburgh pa..nice town but not like im living in the tourest capital of the world now
Old 08-03-2007, 01:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

A buddy of mine lives in Palmdale and his wife works at Edwards. He will be there soon as he accepted a position there to work closer to home. I think Palmdale is about 30 min away from the base. Its a nice city. It does get hot. This is another city you might consider. From what I hear it's a little better than Lancaster.
Old 08-03-2007, 05:45 PM
TECH Addict

Lived there for 14yrs+. Palmdale is the city with the most to do (water park, mall, brand new theatre, all major restaurants, etc.). Rosemond has Willowsprings, Tehachepe gets really windy and snows alot. Quartz hills has mini mansions everywhere (best parties you will EVER go to), Lancaster is really GHETTO, ALOT of open streets to race on (shoot me a PM for details). California city has skydiving and **** like that, plus you will be less than two hours from the beaches. Santa monica, Venice, etc.

Edwards is ok just be prepared for 114+ degree heat, IN THE SHADE. Oh and sub 24 degree temps at night. Mind you this can happen in the same day/night. Other that that the DUST is horrible.

Best place to live would be West Palmdale/Quartz Hills. You are within good driving distance of EVERYTHING out there. Yeah about 25-35 mins from EAFB. 14 freeway has a 70+ speed limit North of lancaster.
Old 08-03-2007, 06:01 PM
On The Tree

Its not that bad of a place if you can deal with the heat. I know back east there is a lot of humidity and theres hardly any out here. So its really not that bad if you dont mind the desert. I live about 30-40 minutes away, and youre close to a lot. Thats whats nice about california, nice weather all year long, and within a two to three hour drive from the mountains, desert, lakes, beaches, vegas. All great places to go.
Old 08-03-2007, 06:02 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by djsanchez2
Lived there for 14yrs+. Palmdale is the city with the most to do (water park, mall, brand new theatre, all major restaurants, etc.). Rosemond has Willowsprings, Tehachepe gets really windy and snows alot. Quartz hills has mini mansions everywhere (best parties you will EVER go to), Lancaster is really GHETTO, ALOT of open streets to race on (shoot me a PM for details). California city has skydiving and **** like that, plus you will be less than two hours from the beaches. Santa monica, Venice, etc.

Edwards is ok just be prepared for 114+ degree heat, IN THE SHADE. Oh and sub 24 degree temps at night. Mind you this can happen in the same day/night. Other that that the DUST is horrible.

Best place to live would be West Palmdale/Quartz Hills. You are within good driving distance of EVERYTHING out there. Yeah about 25-35 mins from EAFB. 14 freeway has a 70+ speed limit North of lancaster.
Whats up sanchez, when are you gonna come to the high desert and let me run you? Later
Old 08-04-2007, 12:59 AM
TECH Addict

Where were you again? Victorville?
Old 08-05-2007, 10:31 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by djsanchez2
Where were you again? Victorville?
Yea. I went to the ROTW cruise yesterday and the bumblebee car was there. It was the tightest thing I have ever seen. I am gonna buy one.
Old 08-27-2007, 01:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

thanks guys for the info

still waiting for the list to be sent to see if i got the job...

like i said this would be a big promotion jump for me and not something im looking at staying for ever a few years to then make another jump up higher

anyone know of any good townhome rental websites to look at?

Quick Reply: Advice from Edwards AFB Lancaster CA area