What is it Worth? Use this forum to get feedback on vehicle prices - for selling or buying

anyone else selling cars?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 02:05 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default anyone else selling cars?

i am having some trouble selling my 98 ls1 ta. it only has 33k miles on it, its a bolt on car and i started asking 13k negotiable for it. i am down to 10500 and still have not one serious offer.

am i over priced that bad?

or is it just the economy?
Old 05-25-2011, 07:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 442 Likes on 319 Posts

Well $13,000 was much too high but right now you are in the right price neighborhood with those nice low miles. The biggest concern for me, and others, are the mods. They scare away many people fearing abuse. Can you return the car to mostly stock? Remember that you don't get back much for the mods that you purchased, generally only 25%-33%, and even that is not a sure thing.
Also realize that your market with the mods is very limited and to a fairly young crowd. A $10,000 loan is not a piece of cake for a 13 year old car and just how many folks have 10 g's burning a hole in their pocket for a modded car?
I also do not know how you are advertising. Are you claiming great numbers at the track or anything to suggest a racing history? A big in the grand scheme of selling a car.
What venues are you listing the car for sale? I have had no trouble selling quality cars in these past few years through ebay, Autotrader and Hemmings. Top dollar too. Hopefully I have helped a bit and feel free to PM if you don't want to discuss openly.
Old 05-25-2011, 08:03 PM
On The Tree

i have honestly onlt taken it to the track twice...once stock and once after the mods.

i guess i can bring it back to stock buts its really just bolt ons, nothing that should really scare people away.

i had it on ebay and it only reached 8500. guess i can try autotrader
Old 05-25-2011, 08:28 PM
11 Second Club

A low mile Stock T/A (30-35k) should get atleast $10k - 13k was probably the "willing to wait for months" price
Old 05-26-2011, 07:48 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 442 Likes on 319 Posts

Originally Posted by Vader TA
i have honestly onlt taken it to the track twice...once stock and once after the mods.

i guess i can bring it back to stock buts its really just bolt ons, nothing that should really scare people away.

i had it on ebay and it only reached 8500. guess i can try autotrader
I stressed that sentence because it is just not accurate. I have seen several girls recently driving Trans Ams in the Atlanta area. I always thought that was pretty cool that girls liked our muscle cars. Each car that I saw was stock with factory exhaust. My point being that you are limiting your buying market by having these bolt-ons. Buyers can be put off by simply a different exhaust system so each mod that you add can potentially scare off buyers. I want a car I sell to appeal to as many people as I can, even people that normally weren't looking for this certain type of car. I'm sure you understand where I'm coming from. Of course there will be buyers for a modded car, just not the same number. I wouldn't give up on ebay but if your car is the black one from Staten Island with a nitrous kit and all that race work, you should have considered taking the money. That will be a tough sell despite how nice it is. An extremely limited market. Maybe that wasn't your car, I don't know.
** Just a side note: There are two other '98 T/A's on ebay right now that have less mileage and appear to be stock. Bad timing to say the least.

Last edited by NC01TA; 05-26-2011 at 07:56 AM.
Old 05-26-2011, 08:09 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NC01TA
I stressed that sentence because it is just not accurate. I have seen several girls recently driving Trans Ams in the Atlanta area. I always thought that was pretty cool that girls liked our muscle cars. Each car that I saw was stock with factory exhaust. My point being that you are limiting your buying market by having these bolt-ons. Buyers can be put off by simply a different exhaust system so each mod that you add can potentially scare off buyers. I want a car I sell to appeal to as many people as I can, even people that normally weren't looking for this certain type of car. I'm sure you understand where I'm coming from. Of course there will be buyers for a modded car, just not the same number. I wouldn't give up on ebay but if your car is the black one from Staten Island with a nitrous kit and all that race work, you should have considered taking the money. That will be a tough sell despite how nice it is. An extremely limited market. Maybe that wasn't your car, I don't know.
** Just a side note: There are two other '98 T/A's on ebay right now that have less mileage and appear to be stock. Bad timing to say the least.
+1....Some great advise here today.....
Old 05-27-2011, 12:20 AM
TECH Addict

I would say the 2 things that are making it a little harder to sell are
1. Its a 98, and although there is nothing wrong with them some people think there not as good as latter years because of the little differences
2. Its just a Trans Am, I would expect if it was a WS6 or a firehawk it would be easier to sell at a higher price to reflect the lower miles, since people who are generally willing to pay a little more for a garage queen with low miles will generally want at least a WS6 or a firehawk.
Old 05-27-2011, 07:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

pics pics and pics. advertise more clearly and carefully be honest as to condition too. for that kind of money, i don't know if you can even get a car loan for a 13 year old car. maybe high interest rates so that's going against you too.

Quick Reply: anyone else selling cars?