Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

California guys, need your advice.

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2007, 10:00 PM
Mid
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation California guys, need your advice.

Whats up guys,

I've always wanted to be a LEO, and I've always loved visiting California. So I was thinking of trying to get into the CHP...

Questions:

How hard is it to get accepted? And how long will it take?
Are any of you in here CHP? Any advice?
How is living in California(I'm interested in SoCal/OC area) on a day to day basis?

I looked at their website, and I meet the requirements(Except for age, but not for long). How many people are they looking to hire?

Background info on me: I'm a 19 year old guy living in Long Island NY, majoring in criminal justice. Will graduate with an associates in summer or fall.

Any advice is appreciated,
thanks
Old 12-31-2007, 11:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I heard its not hard to be chp but living in oc rent is pretty expensive if u want ur own house now that's really expensive and I'm sure u wouldn't wanna live in the cheaper parts of santa ana.
Old 12-31-2007, 11:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

But other than that oc is a bad *** place to live fine hos everywhere!
Old 12-31-2007, 11:31 PM
Mid
On The Tree

oh yeah I'm already used to paying good $$ for anything, just like NY.

I just hope it's not as competitive as in LI, so I can get in.
Old 01-01-2008, 01:05 AM
On The Tree

i go to chaffey college and already got my certificate for criminal justice..just finishing my general ed so i can get my AA and also transfer..i just turned 20 by the way but im not headed towards the chp .. im leaning more towards lapd..i've talk to many recruites that come to our campus and they caught my attention the most..anyways ever thought about living in the I.E..we got some pretty good areas
Old 01-01-2008, 04:46 AM

It's not that hard to get in,But you will hate calli big time too many damm laws.
Old 01-01-2008, 09:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

what's the last number of your SSN#?
Old 01-01-2008, 09:50 AM
Mid
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Tom's_03SVT
what's the last number of your SSN#?

why?

i go to chaffey college and already got my certificate for criminal justice..just finishing my general ed so i can get my AA and also transfer..i just turned 20 by the way but im not headed towards the chp .. im leaning more towards lapd..i've talk to many recruites that come to our campus and they caught my attention the most..anyways ever thought about living in the I.E..we got some pretty good areas
why LAPD? I prefer the suburbs over city.

t's not that hard to get in,But you will hate calli big time too many damm laws.
whats so bad about the laws? I just won't do anything dumb and I'll be fine.
Old 01-01-2008, 12:04 PM
On The Tree

not hard to get in huh? those of you that responded; who is actually working for chp?
Old 01-01-2008, 01:40 PM
Mid
On The Tree

Originally Posted by MaroonLS1
not hard to get in huh? those of you that responded; who is actually working for chp?
CHP = very competitive to get in from what I hear.
Old 01-01-2008, 02:22 PM
On The Tree

My brother, cousin and sister in law have all been or are CHP. It's a fantastic decent paying job with great benefits. The academy is only months if I recall. Not hard to get accepted
either. Definitely easier than other law enforcement in California. The pay scale is the same no matter where you live in Cal so in some communities you can live like a king.
Old 01-01-2008, 10:03 PM
On The Tree

Ok here is the real deal! CHP is a great paying state job that gives you great benifits! The Academy is about six months in Sacramento, CA. I dont like CHP because they still give fellow officers tickets! But If I were you I would join the Sheriffs Dept. in IE PM me for more info.
Old 01-01-2008, 10:22 PM
FormerVendor

CopSS is right, I had a friend finish the Acadamy and in his first 2 weeks almost got hit twice and quit (what a waste) But there are plently of Dept's that hire so you get in get trained and you can always transfer in a couple of years if you really want to be a freeway metermaid.

