Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

How to keep car cool in Phoenix AZ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2007, 09:01 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to keep car cool in Phoenix AZ?

For you people who live here you know why I am asking. I had a 93 LT1 Trans w/ a four core be cool rad with SLP fan switch, still ran a little warm for my liking. Now I have a 98 LS1 and was just wondering if anyone found a combo that works good. Was wondering if an oil cooler would help out.
Thanks for your answers.
Old 08-20-2007, 01:17 AM
11 Second Club

best advise i can give is 160* thermostat, good water pump and radiator. My last car had all new parts and ran under 200* unless i was in bumper to bumper traffic. You cant ask for any better than that in the summer time here. Oil cooler and a tranny cooler sure wont hurt. I hope that helps you.
Old 08-20-2007, 09:36 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the info, any suggestions on water pumps? Not sure about electric water pumps.
Old 08-20-2007, 10:04 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Before I moved here I was REALLY worried about my stock cooling system being enough for the Phoenix heat... guess it was fate that a week before I moved my radiator blew a crack and started spewing coolant everywhere... Some say I went overkill but I'm the one with the piece of mind so... I went with the BE COOL #60028 radiator and it's a FINE piece of hardware! I also went with a 160 T-Stat, added some water wetter, and got my fans tuned.... since then overheating has been a thing of the past... Excellent quality radiator! My only complaint is since my fan tune, my engine bay gets dusty really quick

Here's some comparison photos of the Be Cool vs. Stock radiators...

Old 08-20-2007, 03:45 PM
Teching In

Soul TKR, your ride is nice. I put a becool in my 1993 I had, was putting your current ride a pain?
Old 08-20-2007, 08:39 PM
TECH Resident

Your engine bay gets dusty because you live in the desert.
Old 08-20-2007, 09:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 19blackta98
Soul TKR, your ride is nice. I put a becool in my 1993 I had, was putting your current ride a pain?
no, it was pretty easy and straight forward... and i'm by no means a mechanic... did it in my garage by myself one evening...

Originally Posted by RedXtacy
Your engine bay gets dusty because you live in the desert.
I'm sure that's an added effect to it, but ask around and many people will tell you if/since they have had their fans tuned and they turn on at a lower temp then they pretty much run most of the time creating much more of a dust blanket on top of your engine...

Quick Reply: How to keep car cool in Phoenix AZ?