Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Thinking about going back to school...

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 12:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking about going back to school...

Well I really wanted to goto school, and start doing Auto Body Repair at NVOC. I was sitting down, and thinking about what I want to do with my future. I dont think Auto Body Repair is something I really want to take up right now. So then again I was speaking to one of my close friends about the Criminal Justice course he is taking at ITT Tech in Sylmar. He told me its around $30k, and it almost a 3 year course. And the reason for me to take the C.J. class is so when I graduate, I can go into Law Enforcement.

So last night, I went to a friends house to chill, and knock back a few. So school becomes the topic of everyones conversation. Everyone starts talking about it, and I state what school Im going to, and what its about. And one of my other close friends starts telling me about how the Federal Jobs are getting major wage cut backs, and how its not really worth it go through with. Now Im starting to second guess if I really want to get into this. Because after school, and everything which is hopefully done by the time I turn 25, I want to move out of California to NYC.

Now Im deciding between Criminal Justice, or going back to NVOC or WVOC to take an EMT class, and then after that goto Fire Department Training, and so on. Almost everyone in my family is affiliated in the Medical jobs. So now if I decide to take the EMT class, I was planning on taking a few months off to go through the books, refresh my memory, and then register.

What do you guys think??? Would it be worth while to take the C.J. Course with Federal Careers are getting wage cuts? Please help me out, I would greatly appreciate any of your guys opinion on this.
Old 08-18-2008, 12:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

didn't think you had to have a degree to go into law enforcement...?
Old 08-18-2008, 12:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Soul TKR
didn't think you had to have a degree to go into law enforcement...?
Not really, its just to give us preperation for that career. Heres a description on the C.J. course:

Objectives
This program teaches the fundamentals of the criminal justice system and criminal justice skills. The program offers a foundation in criminal law, legal procedures, criminal evidence and criminology. Areas of study include law enforcement, the courts and corrections. Students are taught about the legal system and law enforcement standards to help them develop technical skills used in todays criminal justice environment. The upper-level courses enhance the study of the criminal justice system and expand into areas such as criminalistics, victimology and forensics investigations. The curriculum is designed to offer a balance of theory and application used in the field by integrating interpersonal skills and administrative subject matter. Students will examine the criminal justice process and study interpersonal communication skills. The program offers an interdisciplinary study of the mechanisms of social control, criminology and criminal justice in American society. Program content includes communication, criminal law and procedures, cybercrime and homeland security issues as well as technology skills. The program can help graduates cultivate particular human relations skills appropriate to the industry and an understanding of the causes and prevention of crime.

Career Opportunities
The program can help graduates prepare for careers in community corrections, the private investigation and security fields and law enforcement*. Upon completion of the program, graduates will have developed knowledge and skills that can be used to pursue entry-level positions involving a broad spectrum of criminal justice careers in the private sector involving workplace security, private investigations, and insurance investigations as private detectives, safety officers and security patrol officers. The program also offers the academic preparation to pursue entry-level positions involving criminal justice, such as local, state and federal law enforcement jobs in policing*, crime commissions, parole and probation, corrections and court systems.
Old 08-18-2008, 01:04 PM
On The Tree

From experience: If you want to go law enforcement apply first and go through the hiring process. For example the minimum requirements for a police department is HS diploma and over 21 years of age, no felonies, and no domestic misdemeanors. CJ can open some doors but it does not guarantee you getting the job. Once inside the department of your choise; thats when your degree would help. The initial process is the same when you apply even if you have a masters in law.
Old 08-18-2008, 01:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by MaroonLS1
From experience: If you want to go law enforcement apply first and go through the hiring process. For example the minimum requirements for a police department is HS diploma and over 21 years of age, no felonies, and no domestic misdemeanors. CJ can open some doors but it does not guarantee you getting the job. Once inside the department of your choise; thats when your degree would help. The initial process is the same when you apply even if you have a masters in law.
Oh alrite, so its pretty much NOT NEEDED, which I knew already. Just thinking about taking the course in the meantime to get some skills and everything set out. Since Im 19, I would have to wait until Im 20 1/2 to take the LAPD written test.
Old 08-18-2008, 01:08 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

If you want to go into law enforcerment go in to your local PD/Sheriffs office and ask to speak to someone about Joining, what they are looking for. call the PD of the City you may move to and ask them what they want in a deputy/officer.

You can also take those crimial Justice classes at a local JC and get a certificate in Criminal Science for alot less than 30k and then you are 1 step closer to a bachelors degree if you want to maove up the ranks to detective or what not.

