What is it Worth? Use this forum to get feedback on vehicle prices - for selling or buying

Im i getting a good deal?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 03:52 PM
Bwp
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Im i getting a good deal?

So a local guy is selling a 2004 gto ls1 engine and auto transmission. the engine he said had a little over 56k miles on it. When he got the motor dynoed it made around 440hp. reason for selling is that his car got hit hard at the side at the rear. He is asking for $3500. right now the motor is in a truck cause he was planning on putting it in their but now he doesnt want to.

this is what he has done to it:

comp cam .598/.598 lift
fast five 90/90 intake 9inch
3500 stall converter
under drive crank pulley

Things that are missing is a ecu, he replaced the oil pan from a different engine since the original gto oil pan was cracked for some reason. I asked for the original parts and he said he sold it all to friends.

Now i told him that i do not want the auto trany and the converter, so he told me he sell for 2500. I told him i would take the engine for 2000 and he didnt disagree with me, said he wait a little longer if somebody else might offer more. i told him he could keep the headers since ill be fabbing up my own.

I really want the gto oil pan. I guess if he calls me back up, which im confident he will, i will tell him to find me a gto oil pan and he can keep what ever pan is on the motor now.

So my question is, is the engine itself with all the accessories worth 2,000?

Some pictures:

Thanks,
brent
Old 07-20-2011, 04:35 PM
On The Tree

That pan is a truck pan... its worth maybe $40, a GTO pan will cost about $150-175 or so to buy outright. The intake/tb is worth pry around $900 or so, the cam $225, $125-150 for the underdrive. Im assuming he also has supporting valvesprings for the cam, id make sure of that at least. Id say its a pretty decent deal but keep in mind the wiring harnesses are bringing a premium on ebay.
Old 07-20-2011, 04:47 PM
Bwp
Teching In

Ill ask him next time we talk for the supporting valve springs. He has a stand alone wire harness for me, just no ecu.
Old 07-21-2011, 10:05 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 436 Likes on 315 Posts

I sure would like some 'guarantee' or paperwork showing the true mileage of the engine and it's running condition. How well was the work done on it? Otherwise you pissed away $2,000 for a headache. Be careful. It wouldn't be the first time an engine was 'misrepresented'.
Old 07-21-2011, 10:19 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That looks a little scary to me w/ the motor opened up like that and all dirty $2000 for the motor and tranny r worth it considering the intake,cam,stall & pully would cost that alone !!!!!!!Take off the value cover and look inside to see how clean it is first then make sure u can turn it over by hand !!!!!!!
Old 07-21-2011, 10:26 AM
11 Second Club

Before you buy it, I'd pull the covers and the heads so you can check the rockers, springs, pushrods, etc - make sure it has what he says it has and that there's no damage already done
Old 07-21-2011, 04:15 PM
Bwp
Teching In

thanks guys for the input.

I think i am going to let this one slide by and not get it. The more i thought about it the more i didnt want it. I usually buy things that are unmolested and start clean just because you never know whats all been done and the quality of how someone works on things and takes care. To be honest when i went to go look, everything else i saw around the truck and garage was sloppy and kind of trashy as in the guy does not take care of his possessions. Not sure about you guys but i dont sell the oem parts when i get aftermarket stuff just because you never know if something happens. Ill just look for something thats complete and stock or perhaps someone thats willing to let me pull the engine my self from the car.

Quick Reply: Im i getting a good deal?