Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

I am pissed.

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 01:09 AM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Default I am pissed.

Ok, I am about ready to break something (either on the car, or on myself) just trying to get this rusted O2 sensor unbolted to replace it. Over the course of 3 days I've spent around 6 hours, two sets of clean clothes, and $30+ in sockets/adapters/penetrating oil trying to get this ******* pre-cat passenger O2 off and its not budging. The drivers side came off just fine. I've got a 3.8 V6 with the log manifolds and there is no room to get any good leverage on it. I tried soaking with PB blaster and letting it set for about an hour and that still wasn't enough. I am going to let it sit overnight and try it again early tomorrow morning, but I have a feeling it still won't budge. Any of you guys wanna take a stab at it? If not, what is a good shop that can do it without telling me some B.S. like they have to cut the manifold in half to remove the whole assembly and that it will cost me 3 days and $1000 for replacement parts?

P.S. I'm exaggerating about the 3 days and $1000, but there are lots of places around here that would try to pull some **** like that.
Old 09-09-2008, 01:17 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i really dont know about the v6 but have u tried a big wrench?
Old 09-09-2008, 01:21 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by ae13291
i really dont know about the v6 but have u tried a big wrench?
Tried a 1/2 socket, 3/8ths socket, even a 1/2 12" breaker bar. I couldn't find room to get any larger ones in there and be able to turn it worth a damn... I'll try everything again early tomorrow morning. Some dude said he was able to physically kick his loose, but he had newer style manifolds and may have had more room (tubular > log).

This is rediculous. I feel mechanically handicapped right about now.
Old 09-09-2008, 01:27 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Heat it up with a blow torch (cheap from any hardware store) and then try the wrench again...
Old 09-09-2008, 01:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i got mine off with a pretty big breaker bar as well...took some time i remember on my driver side and w-d40 was indeed my friend i let it soak for about 20min
Old 09-09-2008, 01:59 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

x2 on the torch
Old 09-09-2008, 02:01 AM
Staging Lane

Don't know what tools you have available, but I thought I saw a little while ago a tool that goes on an airhammer that is used to remove o2 sensors.
Old 09-09-2008, 02:35 AM
Staging Lane

try tightening it slightly that will hopefully break the threads loose
Old 09-09-2008, 08:59 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by camarossls12001
try tightening it slightly that will hopefully break the threads loose
Nope. Tightened it just a hair but wasn't able to loosen it the same amount or more.

Originally Posted by socal gto
Don't know what tools you have available, but I thought I saw a little while ago a tool that goes on an airhammer that is used to remove o2 sensors.
I probably have it, but what I don't have is air tools. I'm limited to wrenches, sockets, and breaker bars.

Originally Posted by MJs1FastSS
i got mine off with a pretty big breaker bar as well...took some time i remember on my driver side and w-d40 was indeed my friend i let it soak for about 20min
Lucky...

Originally Posted by 6LITEREATER
Heat it up with a blow torch (cheap from any hardware store) and then try the wrench again...
At this point I'm just ready to bite the bullet and take it to Pep Boys. Does anyone know of a better place?

My wrists are now screwed up, my arms are sore and cut up, one t-shirt and two pairs of jeans are now coated in motor oil sludge (it's messy in my parking spot), and now that I think about it - I have spent $65 on each of the 2 sensors, $10 on the penetrating oil, another $20 on socket size adapters, another $20 on the o2 sensor removal sockets, and now I have to spend another $20 on a torch just so I can crawl under the ******* car again (probably burning a body part or two) and bust my *** over a $65 part? I am done.

/rant
Old 09-09-2008, 10:41 AM
11 Second Club

well your on the right path, just keep soaking it in penetrating oil, that yellow pst works great, have you gone to the auto parts store to get that o2 socket thats kind of cut in half, start the car and stick a towel in the exhaust, let that bitch idle for awhile waiting for the exhaust to heat up, but stay close to the car to make sure nothing catches on fire, then shut the car off go in thier and try again. you dont need a torch if you can get the exhasut mildly hot. thats going to be your best bet.

and if your forced to go to a shop, take it to a muffler shop, never ever ever ever ever ever go to pep boys for anything but oil's and filters and cleaning supplies
Old 09-09-2008, 10:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

have you tried an impact drill? i have a cordless 19.2 volt one. if you can get it in there...i can come by with it and we can try it. if you want to PM me your address and phone number and what time youll be around i can try to help.

I used it on my strut bolts, and on my roommates scooter (on a bolt that his buddys couldnt get off on their scooters).
Old 09-09-2008, 11:10 AM
TECH Regular

tried a big pair of channel locks?
Old 09-09-2008, 11:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by m6ttop
tried a big pair of channel locks?
Vice grips would be better. If the torch doesn't work you may have to resort to removing the manifold entirely.

I once had an o2 not budge no matter what I did. I even took a 3' breaker bar too it and all it did was snap the sensor, sometimes they rust in there for good.
Old 09-09-2008, 11:36 AM
TECH Regular

Does the car run? Turn it on and let the exhaust get hot since you dont have a torch. Just put on some gloves and then try the breaker bar.
Old 09-09-2008, 11:58 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 6LITEREATER
+1

You should see what a bitch it was to do on a Mitsubishi Montero. The fram is right up against it, so you cant get a bite or any leverage whats so ever.

I had to remove the exhaust and take it to my work bench.

You can get a blow torch @ Home Depot in the tools or plumbing section. Get a cheap kind used to solder copper piping. Should be less than $20
Old 09-11-2008, 01:23 AM
12 Second Club

Tried heating up the exhaust by running the car for a little (with towel blocking one exhaust outlet) and then trying to remove it. Didn't seem to help removal any. Probably didn't get it hot enough?? (was burning my arms)

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
I once had an o2 not budge no matter what I did. I even took a 3' breaker bar too it and all it did was snap the sensor, sometimes they rust in there for good.
What a coincidence! See attached. Lets hope I can remove it with enough time and PB Blaster. On the plus side, I can now easily soak the precise area.
Attached Thumbnails I am pissed.-img_7038.jpg  
Old 09-11-2008, 10:53 AM
TECH Junkie

You may have to remove the exhaust pipe/manifold to do so like I did on my truck.

I was so pissed off, but that was the way I had to do it.

they were pretty easy to get at on my 3.4 Camaro, haven't had to mess with it yet on the LS1.
Old 09-11-2008, 10:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by ZexGX
Tried heating up the exhaust by running the car for a little (with towel blocking one exhaust outlet) and then trying to remove it. Didn't seem to help removal any. Probably didn't get it hot enough?? (was burning my arms)

What a coincidence! See attached. Lets hope I can remove it with enough time and PB Blaster. On the plus side, I can now easily soak the precise area.
Worst case scenario you can weld up the old bung, drill a hole and weld on a new o2 bung.
Old 09-11-2008, 10:56 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ZexGX

can I have your free big mac coupon.lol
Old 09-11-2008, 11:05 AM
11 Second Club

just take it to an exhaust shop, best bet

Quick Reply: I am pissed.