What is it Worth? Use this forum to get feedback on vehicle prices - for selling or buying

2002 Trans Am 54k miles for $14k good deal?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 08:26 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Trans Am 54k miles for $14k good deal?

The car looks pretty clean, it could be a little cleaner, but not bad. One small ding in the rear 1/4 and a couple small scratches that look like they'd buff out. The interior is good, but the driver seat is showing wear and is tearing a little in the ribs along the back rest.

5.7 LS1, black with black leather interior, T-Tops, 54,xxx miles, 6spd

Mods:
WS6 Hood
SLP lid
new LS7 clutch installed at 51,000 miles
Pacesetter headers
off-road Y
GMMG chambered exhaust
Strano Springs
Koni Adjustable shocks
black/chrome lip ZR1 rims (17x9.5 front, and 17x11 in the back)
HID's, 12k lows and 6k fogs.

It also has an aftermarket 600 watt stereo system.

I also can get a MS3 cam from a buddy for $100 to throw in this car also. It should be over 400 to the wheels with that alone. I might be leaving Hawaii in 12 months, so I'm looking for a fun car that I wont lose much money on. If I pop a cam in this car, I'm thinking I'll at least break even if I only put 8-10k mile son it.

So all in all, what do you guys think? Sports cars tend to hold their value well here, so it may be a little high. I just sold my bolt on and cammed GTO for $25k though, so I could prob throw 6-7k at this and finance the rest.

Thanks for the input!
Old 08-26-2009, 08:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

i would say try to get it to 12k then it would be a good deal. 13k is still a good deal.. but i would not pay any more than that for it.
Old 08-26-2009, 10:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 436 Likes on 315 Posts

Being in Hawaii certainly limits your choices of F-bodies but you still need to do your homework before buying. You left out many important factors. Has the car been well maintained? Documentation of maintenance? How may owners and how do you feel the car was driven? Was it just owned by a teenager that knew nothing but full throttle? The mods would seem to indicate that the car has been used hard. I don't know, do you? Do you really want to spend $14,000 for this 'average' car? It certainly is not mint or close to excellent according to your description. If you feel satisfied with all these points I have asked about, then buy it. If not sure, be careful because it could be a money pit that you have $17k into within a few months and perhaps can only get back $10k in one year if you do leave the island like you suggested. You won't be close to breaking even. That thinking is just wishful thinking at best and seriously flawed in reality. Mods are not in your favor when selling in many instances. This is the situation the seller is in right now, plus it is a buyer's market, even in Hawaii. Make the situation work for you if this car checks out and is the car you still want. Be smart and good luck!
Old 08-26-2009, 10:11 PM
On The Tree

i think its a little high but its worth whatever someone thinks its worth
Old 08-27-2009, 01:23 AM
Teching In

Thanks guys. KBB says $13,800 for good condition and $14,200 for excellent. I'd say it's in between, so $14 seems fair.

The kid that owns it now has no idea what's in the car. He only posted it with exhaust and the new LS7 clutch. I know he hasn't driven it hard because it's got a shotty shift handle that slides off if shifted at all aggressively. He said it has been that way since he bought it and I believe him. He's NOT a V8 muscle car guy at all, and just cam over to the dark side from a VW GTI. He wants to move on to sport bikes now, you can tell he's not a V8 guy though.

Having driven it though, it does run pretty good. It'll break the tires loose easily on the 1-2 shift even with 315s on the back. F-Bodies do maintain their value here for whatever reason though. Maybe it's that muscle cars are more rare since they're expensive to ship. MY buddy just bought a H/C 02 Ws6 with 42k miles for $17k and the guy was asking $20k (which was high, even for here). Like I said I got $25k for a GTO that would propb only pull $21-22k on the mainland.

With all that being said, I think I'll offer him $13,500. Does that sound a little more reasonable?

Thanks for the help!
Old 08-27-2009, 12:26 PM
Staging Lane

just buy the car. Then think about what just happend after you buy it.. It is more fun thay way!
Old 08-27-2009, 12:33 PM
Teching In

LOL! Nice. Why you gotta be stawkin foo?
Old 08-29-2009, 09:14 AM
On The Tree

I say start at $12k and work with the guy.
Old 08-29-2009, 08:42 PM
Teching In

12k. 12.5 tops, good luck.