Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Window Tint ticket - AZ (Phoenix)

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 07:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Window Tint ticket - AZ (Phoenix)

Question - So I got pulled over for a window tint violation, I guess my tints is too dark.. Never had a problem in over 4 years of being here on this or my other car.

The cop gave me a ticket with a court date. However, he couldn't even tell me (because he didn't know) what violation code it was nor what the fine would be. He said to contact the court? WTF.

Anyone had this happen? I think this is total bullshit and I'm trying to figure out how much I'm likely to have to pay.
Old 06-12-2008, 08:37 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Finite1
Question - So I got pulled over for a window tint violation, I guess my tints is too dark.. Never had a problem in over 4 years of being here on this or my other car.

The cop gave me a ticket with a court date. However, he couldn't even tell me (because he didn't know) what violation code it was nor what the fine would be. He said to contact the court? WTF.

Anyone had this happen? I think this is total bullshit and I'm trying to figure out how much I'm likely to have to pay.
well, when I got my ticket back in CA it was cheaper for me to just pull the tint off, get the ticket signed off, pay the $10 fix-it-ticket, and then drive straight back to the tint shop and get the tint put back on for $60

otherwise for me to keep it on, they wanted me to pay like $170 for it

cheaper just to go through the motions...
Old 06-12-2008, 09:05 PM
On The Tree

They used to dismiss tickets if the appropriate violation code was not on the citation... not sure if you would still be that lucky though.
Old 06-12-2008, 09:11 PM
On The Tree

i've gotten many here in southern ca and the fine for me has always been $90.

i would get the ticket and have the date extended out a few times...i think 6 months is the max...that way i could drive around w/o worrying about getting ticketed for it again. then i would send in a check for 90 and poof, all clear.

it might have gone up since the last time i've done this...been about 3 years. thankfully i haven't been pulled over for my tint in a loooong time.
Old 06-12-2008, 10:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah I mean I haven't been even notified of this ever before and I've been pulled over for speeding god knows how many times.

The law keeps ******* me over. I got two speeding tickets and now this tint violation ****. I'm sitting there going god damn 65 with the cruise on and I can't catch a ******* break.

It was like 225 or so when I got them put on, I figure it's cheaper for me just to pay the ******* fine than strip it off.. not to mention thats a waste of time and energy + a PITA. 4 years no problems til today.. Cops just can't stop being ********.
Old 06-12-2008, 10:31 PM
Dan
11 Second Club

I thought it was legal in AZ to have tint all the way around?
Old 06-12-2008, 10:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Apparently not. Everyone and their mom has tints in this desert. Now they throw this at me.
Old 06-12-2008, 10:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

That sucks man, I am in Arizona for work and all of our Arizona trucks have tint all the way around. Since im from California I cant have tint and its killin me.
Old 06-12-2008, 10:52 PM
12 Second Club

As far as I know you can have limo on the back window and the back passenger windows (like on SUVs or Trucks or Sedans) but the front windows must allow more than 33% of light in and the windshield can only have a visor. But they don't require any sticker that says whether or not your tint is legal... so I don't know how they can ticket you for that.
Old 06-12-2008, 11:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm thinking of asking/looking around here for someone with a SOM Trans Am with no tint and stock wheels to take a picture of their car, i'll print it here and then bring it to court.

I think it could work.
Old 06-12-2008, 11:53 PM
12 Second Club

yea just make sure the car looks the same in all the other aspects other then the tint and that could work well for you.
Old 06-13-2008, 01:27 AM
Now you have my attention

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

******* gay. Gotta love the power mad cops around here.
Old 06-13-2008, 09:02 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Viscious
******* gay. Gotta love the power mad cops around here.
SOOOOOOO true man seriously every time i have gotten pulled over its some chubby D-bag who probably got picked on and made fun of in highschool and wants to give me every ticket known to man just because i look young (and just for everyone sticking up for cops i honestly kiss their asses and yes sir and no sir them to death and they still end up effin me over)
Old 06-13-2008, 10:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah this guy was definately a douchebag. "Usually I give warnings for this, but I keep seeing them crumpled into the glove box and not acted on, so I'm gonna go ahead and give you a ticket"

**** you you piece of ****

I called it's $110 bucks.. what a waste.
Old 06-13-2008, 10:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

i got pulled over in tuscon for my tint being too dark. They had this little machine that slipped over my window and told him what % tint i had. If they didnt do that for you, i'd imagine that could be something you could use to get your ticket dismissed.
Old 06-13-2008, 10:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

He did that with the little device. My tint only got like 9% of light in.

Solar Guard <-- Good stuff
Old 06-13-2008, 01:30 PM
Now you have my attention

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

******* sweet, I definitely need some.. I don't like the sun anyway.
Old 06-13-2008, 08:57 PM
Staging Lane

Believe me I feel your pain. I was pulled over by Phoenix's finest for dropping a cigarette butt out the window. First time I've been pulled over in 14 years. I know I shouldn't have done that and smoking is a bad habit yadda yadda yadda. I think what I did and you being pulled over for tint is something Arizona law enforcement does on purpose. They do this in hopes of finding dope in your car, no insurance, find you have a warrant, the list goes on and on. Tryin' to catch ya ridin' dirty!

We live in one of the hottest climates on Earth. God forbid you have window tint in hopes of making your car a little more liveable. I know several officers in Phoenix Police traffic enforcement (motorcycle officers) and they tell me the city is supposed to have provided them with a some sort of tool to gauge what kind of window tint is on your car. The city has not provided this to all its officers yet. Having limo tint on the front drivers side and front passenger side is illegal. The law in Arizona doesn't care if you have limo tint on the rear window or rear drivers or rear passengers. Figure that one out! If you have limo tint on the front drivers and front passenger windows just get it taken off and redone to legal which I believe is 30%? What is too dark is open to interpretation. But I prefer to not even give these jerkoffs a reason to pull you over. I now have quit smoking.
Old 06-13-2008, 11:00 PM
TECH Resident

STATE FRONT SIDES BACWINDOW VISOR NET/FILM
AZ 33% ANY% ANY% AS1 NET

http://www.tintdude.com/atoh.html

Two tickets in one month the third was on the freeway and i asked the CHP if i could just rip it off right there and he said goahed this last time i went with 35% when you get three tint tickets here in cali they slap you with a 400$ fine
Old 06-14-2008, 12:32 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Here is another site for reference.
http://www.tintlaws.com/

Quick Reply: Window Tint ticket - AZ (Phoenix)