Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Any good detail people/ shops around San Diego?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2008, 12:45 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any good detail people/ shops around San Diego?

I recently had my car painted, and it suffers from some moderate orange peel. I know how to wet sand/buff and all that, but I've never actually done it before so I'm a little hesitant. I do have an old hood out back tho..

I'm wondering if anyone knows anyone who does this kinda of work?

There is a shop I found on the net that about 45 minutes north of Fresno, but man what a drive. http://www.glossycar.com/

Somewhere on there they claim to do a whole C5 vette for 900.00! And the pictures they show look pretty amazing too.

Anyways, anyone have a referece?
Old 05-10-2008, 02:22 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Heres a link to my buddies 2000 SS I did
http://www.z28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=96674

And here is a link of my Z28 and my dads Vette I did about two weeks ago
http://www.z28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=120441
Old 05-10-2008, 02:42 PM
On The Tree

those cars look great man, especially that vette, holy ****! Do you have experience wet sanding? Thats really what I'm looking for more than a detail, it seemed like those two links were just wash/wax type stuff.
Old 05-10-2008, 03:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sketterman
those cars look great man, especially that vette, holy ****! Do you have experience wet sanding? Thats really what I'm looking for more than a detail, it seemed like those two links were just wash/wax type stuff.
ive been looking for a wet sander fo rmy paint job too... but 900 is more than I paid for my paint job ! hahaah
Old 05-10-2008, 03:31 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by eddielb
ive been looking for a wet sander fo rmy paint job too... but 900 is more than I paid for my paint job ! hahaah
heh..900 is about what I paid for the paint :-) They didn't do anything other than that tho..just prep and paint. I'm considering doing it myself, I just gotta find the time because the TA is my daily driver so I have to start/stop without having to go to work.
Old 05-10-2008, 04:36 PM
Banned

how much do you charge for a full claybar and detail?
Old 05-10-2008, 04:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

heh..900 is about what I paid for the paint :-) They didn't do anything other than that tho..just prep and paint. I'm considering doing it myself, I just gotta find the time because the TA is my daily driver so I have to start/stop without having to go to work.
got pics of the paint job? mine was suprisinly very good for the 600 bucks I paid. looks real good... very little orange peel but I know it will look much better wet sanded.. I just have no clue where to start and id rather a pro do it
Old 05-10-2008, 05:46 PM
On The Tree

got pics of the paint job? mine was suprisinly very good for the 600 bucks I paid. looks real good... very little orange peel but I know it will look much better wet sanded.. I just have no clue where to start and id rather a pro do it
Here are a few pics, cant really see the orange peel TOO much, my camera is just a point and shoot, but up close its obvious.

here you can see it best on the side skirt and also on the door as you look toward the rear.

here is is really obvious

notice it in the reflection of the fence...very rough, not like glass at all

again in the fence reflection

you can sorta see it in the wing here

Like I said, my camera sucks a lot so its hard to get a feel for it, but its definatly there on the entire car.
Old 05-10-2008, 05:50 PM
On The Tree

oh and another thing, just do a google search for "wet sanding" and you can find a TON of info on how to do it, what materials are needed and stuff, especially from the Meguiars forums. Also, you can see some excellent how-to's on Youtube by searching for the same thing. The mistake I made was getting the car painted and buying a porter cable BEFORE I did the research and realized that I need a rotary to buff it out after sanding. If you DO decide to do it yourself, just make sure you do plenty of research. Lots of websites will suggest practice. Lots and lots of practice, on old body panels you may have lying around or from junkyards.
Old 05-11-2008, 03:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i have an old hood so if anything ill do it on that first...
Old 05-11-2008, 09:06 AM
On The Tree

i have an old hood so if anything ill do it on that first...
thats a good idea, I'll be doing the same thing with my old factory hood. Only thing that sucks is the old hood doesnt have any orange peel whatsoever so I won't be able to practice actually removing it, but just get a feel for the wet sanding/rotary buffing
Old 05-11-2008, 08:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

thats a good idea, I'll be doing the same thing with my old factory hood. Only thing that sucks is the old hood doesnt have any orange peel whatsoever so I won't be able to practice actually removing it, but just get a feel for the wet sanding/rotary buffing
Oh really? my factory hood had just aboutas much orange peel as my paint job does... a little less than your pictures show, but some areas of my paint job look identical to your pictures as well - guess we'll see... ill start watching some vids.. just scary to do something like sanding a car !
Old 05-11-2008, 09:53 PM
On The Tree

Oh really? my factory hood had just aboutas much orange peel as my paint job does... a little less than your pictures show, but some areas of my paint job look identical to your pictures as well - guess we'll see... ill start watching some vids.. just scary to do something like sanding a car !
Yep. My factory paint was REALLY good. Well, sorta. Quality wise, it was like glass when it was detailed. No orange peel at all, or at least so little amount that I couldnt even tell. I had my car repainted because one day while washing the car, I was rinsing the soap off the hood and a HUGE 'flake' of paint just flew right off! It was about the size of a cinder block! I was pissed. Then the same thing happened under the passenger sail panel. I was gonna have those panels repainted but then I was backing out of the driveway and I smashed my passenger fender on the wall around the driveway (it was early). That was it so I just had the whole thing repainted, but yea now I'm stuck with all this orange peel.

Sanding the car is scary at first but once you see a couple how-tos I think you'll feel a lot more comfortable.

Quick Reply: Any good detail people/ shops around San Diego?