What is it Worth? Use this forum to get feedback on vehicle prices - for selling or buying

2002 formula

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 07:33 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 formula

I have a buddy that blew his engine. It is a 2002 formula. the transmission and tq converter that was installed about a month before the engine blew was $3500 bucks and I installed it for him. It has adjustable rear upper control arms, adjustable panhard bar, adjustable tq arm. aftermarket trans bracket. long tube headers and ory. HP tuners with a custom tune. It also has nice leather seats new c5 replicas with new rubber on them. He wants 6k for it. I have a ls1 at a friends that needs freshend up but is a good rebuildable complete motor. I am thinking about pulling the trigger on it, but what do yall think? He owes 5900 on it so it wont be had for cheaper than that.
Old 01-17-2012, 09:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

WOW! No way would i come close to paying the pay off with out a engine running in it.
Old 01-17-2012, 09:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

That sucks for him.....

Income tax is around the corner
Old 01-18-2012, 07:16 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 442 Likes on 319 Posts

Originally Posted by flippincamaro
WOW! No way would i come close to paying the pay off with out a engine running in it.
Totally agree.
Old 01-18-2012, 07:56 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by NC01TA
Totally agree.

Old 01-21-2012, 09:29 AM
TECH Resident

Sounds like the cars been beat to hell and back too, he's going to be lucky to get half of what he's asking for it. You can get a good running car with under 100k miles on it for $6k, why the hell would you spend that on a beat car with a blown motor?
Old 01-21-2012, 09:01 PM
On The Tree

the car was beat to hell and the guy is dumb. I put almost all of the parts on the car from another friends car that was wrecked. The engine and shocks and springs are really all that is left from original for the car. I am gonna look around, however 6k for the car and I have sourced a ls1 for 600 and another 1500 into that motor and the car should be all good with everything I want, just like my old camaro! I understand that it is damaged but kbb on the car is 12k so I was thinking 6k actually 5900 is good. I will try and low ball him I suppose.
Old 01-22-2012, 08:44 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 442 Likes on 319 Posts

Originally Posted by southernculture
the car was beat to hell........ I understand that it is damaged but kbb on the car is 12k so I was thinking 6k actually 5900 is good.
www.kbb.com is not to be used for a car like this. Throw out all price guide lingo on a car with a blown engine and 'beat to hell'. You are just kidding yourself.
Old 01-22-2012, 04:51 PM
On The Tree

Engines blow. I am not sure the car is "BEAT TO HELL" I guess yall think its too high. That is what I was asking. I will deffinately will pout some thought into this. The car is infact not beat to hell. The motor is blown. The guy that has it has only had for a short while, the P.O. had used the car. My old 99 z28 I beat it to hell then sold it for 10k after it was needing headwork and a new rearend and a clutch. I guess a car is worth what others are ready to pay for it. Thanks for the input.
Old 01-22-2012, 06:39 PM
TECH Resident

The motor and transmission have blown in it already, unless it has high miles it's been beat or not taken care of. How does it book for $12k?? Is that the retail in perfect shape on it? I think the retail on my Formula with 56k on it is around $12k. His is an auto, which in the real world is worth less, and unless it was a spotless, low owner, low mile, no paint work car it's not worth near $12k in running condition. Look in the for sale section on this site, like I said before $6k could get you a nice running car with under 100k miles on it.
Old 01-22-2012, 08:04 PM
On The Tree

I am not trying to start I think I am actually gonna pass on it. The trans in it is a built model with a custom tq converter. old trans was fine but was replaced with the beefed up unit. The body and interior is perfect, I was thinking on trying to flip but not anymore. I have forund a 63k mile black 98 t/a for 8500 that needs nothing and really looks better to me. I had a 1999 z28 that I loved but it wasnt my dream car. The Ram air T/A in black is my all time favorite car. I am gonna get that if anything. I really dont even need a fast car anymore. Thanks for the input and making me question what I am doing.