What is it Worth? Use this forum to get feedback on vehicle prices - for selling or buying

01 Z28 totaled for 3k???

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 08:51 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 01 Z28 totaled for 3k???

hey guys i was looking into buying this 01 z28 it had like 56k on the clock had been in an accident and when i say accident i mean it had been rolled multiple times there was not a straight body panel on the vehicle. The motor did start and run and sound alright. The interior was trashed it cloth and nothing was good because of the collsion. It was an auto transmission although the car would not move so i figured the tranny could very well be junk. I told the guy I would give him 1500 cash, and the persons dad looked at my like i had insulted him, he says i was looking more for around 3k for this. I havent been in the lsx game for very long but was i really off on price that much? It seems to me that what the guy wants is a little high. Am i completely out of the ball park price wise or what?
Old 02-12-2012, 09:04 AM
Trunion King

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No. There are cars, ls1 fbodies selling at that price. Granted it's higher mileage however it's not totaled.
Old 02-12-2012, 09:06 AM
12 Second Club

3k is way too much. I think your offer was pretty good. If you are looking for a used motor I would look for a running dropout.
Old 02-12-2012, 09:10 AM
Launching!

I paid $2k for my donor car a few years ago. 99 Z with 80k. Same condition except mine wasn't rolled but was kept in poor shape by a female owner. Only thing I have now that was from that car is kmember and short block. I would say for the mileage $2k/$2500 would be fair for the both of you.
Old 02-12-2012, 09:12 AM
Launching!

Oh and the 01 has better heads and LS6 intake.
Old 02-12-2012, 09:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i think you shot them a suitable offer..imo
Old 02-12-2012, 09:40 AM
Launching!

Don't budge on that $1500 offer. You can drive away in many f-bodies for 3500-4k. You didn't insult the guy's dad, you just slapped him in the face with the realistic value of the car
Old 02-12-2012, 09:53 AM
Teching In

^^^this. I bought my 98 z for $3k. The body was very good and interior was near perfect but needed a motor and clutch plus a few other minor things. $1500 is a fair price for essentially a drop out drivetrain.
Old 02-12-2012, 10:01 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks guys. I really wish I had pictures of the car it was in bad bad bad shape but motor seemed ok. The wheels were trashed on it also but he wanted to keep the wheels. I just couldn't believe the attitude he gave me when I said 1500. His son seemed like he was ready to take my offer. They were telling me that they saw motors for 1200 on line and I said that is reasonable. Sorry for rambling but I'm just irritated the dad gave me the attitude when I thought I offered a realistic price.
Old 02-12-2012, 10:07 AM
Launching!

Tell them to take the time out of their day and feel free to do the labor in yanking the drivetrain from all that twisted metal. This is another reason why $1500 is a fair offer, you have some manual labor in front of you to get that switched over. If they truely wanted to maximize the value of everything, they would part it out themselves. They are just trying to get the "part-out" price without doing any of the hard work.
Old 02-12-2012, 10:49 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

completely fair offer...^^^^ is exactly right!!
Old 02-12-2012, 11:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

if i recall correctly, the fair market value of an R-title car is 65% of what the fair party private value would be. meaning this camaro in good shape is valued at 7,000.

The exact same camaro z28 completely restored would be worth around 4,000 dollars.

Now, go back and ask that genius that looked insulted if this car can be repaired in good running order for 1,000 dollars for parts and labor.

then put 1,500 dollars cash in his face, and let him know the flat bed will be there to grab the car later this week.
Old 02-12-2012, 11:15 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,059 Posts

Originally Posted by arock24
Tell them to take the time out of their day and feel free to do the labor in yanking the drivetrain from all that twisted metal. This is another reason why $1500 is a fair offer, you have some manual labor in front of you to get that switched over. If they truely wanted to maximize the value of everything, they would part it out themselves. They are just trying to get the "part-out" price without doing any of the hard work.
Originally Posted by RADEoN
if i recall correctly, the fair market value of an R-title car is 65% of what the fair party private value would be. meaning this camaro in good shape is valued at 7,000.

The exact same camaro z28 completely restored would be worth around 4,000 dollars.

Now, go back and ask that genius that looked insulted if this car can be repaired in good running order for 1,000 dollars for parts and labor.

then put 1,500 dollars cash in his face, and let him know the flat bed will be there to grab the car later this week.
Agreed and agreed.

This car is worth almost nothing, because of extensive damage and the fact that it would be a salvage title (assuming they must've filed an insurance claim?). Even if they never filed with insurance and the title is still clean, nobody is going to fix up that shell if it's damaged that bad - it just wouldn't be worth it when these cars are still so easy to find for sale.

This car's only real value is parts, and right now someone will have to do the labor to get all those parts free from the car. $1500 is the most I would EVER consider offering for something like this, with the car itself being a worthless shell and only drivetrain parts being of any value (but still attached). I mean, you can't even drive the car away, so you have to arragne and pay for transport, plus do all the disassembly labor, etc. For all you know, the only item that might be worth anything significant is the engine, since trans operation can't even be verified.

Actually, I think more like $1000 would be fair. $3k is totally out of line and you should have looked at HIM like YOU were insulted that he'd think you'd be so willing to be screwed.

Last edited by RPM WS6; 02-12-2012 at 11:21 AM.
Old 02-12-2012, 11:24 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by arock24
I asked them if they would be pulling the motor and i know for sure he wouldnt be pulling it themselves. My girlfriend started to get annoyed with me on the ride home because i kept reiterating how crazy this guy was thinking he was going to get 3k. When we left her words to me were "I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU THOUGHT ABOUT BUYING THAT WOW" and she is reasonable with me buying stuff (usually). O well i guess ill find one somewhere else hopefully for a better deal. Well now at least people have agreed with me and i can sleep at night because i felt kinda bad thinking i insulted him with a price.
thanks for all the help

Quick Reply: 01 Z28 totaled for 3k???