Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Whos running longtubes in Cali?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 03:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Whos running longtubes in Cali?

Ok, so I said screw it an ordered a set of LTs. Who else is running LTs here in Cali? Anyone ever been caught/ticketed by the cops? I'm not worried about the smog stations failing me, just getting cited by the cops is all I worry about. Also, what happens/happened if you do/did get caught?
Old 10-02-2007, 03:48 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Been runnin em' for a few months now. Just got mini cats put on yesterday. I figured i was pushin my luck as i've been pulled over a few times w/o cats. They never bother to look though, too lazy to look under a lowered car i guess.
Only time they ever attracted attention was on a "race" night. Other than that i would'nt worry bout it. All they do is send you to a smog ref. when you get found out anyways. Then just swap them out or throw on cats before you go. $70 ref fee is better than a $2000 no cats ticket.
Old 10-02-2007, 03:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by djsanchez2
Been runnin em' for a few months now. Just got mini cats put on yesterday. I figured i was pushin my luck as i've been pulled over a few times w/o cats. They never bother to look though, too lazy to look under a lowered car i guess.
Only time they ever attracted attention was on a "race" night. Other than that i would'nt worry bout it. All they do is send you to a smog ref. when you get found out anyways. Then just swap them out or throw on cats before you go. $70 ref fee is better than a $2000 no cats ticket.
That's what I was thinking, I just wasn't sure if the cop would write the no cats ticket or the Ref would. Anyone else?
Old 10-02-2007, 04:22 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been running longtubes for over a year and a half already. However, I have been pulled over 11 times since they were installed. Cops didnt actually look under the car and asked about the cats though, so take that for what it's worth.

A lot of my friends have longtubes, and none of them have been asked about cats.
Old 10-02-2007, 04:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DaGeneral
I've been running longtubes for over a year and a half already. However, I have been pulled over 11 times since they were installed. Cops didnt actually look under the car and asked about the cats though, so take that for what it's worth.

A lot of my friends have longtubes, and none of them have been asked about cats.
Nice!!! I'll be running an ORY for a little while but I'll get a catted Y realitively soon. I'm thinkin'g I'll run the ORY until I get caught and then put the catted Y on, not sure though.
Old 10-02-2007, 04:35 PM
TECH Regular

Been running long tubes for a while also....never got hassled by cops and not to mention been pulled over lots of times and asked to pop my hood open twice.
Old 10-02-2007, 04:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GinoLS1
Been running long tubes for a while also....never got hassled by cops and not to mention been pulled over lots of times and asked to pop my hood open twice.
Wierd, what the hell were they looking for when they made you pop the hood, if not headers? Or was the cop just wanting to get a look at a badass LS1?
Old 10-02-2007, 04:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hey would it be worth it to get FRC's to make it harder to see the LTs?
Old 10-02-2007, 04:53 PM
Banned Village Idiot

i been running LT for about a few months now... i also have a cut out open all the time!!! Louder than a MO FO hahaha i hope i don't get pulled over on my way home nowww
Old 10-02-2007, 05:46 PM
Teching In

ive had long tubes for about 2 years and no problems yet!!
Old 10-02-2007, 05:52 PM
TECH Regular

I've been running them for a while. I even been told by a cop that my engine was stock after me crapping on myself after he popped my hood, so I think you're pretty safe until you run into a guy who really knows his stuff.
Old 10-02-2007, 05:55 PM
Launching!

Had lt's for bout a month and got pulled over the first night out popped hood and everything got off with a fix it ticket.
Old 10-02-2007, 06:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I ordered the cutout as well, but I think I'll probably only open it when I'm at the track. All though, I think it might get addictive.
Old 10-02-2007, 06:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

I had mine on for a little under three months with TSP duals; never once got pulled over. Got plenty of looks during the summer, though!

I say "had" because I'm currently in LA for school so my car sits in the garage at home.
Old 10-02-2007, 06:28 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by z28ss4me
Wierd, what the hell were they looking for when they made you pop the hood, if not headers? Or was the cop just wanting to get a look at a badass LS1?
I dont think Fuel Rail Covers would hide LT's soo much...
Old 10-02-2007, 06:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Da Swami
I had mine on for a little under three months with TSP duals; never once got pulled over. Got plenty of looks during the summer, though!

I say "had" because I'm currently in LA for school so my car sits in the garage at home.
Ok, I'm officially starting to get excted about gettin' these on the car! I was abit nervous about getting nailed but everyone posting up with their experience is really starting to allay e fears!! Keep um coming, has anyone really ever been hosed big time?
Old 10-02-2007, 07:24 PM
9 Second Club

lets see i have them on both cars and have not even been messed with once! i used to run the ms3 with longubtes and an opne cutout all the time for about 6 months and was not pulled over once!

if u dont mess around and are required to get pulled over u will be fine! just dont direct attention to ur self! i know of over 20 guys with longtubes and i know if 1 getting in trouble for it and got sent to the ref. he just put the manifolds back on and was good to go!
Old 10-02-2007, 07:34 PM
On The Tree

Personally I think that the FRC's would help pull some of the attention away from the LT's but thats just my opinion. Plus a cop is really going to have to know what he is looking for to find out when they pop the hood. Its not like F-body's have a ton of room in between the shock tower and the motor. Hell if you want make a bracket and cover the LT's with a bare piece of metal(looking like heat shielding) when it rusts it will give the look of our stock manifolds. may look like crap but possibly get you pass the cops on the street. Yes I know that ghetto but hey if its removable in 5-10 min. I would do it so I didnt get hassled with.
Old 10-02-2007, 08:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by camscam02
lets see i have them on both cars and have not even been messed with once! i used to run the ms3 with longubtes and an opne cutout all the time for about 6 months and was not pulled over once!

if u dont mess around and are required to get pulled over u will be fine! just dont direct attention to ur self! i know of over 20 guys with longtubes and i know if 1 getting in trouble for it and got sent to the ref. he just put the manifolds back on and was good to go!
Awesome about just getting sent to ref. I'm keeping all my stock parts just in case, so I'll be prepared for that. As far not acting up, that'll be tough, but I'll try.
Old 10-03-2007, 01:10 AM
Launching!

i have Hooker LTs and i havnt had any issues. tho i do still have cats.

Quick Reply: Whos running longtubes in Cali?