Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Paying taxes when selling a car over $10k

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 08:06 PM
EkS
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Paying taxes when selling a car over $10k

How much is the tax when you receive over $10k for your car? Anyway to get around that? Is two cashiers checks a good work around?
Old 07-14-2008, 08:15 PM
Launching!

just get two payments and don't deposit both if cash, cashier check, money orders or same as cash item in an account on the same day or the bank will automatically reports you. Don't ask your bank for advice cuz they'll report you for suspicion.
Old 07-14-2008, 08:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why would you have to pay tax on the sale of your car?
Old 07-14-2008, 08:23 PM
Launching!

never heard of paying tax on sale of your own personal car? if you are a buisness and sell under that bnuisness name i believe you are required to report cash intake of 10k or more but we would always set up payment on paper so it was legitish. hehe the buyer will have to pay state tax when they try to register the vehicle.
Old 07-14-2008, 08:23 PM
EkS
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Wicked_muscle
just get two payments and don't deposit both if cash, cashier check, money orders or same as cash item in an account on the same day or the bank will automatically reports you. Don't ask your bank for advice cuz they'll report you for suspicion.
What if I cash the cashiers check where the check is being drawn from and then deposit the other in my account on the same day, will that work or should I do it on different days? Oh, and I would NEVER ask the bank this question.

Originally Posted by BigDaddyBry
Why would you have to pay tax on the sale of your car?
I believe it's income tax. But I believe it only gets reported to the IRS when you deposit $10k or more into your account.
Old 07-14-2008, 08:27 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by EkS
What if I cash the cashiers check where the check is being drawn from and then deposit the other on the same day, will that work or should I do it on different days? Oh, and I would NEVER ask the bank this question.

Income tax.
Income tax is correct. Buyer pays seller pays if over $10,000. Deposit the check one day and the cash another. Cashier checks are considered as cash. That's how it was when I worked at a bank.
Old 07-14-2008, 08:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you own the vehicle outright, wouldn't the fact you've already paid tax on it count?

It just doesn't sound right b/c if I owned a store and sold an item out of that store, would I pay tax? No, I would collect tax (which the DMV would be doing to the buyer in your instance).

Oh well, I'm not an accountant, so I just don't know these things.
Old 07-14-2008, 08:31 PM
EkS
On The Tree

Income tax is correct. Buyer pays seller pays if over $10,000. Deposit the check one day and the cash another. Cashier checks are considered as cash. That's how it was when I worked at a bank.
So just cash one check at the bank that it's written from and deposit the other into my account, right? Does it matter if they both have my name on them? Like what if they get both checks together and they say it's over $10k, or is that not even possible?
Old 07-14-2008, 08:33 PM
EkS
On The Tree

If you own the vehicle outright, wouldn't the fact you've already paid tax on it count?

It just doesn't sound right b/c if I owned a store and sold an item out of that store, would I pay tax? No, I would collect tax (which the DMV would be doing to the buyer in your instance).

Have you bought and sold cars? You pay taxes on cars all the time. So the govn't gets taxes EVERY TIME the car gets bought/sold, no matter how old it is.
Old 07-14-2008, 08:37 PM
Launching!

it's stupid as hell since that same good is getting taxed multiple times which is unconstitutional if I'm not wrong. That is why the builder does not pay tax on every piece of a product but on the final product.

Originally Posted by EkS
So just cash one check at the bank that it's written from and deposit the other into my account, right? Does it matter if they both have my name on them? Like what if they get both checks together and they say it's over $10k, or is that not even possible?
cash one take the other and deposit into your account. Next day or a couple of days later just deposit the cash. Don't cash both at the same time or the bank might ask you for info to do the report. Good luck.
Old 07-14-2008, 08:40 PM
EkS
On The Tree

Don't cash both at the same time or the bank might ask you for info to do the report. Good luck.
You mean, don't deposit the cash and the cashiers check at the same time, right? What if I do two different deposits are two different banks on the same day?
Old 07-14-2008, 08:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by EkS
Have you bought and sold cars? You pay taxes on cars all the time. So the govn't gets taxes EVERY TIME the car gets bought/sold, no matter how old it is.
Yes, that's why it seems asinine that in your situation both the buyer and the seller are paying taxes.
Old 07-14-2008, 08:44 PM
EkS
On The Tree

