Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Pendleton Area Members BEWARE!

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 02:11 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Pendleton Area Members BEWARE!

Just wanted to give you all a heads up. I will repost about this often as I remember to keep this near the top so everyone is aware.
If you live in the Camp Pendleton area (Oceanside, Vista, Carlsbad, Temecula), stay away from CLUTCHWORKS in Vista, CA. It is on Melrose over by a lot of the car shops. The guy who owns it is a piece of crap and will rip you off, do shoddy work, misquote you, or do anything he can think of to rip you off. I had a very bad experience, and I suggest you stay away.
I went in to him because I blew my clutch on my 95 Z28 Camaro. I had to because I did not have the tools to reach the last bolts above the bell housing. This was before I knew that you could just unscrew the subframe bolts and tilt it down enough to do it myself. Such is life, I was pissed, but didn't mind terribly. He told me he had to drop the engine to do it, and charged me accordingly, over $800. Then about 2 days after I got the car back, it died on me on the expressway all the way up in San Clemente. Since I figured he screwed it up, I towed it to his shop to get fixed.
When I called him, now he claimed he DID NOT drop the engine, after my friend and I both heard him say he did, and there was no way he could have screwed it up. All the sudden, the car with only 52,000 miles and wires that were freyed and needed to be replaced, and that it was not going to work without it. I told him while he was at it that he could go ahead and replace the plugs. All this cost me another $800.
STAY AWAY FROM CLUTCHWORKS!!!! The guy there is a piece of crap! He will do anything he can to rip you off, and then he will talk to you like he did you a favor. He is a lying, cheating bastard.
Old 01-31-2008, 02:18 PM
TECH Resident

thanks for the heads up good thing LS1tech has lots of good sponsers from california (SPmotorsports, CMS, etc.)
Old 01-31-2008, 02:30 PM
Teching In

You should also go to base legal to have them blacklisted. Then they become an off-limits area to all active duty personel.

Sidenote. Why didn't you take it to the hobbyshop? They have all the tools there that you would need.
Old 01-31-2008, 02:36 PM
TECH Regular

I did take it to the base hobby shop, and we couldn't get the last 2 bolts above the bell housing.... I did not have enough faith in thier drops to feel safe that it would be able to hold the engine.
And we are working to get them put on the "Do Not Visit Establishments" or something like that.
Old 01-31-2008, 02:59 PM
Teching In

Not even with the extensions and a u joint? Well, good looking out. Even though I don't live there no more, I'll help spread the word to my buddies that are still over there.
Old 01-31-2008, 03:02 PM
TECH Regular

oh my god man. that's disgusting. im so sorry. Small Claims Court FTW?
Old 01-31-2008, 03:06 PM
TECH Regular

problem is that I can't really prove anything. It's me and my buddy's word against his. I also filed a complaint with the better business bureu, but that really doesn't do anything. It is just a listing if you think to check up on it.
No punitive power behind the BBB.
Old 02-01-2008, 12:01 PM
TECH Regular

I am going to do a shameless bump... there I did it.
Moderators, can you make this a sticky?

Last edited by lt1 hawk; 02-01-2008 at 12:40 PM.