What is it Worth? Use this forum to get feedback on vehicle prices - for selling or buying

97 Talon TSi

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 11:31 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 97 Talon TSi

Hey Guys,

Been trying to sell/trade my 94 Impala SS for a while now and have an interesting trade offer that I'm about to pull the trigger on. Its a black awd 5-speed 97 talon tsi. 123000 on the body, 4800 on the motor, 2300 on the trans. It has, among many other things, the following:

- Eagle forged crank/rods, JE forged pistons
- Big 16G
- Greddy FMIC
- Shep Stage 2 Trans
- Exedy Stage 3 Clutch
- Apexi N1 exhaust

Also comes with nib NOS n2o kit, crower 272 cams, and some other stuff. Car is clean as ****, only 2 rust spots on the rear hatch under the paint. Interior is mint, tan leather seats in perfect shape. Car pulls like a raped ape, drives nice. All work was done by AMS or Strictly Modified in schaumburg and the guy has every reciept.

Sooo, here's my question. I'm only interested at this point because it seems like I could turn this car and sell the stuff with it and make what I was originally asking for the Impala so's I can buy an ls1 . What do you guys think the car is worth with all the extra stuff? Got a friend who said he'd buy just the car for $6k but if that fell through I wanna know what I could realistically get for it. Any and all input is appreciated, and know that I plan to stay in the GM camp (current GM employee )! Thanks a lot!
Old 03-28-2011, 09:21 PM
Teching In

Tough question. I could see some mixed up soul paying $5k even for the Talon. Reading your post I thought of my old boat which I bought thinking I could turn a profit. $2k later I sold it for a loss and swore boats off. That Talon is your great white whale, leave it be. Save your money and do an LS1 swap into the '94...that is a beautiful car...
Old 03-28-2011, 10:10 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ThreeFiveSS
Tough question. I could see some mixed up soul paying $5k even for the Talon. Reading your post I thought of my old boat which I bought thinking I could turn a profit. $2k later I sold it for a loss and swore boats off. That Talon is your great white whale, leave it be. Save your money and do an LS1 swap into the '94...that is a beautiful car...
I'm pretty much done with the Impala. I only want the talon to turn around and sell it so I can buy a t/a or camaro. I wish someone would get serious and just buy my Impala but, what are you gonna do?
Old 03-29-2011, 08:02 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 437 Likes on 316 Posts

'Flipping' cars is not as easy as you think unless you have really done your homework or have a serious buyer lined up. Think it through so you don't get burned
Old 03-29-2011, 08:12 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check for rust on the strut towers, those 2g cars are famous for that. Other than that, it sounds like a solid car. I parted my built 1g out and got a lot more than I could have ever sold it for whole.
Old 03-29-2011, 08:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

2G talons are going for a premium right now and the 97 is the most desirable year (96-97 Talons were the most agressive looking of all DSM's...97 being the last model year period.). If its as clean as you say with receipts I could see it getting 7-8K honestly. It has to be CLEAN though. Honestly if you swapped the tan leather with some black cloth or leather seats you'd increase the value significantly. DSM's are one of those cars people really do look at tan interior and shy away from lol.

If its not a TSI AWD forget everything I said. AWD is where its at with the DSM community.
Old 03-29-2011, 11:09 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Summerwolf
2G talons are going for a premium right now and the 97 is the most desirable year (96-97 Talons were the most agressive looking of all DSM's...97 being the last model year period.). If its as clean as you say with receipts I could see it getting 7-8K honestly. It has to be CLEAN though. Honestly if you swapped the tan leather with some black cloth or leather seats you'd increase the value significantly. DSM's are one of those cars people really do look at tan interior and shy away from lol.

If its not a TSI AWD forget everything I said. AWD is where its at with the DSM community.
It is clean as hell. No rust on the strut towers save for surface rust on the bolts. Only rust on the body is a couple spots bubbling up under the paint on the hatch. It is an AWD 5-spd and the interior is like immaculate. The guy has reciepts for everything done, and its at least 10k invested. I just want $6k out of the car and maybe another $750 for the crower cams and NOS kit that come with it. Basically, I wanted $6500 out of the Impala, but apparently people don't have money for them so it might be easier to sell this talon for that.

Worst case scenario I get stuck with an 11 second car for a while lol.
Old 03-29-2011, 03:09 PM
Launching!

To help give you guys a better idea the condition this cars in, here's some pics the guy sent me
Attached Thumbnails 97 Talon TSi-imag0545.jpg   97 Talon TSi-talon-4.jpg   97 Talon TSi-imag0504.jpg   97 Talon TSi-imag0547.jpg   97 Talon TSi-imag0549.jpg  

97 Talon TSi-imag0550.jpg   97 Talon TSi-imag0551.jpg   97 Talon TSi-imag0580.jpg   97 Talon TSi-talon.jpg  
Old 03-29-2011, 03:49 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd do that deal and rock the talon for a while. You'll be addicted to the instant boost of that 16g. That thing would murder your Impala, and get 30mpg doing it.
Old 03-29-2011, 03:57 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My friend used to have a smurf blue talon. That little car was fast. We never raced, but I'm pretty sure it would have waxed my T/A. Like everyone has been saying you will be addicted to boost lol. You might not even want a ls1 car after having the talon for a bit.
Old 03-29-2011, 04:25 PM
Launching!

I appreciate the input guys, and don't get me wrong I love fast cars. But dsm's are just not my thing. But if I can find someone to give me like $6500 for this dsm, that would be cool. I personally think its worth every penny. I mean, the thing is cleaner than my car lol
Old 03-29-2011, 11:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

It has a shitty mishimoto radiator/cap setup. I don't recognize the exhaust manifold but its a tubular equal length manifold. Also has a goofy shifter setup...the stupid stickers in the license plate area and the "bullet hole" near the gas filler door. It could definitely use some engine cleaning but overall it looks pretty clean.

It would definitely get more then your Impala in the right circles. JMO.

Quick Reply: 97 Talon TSi