Yes, that's why it seems asinine that in your situation both the buyer and the seller are paying taxes.
Yeah, tell me about it. But hopefuly we won't have to
Old 07-14-2008, 09:30 PM
TECH Regular

You dont have to pay taxes even if you deposit 20k in your account. The money has already been taxed when the guy registers it. The form you fill out when depositing over 10k is for the bank to track large deposits to make sure you arent laundering money or other illegal activities. How do I know? I just sold my truck and deposited 13k in 50's at one time.
Old 07-14-2008, 09:37 PM
EkS
On The Tree

Originally Posted by primer84z
You dont have to pay taxes even if you deposit 20k in your account. The money has already been taxed when the guy registers it. The form you fill out when depositing over 10k is for the bank to track large deposits to make sure you arent laundering money or other illegal activities. How do I know? I just sold my truck and deposited 13k in 50's at one time.
You know you have to pay taxes on the $13k you deposited, right? You have to claim that "Income" for your 2008 taxes, and if you don't have enough deductions you'll get taxed by the IRS. Oh, and you might forget, but the IRS will eventually remember that you deposited that $13k.
Old 07-14-2008, 09:56 PM
Junior High Director

Originally Posted by EkS
You know you have to pay taxes on the $13k you deposited, right? You have to claim that "Income" for your 2008 taxes, and if you don't have enough deductions you'll get taxed by the IRS. Oh, and you might forget, but the IRS will eventually remember that you deposited that $13k.
I am pretty sure that you are incorrect....

In CA, the buyer is responsible for paying sales tax on a vehicle. Unless you are a dealer, you are not responsible for paying any sort of tax on the vehicle. Yes, the government tracks deposits of over $10,000 but as someone stated previously that is to be sure you are not laundering money or depositing income in which taxes were not paid (this situation does not apply)...

Take a look here and tell me if it states anywhere that you have to pay taxes as the seller - http://www.dmv.ca.gov/vr/vr_info.htm#BM2520
Old 07-14-2008, 09:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

you only pay taxes if the money you deposit earns more than $10 in one tax year
Old 07-14-2008, 09:59 PM
TECH Regular

actually, income tax gurus, its only taxable income if you make a profit on selling it. The buyer pays sales tax to the state, you dont owe income tax on it unless you sell it for more than you bought it. Look it up.
Old 07-14-2008, 10:02 PM
TECH Regular

a good example of when you would owe income tax on a vehicle sale is like you bought a 1969 Camaro and sold it today for like 150k. Obviously you have made a profit and therefore have to claim it as income. Me paying 18k for a truck and selling it for 13k is a loss and is not deductible, but is also not taxable.
Old 07-14-2008, 10:13 PM
EkS
On The Tree

Originally Posted by TITAN
I am pretty sure that you are incorrect....

In CA, the buyer is responsible for paying sales tax on a vehicle. Unless you are a dealer, you are not responsible for paying any sort of tax on the vehicle. Yes, the government tracks deposits of over $10,000 but as someone stated previously that is to be sure you are not laundering money or depositing income in which taxes were not paid (this situation does not apply)...

Take a look here and tell me if it states anywhere that you have to pay taxes as the seller - http://www.dmv.ca.gov/vr/vr_info.htm#BM2520
This is getting mixed up. I am not talking about having to pay SALES tax on the sale, I am talking about having to pay INCOME tax on the sale.

Originally Posted by Raptor_WS6
you only pay taxes if the money you deposit earns more than $10 in one tax year
It's $40, I know that. And that's a different issue.

Originally Posted by primer84z
actually, income tax gurus, its only taxable income if you make a profit on selling it. The buyer pays sales tax to the state, you dont owe income tax on it unless you sell it for more than you bought it. Look it up.
I have to look it up. But I think because when you bought the truck, you counted that as a deduction on your taxes. Now that you sold it, I believe it's still income. But only way the IRS knows is when the bank tells them that you just deposited $10k or more. And if they don't see that on your 2008 taxes, they start asking questions.

I'm not an accountant, so I am not sure. I'm going to talk to a friend that's in banking. But either way, I got my answer.

Quick Reply: Paying taxes when selling a car over $10k