As far as hard, I have heard Torrance is one of the hardest around here and I finished in the top 10% (without much effort) out of their largest group that ever tested for them (you need to be in the top 5%). When they asked how my Wife would feel about me working every long weekend and Holiday I realized, No Thanks. I did it for kicks curiousity and to get a raise from my boss

Also Military experience is huge! it will easliy bump you into the next group up (add 7-10% to your overall score). So you join the Guard and after basic training you can present your DD214 and easily puts you way ahead of the competition. Then it is only one weekend a month, 1 year in Iraq But you come back with a butt load of money saved.
Old 01-02-2008, 01:39 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by COPSS
Ok here is the real deal! CHP is a great paying state job that gives you great benifits! The Academy is about six months in Sacramento, CA. I dont like CHP because they still give fellow officers tickets! But If I were you I would join the Sheriffs Dept. in IE PM me for more info.
thats why police officers dont like them..by the way some say CHP stands for ..cant handle patrol lol.. but the chp is a great job/career..im just leaning towards the LAPD..my professor is a retire lt. for the sherrif department ..he's really helped me out alot...by the way copss where in the I.E you located?
Old 01-02-2008, 01:52 AM
Launching!

Getting accepted is the easy part. It is six months long and you better have your **** together cause its a one time thing. If you fail a test or can't do the required driving, or able to write extensive reports, or shoot well, you will have one make-up chance to get it right, then you will flunk out. Pay starts at about 70k. You will be station wherever you are needed until you get seniority. Good luck, they are understaffed right now.
Old 01-02-2008, 09:31 AM
Mid
On The Tree

Originally Posted by jims73z
My brother, cousin and sister in law have all been or are CHP. It's a fantastic decent paying job with great benefits. The academy is only months if I recall. Not hard to get accepted
either. Definitely easier than other law enforcement in California. The pay scale is the same no matter where you live in Cal so in some communities you can live like a king.
Not hard to get accepted? Are you sure? I heard it's competitive.
Originally Posted by COPSS
Will send PM

Originally Posted by Stroker396
CopSS is right, I had a friend finish the Acadamy and in his first 2 weeks almost got hit twice and quit (what a waste) But there are plently of Dept's that hire so you get in get trained and you can always transfer in a couple of years if you really want to be a freeway metermaid.

As far as hard, I have heard Torrance is one of the hardest around here and I finished in the top 10% (without much effort) out of their largest group that ever tested for them (you need to be in the top 5%). When they asked how my Wife would feel about me working every long weekend and Holiday I realized, No Thanks. I did it for kicks curiousity and to get a raise from my boss

Also Military experience is huge! it will easliy bump you into the next group up (add 7-10% to your overall score). So you join the Guard and after basic training you can present your DD214 and easily puts you way ahead of the competition. Then it is only one weekend a month, 1 year in Iraq But you come back with a butt load of money saved.
Hm, I still haven't decided if I want to do military or not. If possible, I'd like to be a cop asap.

Originally Posted by Snowman2K1
thats why police officers dont like them..by the way some say CHP stands for ..cant handle patrol lol.. but the chp is a great job/career..im just leaning towards the LAPD..my professor is a retire lt. for the sherrif department ..he's really helped me out alot...by the way copss where in the I.E you located?
I'd prefer state over city, in my opinion.

Originally Posted by nz12's
Getting accepted is the easy part. It is six months long and you better have your **** together cause its a one time thing. If you fail a test or can't do the required driving, or able to write extensive reports, or shoot well, you will have one make-up chance to get it right, then you will flunk out. Pay starts at about 70k. You will be station wherever you are needed until you get seniority. Good luck, they are understaffed right now.
Understaffed? So that means I have a better chance of getting in?
Old 01-03-2008, 01:05 AM
Launching!

Wink understaffed

yes, you see billboards out here advertising for Chp officers! Does that tell you anything????????????
good luck, if you make it just ignore that turbo camaro with the hockey stripes. hahahha
Old 01-03-2008, 01:42 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just realized LEO is LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICER...

I'm like, "Why's this homo wish he was born in July/August !?!"
Old 01-03-2008, 12:51 PM
On The Tree

Check out CA POST Website http://www.post.ca.gov
Look under LE job Opportunities for agencies that are hiring.
Old 01-03-2008, 12:53 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 6LITEREATER
I just realized LEO is LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICER...

I'm like, "Why's this homo wish he was born in July/August !?!"
LMFAO!

Quick Reply: California guys, need your advice.