FYI most federal Agency's require a Bachelors degree to get hired.
Old 08-18-2008, 01:20 PM
TECH Addict

im trying to get into law enforcement myself in nevada. its pretty simple. first step is register for a written and physical exam. if you pass both (they are VERY easy) you will then be interviewed. if you are what they are looking for they do an extensive backround check. you then then take a series of pyhsicals, psychological, and polygraph testing. then you are admitted into the police academy, usually an 18 week course and you do get college credits for it as well. if you pass that, then your in then what i plan to do is take classes on my days off and hopefully move up the ranks.
Old 08-18-2008, 01:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

for what it's worth school is a bunch of garbage...yeah some of you may not agree with me but it's the truth. School is worthless. I have several reasons to say this. LS1Stunna just do what makes you happy.
Old 08-18-2008, 01:30 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by L3THAL_Z28
for what it's worth school is a bunch of garbage...yeah some of you may not agree with me but it's the truth. School is worthless. I have several reasons to say this. LS1Stunna just do what makes you happy.
i agree. companies dont give a **** what your degree is in, they just want you to have one. thats some bullshit.
Old 08-18-2008, 02:01 PM
TECH Regular

Ever thought about the military? Do your 4, get some experience in LE or EMT if you want (MP's, Corpsmen, Medic etc), then get out and go to school for free.
Old 08-18-2008, 02:44 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by L3THAL_Z28
wow, what an ignorant statement...
Old 08-18-2008, 02:49 PM
TECH Regular

if you want to take criminal justice courses. go to a junior college. dont let itt tech rip you for $30k. And going to itt wont help u at all in law enforcement.
Old 08-18-2008, 02:58 PM
TECH Addict

^^^ I agree. I got my AA in Criminal Law in 2yrs for WAY less, from teachers that were actually in the field, some currently working their Law jobs too.

It is not really necessary in the first place anyways, it is simply a means of advancement in the field.
Old 08-18-2008, 03:13 PM
zjt
Staging Lane

cruissin, I agree that was an ignorant statement. An education is never a bad thing to have.

Yes, I am a college student, but before anyone rags on me, during the summer I work construction for a general contractor. I'll be the guy 20ft down in a rocky ditch in alaska laying 18ft sticks of ductile iron pipe, 10+hrs a day, 6 days a week.

Sorry for the

Anyway, ls1stunna, just do what make you happy and as I said earlier, getting educated never hurts
Old 08-18-2008, 03:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by cruiSSin LS1
wow, what an ignorant statement...
really? why do you think going to school is good? so that you can get a career and make ok money? tell me your reasons why you think my comment was ignorant before you go out and make such a statement

cruissin, I agree that was an ignorant statement. An education is never a bad thing to have.

Yes, I am a college student, but before anyone rags on me, during the summer I work construction for a general contractor. I'll be the guy 20ft down in a rocky ditch in alaska laying 18ft sticks of ductile iron pipe, 10+hrs a day, 6 days a week.

Sorry for the

Anyway, ls1stunna, just do what make you happy and as I said earlier, getting educated never hurts
that goes for you too...i agree with you that getting an education can't hurt, but the reason why people do it is what makes it worthless. If you wan't to go to school because you want to grow as a person that's all good but if you're looking to change your average life by going to school you're in for a reality check.
Old 08-18-2008, 05:15 PM
TECH Regular

and in law enforcment. atleast in lapd. education gets you alittle more initially, but does not help you with advancement. Advancement comes with time on. Taking test pertaining to the postions, interviews. and then they rank you and put you on a waiting list for open postions.
Old 08-18-2008, 05:19 PM
TECH Regular

Come on dude school isn't worthless, try opening up a doctors office with out going to school and let me know how that works out for you. Obviously you don't need school training for all jobs that pay well, but there are some fields that you cannot get into with out school training/education.
Old 08-18-2008, 05:33 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LS1stunna
Oh alrite, so its pretty much NOT NEEDED, which I knew already. Just thinking about taking the course in the meantime to get some skills and everything set out. Since Im 19, I would have to wait until Im 20 1/2 to take the LAPD written test.
i dont think you have to be 201/2 to take the written test. i just turned 20 2 months ago and took my physical ability test and written test for OPD. i passed my physical ability test but failed my written test by 2 points .I think you only have to be 201/2 to get into the academy
Old 08-18-2008, 05:47 PM
On The Tree

here is some more info i got for the city of orange pd

Salary: 5,040 - 6,463 per month

Officers receive up to $450/month for college degree/units and P.O.S.T. Certificates.
Officers assigned as Detectives receive 7.5% additional pay per month.
Officers assigned as Motors receive up to 6.5% additional pay per month.
Officers assigned as Canine Handlers receive up to 6.5% additional pay per month.
Officers assigned as Field Training Officers receive $150.00 per month.
Officers assigned as Crime Scene Investigators receive $150.00 per month.
Officers working designated shifts receive 2% shift differential.
Officers not working in special assignment with over 6 years of service. receive 5% longevity pay.
If qualified, officers may receive $200 per month bilingual pay.
Retirement - PERS 3% at age 50.
Medical - Single $656 Family $965.
Old 08-18-2008, 05:59 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by primer84z
Come on dude school isn't worthless, try opening up a doctors office with out going to school and let me know how that works out for you. Obviously you don't need school training for all jobs that pay well, but there are some fields that you cannot get into with out school training/education.
no one said school is worthless. just for that field depending on department it doesnt help you at all. your training comes from the academy. Also that itt tech is a scam of a place.

Quick Reply: Thinking about going back to school...