Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Knock Sensor check engine light....

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 10:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Knock Sensor check engine light....

Just went off, and I happen to wash my engine like last week, so im guessing this caused it?

Is there a difference between the knock sensors? (autozone, kragen, napa, dealer) or are they all the same thing? Probably going to replace it today... I read they are both under the intake.
Old 04-04-2008, 11:40 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yup both knock sensors are under the intake manifold screwed into the valley cover, once you pop the intake off you can't miss them. Make sure that you replace both of them. Trust me on this one... I had one go bad, went in there and replaced the rear one that was completely coroded just to have the front one that still looked new go bad 3 weeks later. Doh!
You might as well replace the wire harness while you are in there as well.

I used GM replacements:
(2) 12589867 - Sensors
(1) 12601822 - Wire Harness

FYI: It would also be a great time to convert your PCV system to the LS6 version (valley cover) if you haven't done so already.
Old 04-04-2008, 11:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BlackHawk
Yup both knock sensors are under the intake manifold screwed into the valley cover, once you pop the intake off you can't miss them. Make sure that you replace both of them. Trust me on this one... I had one go bad, went in there and replaced the rear one that was completely coroded just to have the front one that still looked new go bad 3 weeks later. Doh!
You might as well replace the wire harness while you are in there as well.

I used GM replacements:
(2) 12589867 - Sensors
(1) 12601822 - Wire Harness

FYI: It would also be a great time to convert your PCV system to the LS6 version (valley cover) if you haven't done so already.
how do i go about that? If i already have the ls6 intake does that mean the mod is already done? thanks bud
Old 04-04-2008, 12:16 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's all the info for the LS6 PCV conversion:
http://www.ls1howto.com/index.php?article=18
It's not part of your intake manifold, it's the valley cover under the intake manifold that the knock sensors screw into that is different.
It's supposed to be a much better PCV system than the LS1 version.
Hope this helps!
Old 04-04-2008, 01:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

interesting ! im going to call dealer and find out how much the pcv conversion is, is this much better than a catch can? or similar?

Quick Reply: Knock Sensor check engine light....