Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Returning my computer to stock before update at shop???

Old 07-14-2008, 10:29 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Returning my computer to stock before update at shop???

Getting some new cats put in this coming weekend. The tech/owner said that after he installs the new cats he will flash and update the computer, I'm guessing he means the PCM. Now I've done some reprogramming with my hypertech programmer. Does this mean that I have to set the computer back to original?? Can I still use my programmer after the computer has been flashed and updated?? Why should the computer be flashed and/or updated anyway?? I don't remember which cats, though Thanks for the help
Old 07-14-2008, 10:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Just tell him not to flash it.
Old 07-14-2008, 10:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chevystyle
Getting some new cats put in this coming weekend. The tech/owner said that after he installs the new cats he will flash and update the computer, I'm guessing he means the PCM. Now I've done some reprogramming with my hypertech programmer. Does this mean that I have to set the computer back to original?? Can I still use my programmer after the computer has been flashed and updated?? Why should the computer be flashed and/or updated anyway?? I don't remember which cats, though Thanks for the help
What is he going to change? That would be my question. Is he gonna mess with the tune or just turn on the rear O2s? Maybe he means he will clear any codes you have?

You should be able to use your hypertech unless he locks the PCM, but again, I would find out what he plans on changing.
Old 07-14-2008, 10:55 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BigDaddyBry
What is he going to change? That would be my question. Is he gonna mess with the tune or just turn on the rear O2s? Maybe he means he will clear any codes you have?

You should be able to use your hypertech unless he locks the PCM, but again, I would find out what he plans on changing.
He didn't say. Just that he is going to flash and update the computer. Right now, I just have rear 02 sims and he knows that, too.
Old 07-14-2008, 01:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

There may be an update to the PCM that his car may need. I remember hearing that the dealer would do this on certain years. Anyways the hypertech tune sucks, Just return the tune to stock before and after the update put back the hypertech if you want
Old 07-14-2008, 01:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 00SSLS1
There may be an update to the PCM that his car may need. I remember hearing that the dealer would do this on certain years. Anyways the hypertech tune sucks, Just return the tune to stock before and after the update put back the hypertech if you want
I don't think he's going to the dealer. I read "tech/owner" so I think he is dealing with a shop.
Old 07-14-2008, 01:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by chevystyle
He didn't say. Just that he is going to flash and update the computer. Right now, I just have rear 02 sims and he knows that, too.
Find out man, why not ask? Lack of communication between you and your mechanic will lead to problems.

I'm thinking he's just gonna turn on your rear O2s now that you have cats.
Old 07-14-2008, 02:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by BigDaddyBry
I don't think he's going to the dealer. I read "tech/owner" so I think he is dealing with a shop.
I missed that part, but I think you're right
Old 07-14-2008, 02:59 PM
TECH Addict

i bet he figured you were throwing codes with no cats so he is going to clear them after the install.
Old 07-14-2008, 08:20 PM
Dan
11 Second Club

Just put the tune back to stock..If he flashes the PCM your programmer is worthless, It's worthless anyway, but you know what I mean...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Returning my computer to stock before update at shop???