What is it Worth? Use this forum to get feedback on vehicle prices - for selling or buying

Need input on buyin my first LS1(pics inside)

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 06:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need input on buyin my first LS1(pics inside)

Long story short. Car used to be friends. He wrecked it and done only body damage. He and the body shop worked it out to "totaled" basically so he could get a new car. It wasn't totaled... I worked at the body shop he took it to and actually did some of the work on it. It happened in late 06. Body shop owner bought the car for 2500 from insurance. Fixed it up for his long time GF. She's put 3k miles on it since then lol. The imperfections in the whole car are basically the paint blend. In a heavy over cast a sharp eye can see the difference in color from front to back. It's hard to see tho. Interior is flawless.

Specs:
2001 SS M6
59k miles.
SLP exhaust and intake
TT2 wheels
Pro 5.0 shifter.
Cloth interior, but full options including steerig wheel controls etc.

Other than that, all stock.

He told me he wanted 7500 and I told him I'd give him 6500. Anyone have any input on the deal? What's gonna suck is I wanna get a small loan but wanna have liability... Anyone have any advice for this deal etc? Or opinions. The car is rock solid, just has a rebuilt title... Body is great.
Attached Thumbnails Need input on buyin my first LS1(pics inside)-5bd70d13.jpg   Need input on buyin my first LS1(pics inside)-fdabdd6f.jpg   Need input on buyin my first LS1(pics inside)-48354d47.jpg  
Old 11-18-2010, 06:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

that car doesnt look bad. does it need any repairs?
Old 11-18-2010, 06:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ULTIMATEORANGESS
that car doesnt look bad. does it need any repairs?
None at all. It's had mobil1 in it since day 1 as well. An older guy I believe bought it off of the showroom floor and then my buddy bought it.
Old 11-18-2010, 07:28 PM
On The Tree

I'd say go for it. There's a lot of negativity around rebuilt titles, but as long as it was quality work done I wouldn't be worried.
Old 11-18-2010, 07:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 202 Likes on 122 Posts

mine has a salvage title and i love it got all the looks and runs of one that dosents have a salvage title but cost less than half. Haggle him down much as possible tho
Old 11-18-2010, 07:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by COSTIGAN86
I'd say go for it. There's a lot of negativity around rebuilt titles, but as long as it was quality work done I wouldn't be worried.
That's what I'm thinking, and I hate it that it's "rebuilt", but there's not a chance in hell I would get a car that good overall for that price. Especially considering I know how it runs and what kind of abuse it's been put through.

The body shop owner(my former boss and friend) fixed it all up for his hot rod loving girlfriend so as u can imagine, it's about as good of work as he could do. She got a Vette about 3 months ago which is why she is getting rid of the camaro.
Old 11-19-2010, 09:36 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 442 Likes on 319 Posts

The price is too high mainly because of the title. If you need to sell for whatever reason in the immediate future you will have a tough time getting your $$ back. There is a reason why $2500 bought the car after the wreck and it doesn't matter what was done to the car afterwards, the bottom line is you are paying thousands more. Not good! Think what you can buy for $7500 with a clean title, and no problems selling if you need to. There are good deals out there on decent cars.
Now on the other hand, if you really want the car bad and you plan to own the car for years and years, it could be worth it if you can get it cheap enough. What price? Personally I wouldn't pay over $4,500 because you have to allow for more $$ to be put into the car. Only you know what your comfort zone is for sinking money into it. Just be wary that it could become a dreaded 'money pit'. If it does, now what? You would have a heavily invested car ($8,000 or $9,000) with a bad title that you need to sell. Ouch! Be careful and think it through. Good luck!
Old 11-21-2010, 02:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

I really appreciate the advice and words! I have taken all of that into consideration for quite sometime(as I said before, it's been about 4years since it all happened).

My plan for the car was to have it for a long time as you explained and I know, a rebuilt title is not an easy sale

I plan on having the car as just a bolt on tuned car until I get my student loans from mechanical engineering school paid off... After that, I envision a big street build, but that is far on down the road.

For this reason I see the car a worthy buy for myself as I have a DD, and can do as I wish with it(drive it or let it sit in my shop).

I do believe the price of his asking(7500) high, but from my stand point and position it "feels" like a bargain considering I've seen and been around for all of the cars work etc. I know how it's been treated and how the body repairs went(I actually have a good but of time into the body work) so I have a good feel for what shape the car is actually in. I totally understand that a buyer without all of my knowledge with it would not be this confident in the car, which is obviously why it would be a fairly hard sale down the road.

Thank youfor your time. I am still weighing out the options here and trying to make sure I make a good decision for the future. Again, if I were buying a car to sell in a few years I would not go this route... But since I plan on tearing into her in full depth in the future, i don't see it holding too much monetary value anyways
Originally Posted by NC01TA
The price is too high mainly because of the title. If you need to sell for whatever reason in the immediate future you will have a tough time getting your $$ back. There is a reason why $2500 bought the car after the wreck and it doesn't matter what was done to the car afterwards, the bottom line is you are paying thousands more. Not good! Think what you can buy for $7500 with a clean title, and no problems selling if you need to. There are good deals out there on decent cars.
Now on the other hand, if you really want the car bad and you plan to own the car for years and years, it could be worth it if you can get it cheap enough. What price? Personally I wouldn't pay over $4,500 because you have to allow for more $$ to be put into the car. Only you know what your comfort zone is for sinking money into it. Just be wary that it could become a dreaded 'money pit'. If it does, now what? You would have a heavily invested car ($8,000 or $9,000) with a bad title that you need to sell. Ouch! Be careful and think it through. Good luck!

Quick Reply: Need input on buyin my first LS1(pics inside)