Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Gilbert Az

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2008, 03:36 PM
11 Second Club

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

Default Gilbert Az

My Fiance and I are considering moving to Gilbert, AZ. Her brother lives there now. I'm hesitant because I'm not familiar with the job market there.

If anyone can give me some good advice and where to look for work it would help out a lot.

I have a strong background in sales which includes car sales and gm membership sales/Assistant Manager. I've also was a merchandiser for a Beer company.

I have some college education. I don't want to make the move until I can find something that pays decently.
Old 09-15-2008, 03:43 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hit up the dealerships out there and try to land a parts department job. Try all the dealers not just gm dealers. Gonna be hard cause the economy sucks right now but you can try. Also go to the local community college there and go to the career center and see what they can do to help.
Old 09-15-2008, 03:50 PM
11 Second Club

Yea I thought about that. I would love to get into parts or as a service writer
Old 09-15-2008, 03:54 PM
On The Tree

service writer is slow right now. probably not a good place to go. Parts are always there though and it is just straight pay. unless you go work for toyota or honda as a service writer.
Old 09-15-2008, 03:58 PM
11 Second Club

Yea I can't find anything on craigslist or yahoo jobs
Old 09-15-2008, 04:46 PM
On The Tree

try monster.com and careerbuilder.com. Also do a google search for the local community college and give them a call. Calling the dealerships directly would not hurt either.

Do you have a resume made yet? not a standard resume but one designed for automotive sales/parts? If not make one and fax it over to all the dealerships if they like what they see they will call you.
Old 09-15-2008, 07:27 PM
11 Second Club

Thanks I'll look into those sites as well
Old 09-15-2008, 08:33 PM
Restricted User

gilbert itself has many strip malls not a lot of great income type business' many people live there and comute elsewhere. i have lived in gilbert for 8 years and love it! super safe it's a mormon ville city which kinda stinks but it's not all that bad. there are some new dealerships here now though as gilbert has seemed to allow many different types of business' in now.
Old 09-15-2008, 08:39 PM
11 Second Club

I don't really wanna sell cars any more but if I have to I will. I'm trying to get an idea of the job market and how easy it is to get jobs and how much you need to make to live comfy
Old 09-15-2008, 08:52 PM
Restricted User

living comfy is deffinately different to each person. how much you looking to spend on a house or rent i could point you in the direction of some places.
Old 09-16-2008, 03:22 AM
11 Second Club

Just remember this. you are coming from Ca. to AZ. There will be a drop in pay. But there will be a drop in monthly expenses also. I had the same thing happen to me 9 yrs ago when i moved here from WI. It all works out in the end. As long as you dont have newer cars. ( 07,08,09) you should be fine. That is where they get you here. your plates are based on the value of your car. Your Z should run about $100 a year to plate.
Old 09-16-2008, 01:06 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by juicdta
living comfy is deffinately different to each person. how much you looking to spend on a house or rent i could point you in the direction of some places.
Well I can rent a 1 bedroom apartment here for 1100-1500 or I could buy something in Arizona and pay the same. I'm just curious about what the average amount of pay is and how comfortable do you live off of that salary.

Originally Posted by LS1 FORMULA
Just remember this. you are coming from Ca. to AZ. There will be a drop in pay. But there will be a drop in monthly expenses also. I had the same thing happen to me 9 yrs ago when i moved here from WI. It all works out in the end. As long as you dont have newer cars. ( 07,08,09) you should be fine. That is where they get you here. your plates are based on the value of your car. Your Z should run about $100 a year to plate.
Interesting. Once Again I'd rather make a little less but not have to make due with an apartment or condo because that is the only thing I can afford.

Condos where I live go for 375k at the minimum and usually all the way up to 1.2 million. I'm tired of the cost of living out here. Cops harass you for a lot of petty ****.

We visited Gilbert Az at my fiances brother's house for a week and a half last August and I loved it. I'm just looking for some insight on how easy it is to get a job out that way and what types of work is best to get into out there....
Old 09-16-2008, 02:41 PM
On The Tree

I like Gilbert. It's a good town for the most part. The only issue I really have is with the PD, they're worthless, and I speak from personal experience, not the typical anti-authority banter. But if you could swing it, there are a lot of good homes for good deals in the Queen Creek area. There was a killer 2100 sq. ft house with an acre lot that they were selling new for about $350k. Hell of a deal, and they were huge lots that they would let you build a house on!!

As far as working at a dealership, forget about it. I know salesmen, and service writers. Both of them are really hurting for business. I worked at a dealership myself 4 years ago, and it was bad then. It's horrible now.
Old 09-16-2008, 04:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Job market here is pretty shitty these days. Plus now you're going to compete with every college kid looking for a job.
Old 09-16-2008, 05:08 PM

ARIZONA RIGHT NOW .... IS IN THE TOP 5 STATES IN THE COUNTRY FOR LOWEST PAYING JOBS, THEY ARE IN THE TOP 5 FOR JOBS THAT DONT PAY OVER $17.00 AN HOUR..... THE ECONOMY UNEMPLOYMENT IS AT 6.4 % ..... THE WHOLE US IS SUFFERING... IT WONT CHANGE ATLEAST TILL PRESIDENT DUMBFOCK BUSH IS OUT OF OFFICE.... ..... I can tell you this theres alot of gyms in arizona LOL... I know people working at... Golds, La Fitness, 24hour, ECT...... and there are Alot of Car Dealerships... but you have to look at the big picture... People right now are not buying New cars

If you move to AZ.... Good Luck... If you dont believe any of this do some of your own research.....
Old 09-16-2008, 05:31 PM
On The Tree

I hate when people have to bring politics into this, but here's a fact. My parents both worked at the Motorola plant on Broadway/Dobson. This was a huge plant that had grown from when it started in the 60's. The news that the plant was closing and going overseas first came about before the millenium, and before Bush. The reason the plant went away was from the Clinton era. Unless Bush somehow was able to influence and change the world before he was in office. I don't want to get into a political debate and I won't post more on this topic, but I just hate it when the facts aren't known.

As far as the lowest paying jobs... what jobs are these referring to? Blue collar, or white collar? I'm in a good white collar job right now, don't have an issue with that, but as far as the blue collar jobs, and general labor, that's easily attributed to the immigrant population here. Look at the influx we get, the more people there are to take the jobs, the less pay there is offered.

Last edited by campbellshotrods; 09-16-2008 at 05:33 PM. Reason: added info
Old 09-16-2008, 05:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

I moved here last year from a very high paying job. I had to totally start over. Now i'm in retail and while i'm maybe 15K a year off of what i was making in PA but the weather makes up for it. Plus the fiance makes a shitload of moneys so it's all good.
Old 09-16-2008, 09:12 PM
11 Second Club

Hmm interesting views. I guess I'll just have to apply to different jobs.

My Fiance's brother just got hired with Gilbert PD some maybe he can tell all the guys about my car so they don't pull me over lol
Old 09-17-2008, 02:04 AM
On The Tree

It's hard to always catch them. The other day I saw a Trans Am like mine pulled over by a completely unmarked Malibu! There was NOTHING on the car to distinguish it as a cop car, except for the strobes in the factory lights. LAME!

Then they hide around any corner they can to bust you going a couple miles over the limit. I see it outside my old job every morning, they hide up the street, and pull people over into the parking lot.

Quick Reply: Gilbert Az